Selling on a gps

I'm wanting to sell my Etrex vista as I've updated to an Oregon. Garmin tell me that the unit is registerd in my name and that it cannot be changed. Therefore anyone buying it would not be able to purchase new mapping such as Topo and unlock it to that unit. I'm told that there are only 2 unlocks one registered to the Vista and the second to my Oregon and the only way round it would be to sell both units and my Topo mapping cd together. Has anyone come up against this problem and is there any away round it?

I would not want to sell the Vista to some-one if they could not make full use of it by adding mapping soft ware

Norlandwanderer UK

I'm wanting to sell my Etrex vista as I've updated to an Oregon. Garmin tell me that the unit is registerd in my name and that it cannot be changed. Therefore anyone buying it would not be able to purchase new mapping such as Topo and unlock it to that unit. I'm told that there are only 2 unlocks one registered to the Vista and the second to my Oregon and the only way round it would be to sell both units and my Topo mapping cd together. Has anyone come up against this problem and is there any away round it?

I would not want to sell the Vista to some-one if they could not make full use of it by adding mapping soft ware

Norlandwanderer UK

I think as long as you have two receivers registered to your software it would be better if the buyer purchased his own software. You probably could install your software on his machine and he could load any maps he wanted, but Garmin might frown on that. As far as selling the unit itself I was told by Garmin as long as you call in and let them know who you sold it to, and he gives them a follow-up call there would be no problem with him re-registering it.

I thought when you purchase the software such as Topo 2008 you can unlock the software to what ever unit you want to use with it. But once it is unlocked to that unit that is the only unit you can use it with. So someone could purchase you vista as you got it from the factory and buy what ever software they want to use with it from Garmin.

I'm wanting to sell my Etrex vista as I've updated to an Oregon. Garmin tell me that the unit is registerd in my name and that it cannot be changed. Therefore anyone buying it would not be able to purchase new mapping such as Topo and unlock it to that unit.

This sounds kind of strange. Why would Garmin pass up the opportunity to sell a map product to the new owner of the device? I can see them saying that your current map software can't be transferred, but the device itself?

I thought when you purchase the software such as Topo 2008 you can unlock the software to what ever unit you want to use with it. But once it is unlocked to that unit that is the only unit you can use it with. So someone could purchase you vista as you got it from the factory and buy what ever software they want to use with it from Garmin.

This past year I sold my 60CSx and the associated City Navigator DVD to someone, and I all did was email Garmin support the information and told them I sold the gps and DVD to this person and they just transferred it all to his Garmin account. No fuss, no muss... all I had to do was provide the persons name and address, the serial of the GPS etc.

After the transfer happened, the 60CSx and dvd no longer showed up on my Garmin account. Just call or email them, they will do it.