can I load more caches in my gpsr by increasing the memory?

cb12374

I have a garmen gpsmap 76csx and at this time I can load 500 waypoints and that will cover the caches up to 25 miles from my home but I often travel up to 200 miles from home for work and would like to load more caches to cover that area so if I go from the 128mb chip that came with it to a 1 g will I be able to load more on it?

You can load up to 1000 waypoints which are stored on the units flash memory so it wouldnt matter what size card you put in it. By the way 2gigs is the biggest it will see. You can load more than 1000 waypoints as POI using Garmins POI Loader (free). Download and install it and then just turn on your gps, point the program to your GPX file and run install them. There is also the GSAK poi option.

Then there is the options of what icons you want them loaded as, it will just be a dot unless you use something else. You will have to put that file in the same folder as the gpx file and name it the same, say not found.gpx and not found.bmp, when you run and install.

Edited by IBcrashen

If you were a premium member you could take advantage of customized POI's, as IBcrashen suggests. The specialized waypoints are stored on a .gpx or .csv file which you download to your data card. As a p-m you use MapSource/EasyGPS/GSAK to create the file en masse from your pocket queries. GSAK goes an extra step and offers customization of the waypoints. As a non member you can still generate the files, but you'll have to upload waypoints 20 at a time from the website.

As an example of what you can fit on the card, my 14000 cache POIs take up about 3mb of space on my 2gb card. Each POI can hold up to 44 characters in the title and 88 in the note/comment field.

I think that POIS on a Garmin act slightly differently than Geocaches.

I.E. I don't think you can search them out as you can a cache.

I know they can't be marked as 'found' and therefore show up in the calenday of your daily 'finds' on your GPSr.

but other than that, that's the only way to get more places on your GPs. That's the only way to use the SD card for more than additional maps.

In this reguard I love my Magellan, but I also hate it for other reasons.

You can search somewhat the same way, ie by closes or by name ( its labeled "nearest containing" and you type in the gc name or however you name them). You cant search by symbols sort of. You could load different cache types as different data bases you could, more steps involved. You can choose your data base of POI`s loaded in which to search.

Yes, you can search Custom POI's on a Garmin by "nearest" or by "nearest containing" certain characters you select in the POI name. You cannot search by "multi", "traditional", "unknown", etc. However, custom POIs can include child waypoints such as parking for a cache and these too are searchable by "nearest" or by "nearest containing" certain characters you select in the POI name.

For regular POI's (the ones embedded in the maps) you can search by categories. For example, under "Transportation" there is "auto rental", "air transportaton", "ground transportation", etc. For restaurants, there are different types of cuisine.

Usually, it shows the 50 closest unless you change your reference point.

I know they can't be marked as 'found' and therefore show up in the calenday of your daily 'finds' on your GPSr.

True, but they can be updated with a new icon showing a "smilie" with your next PQ. (Using GSAK and the Custom POI Macro)

but other than that, that's the only way to get more places on your GPs. That's the only way to use the SD card for more than additional maps.

In this reguard I love my Magellan, but I also hate it for other reasons.

The thing I liked about my Merigold was being able to load/unload waypoint files from the SD card on the fly - however, limited to 500 at each time. Lately, I've been using a Vista HCx.

So, Trainlove. Done any rappelling lately?

So, Trainlove. Done any rappelling lately?

No. But at a cousins house they have a rope swing, where the rope is from the crack of a tree some 80 feet up. Too bad I don't know how to up-reppell using a prussik knot.

But at a recent ham radio flee market I bought, for $5, a roofers climbing harness. I'm not sure I'll ever use that for rappelling.

And at a recent booksale, The Round The Mountain biannual sale (Mt Monadnock) I saw a Boy Scout merit badge book (I think I already had that one) on climbing, and it shows how to make a Swiss Climbing harness out of rope or strapping. I might try that.

And at a local Army Navy store they have some kermantle rope cheep. Seems like they only rate it for 400 pounds static strength, not dynamic strength.

At the bottom of the screen displaying a POI, you are given a choice of saving the POI as a waypoint. If you select SAVE, the POI gets converted to a regular geocaching waypoint with the geocaching attributes, including getting logged in the calendar.

There are some caveats worth mentioning: The converted POI cuts into your 1000 waypoint limit; no hint/note info is transferred (you can always refer back to the POI); and the default icon used to save the POI is the symbol you last used.