Sig item versus signing log

Zor

Earlier this year, I had a pile of ceramic poker chips made to use as a signature item. I've been dropping them in caches ever since when the cache is large enough to hold them.

My question to you folks is, is dropping your sig item in a cache the same as signing the log? It indicates you were there. I always sign the log anyway, but I was thinking that perhaps dropping the sig is enough.

The other side of the coin is that sig items often get collected by folks so it doesn't remain.

What are your thoughts?

It's only proof that you were there until the next person takes the signature item. I have a large collection and any time I see someone new I take their sig item.

Why not write a story in the log book for all following cachers to read. This is somewhat different from logging your story online.

And to be technical, the following http://www.geocaching.com/faq/ states:

What are the rules in Geocaching?

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

Edited by trainlove

Some of the older log books are great to read. Anymore though there's nothing more than a sig and a date.

But leaving a sig item instead of signing the log doesn't work too well, when a collector of sig item's (there's nothing wrong with that, I've got a nice collection of sig items) see's one they don't have so they trade out for it.

Earlier this year, I had a pile of ceramic poker chips made to use as a signature item. I've been dropping them in caches ever since when the cache is large enough to hold them.

My question to you folks is, is dropping your sig item in a cache the same as signing the log? It indicates you were there. I always sign the log anyway, but I was thinking that perhaps dropping the sig is enough.

The other side of the coin is that sig items often get collected by folks so it doesn't remain.

What are your thoughts?

No, it's not the same and it doesn't mean that you've been there. Many people collect sig items so they don't always remain in the cache. Also, some people move them. I once found a cache that contained one of my sig items that had made it there long before I did. :) Keep signing the log.

What are your thoughts?

No, it's not the same and it doesn't mean that you've been there. Many people collect sig items so they don't always remain in the cache. Also, some people move them. I once found a cache that contained one of my sig items that had made it there long before I did. :) Keep signing the log.

ECHO :D

We leave a sig item if it will fit and intend for a collector to grab it. If the CO wants to grab it that is OK too. We also take a sig item if we find it. We always sign the log. Once we found one of our sig items in a cache that we had not visited before. One or more cachers had moved it around. Bottom line, always sign the log.

I leave my sig item and sign the log book. I also am always hoping to find sig items to trade for!

I'll sometimes just sign my name, other times write more. Depends on the cache. I always wonder how many people read the logs. I know when I find a good one, I'll read. I need to start doing it more, actually.