Goin' Old School

tsunrisebey

I think Tsun :) it is time you most cache in the netherlands :P

Great coin B) , great design B)

Brilliant idea, and when you're there, it's only a few miles east and your in Germany. Lots of nice caches here, too. Even ones, where you would have to hike in the mountains.

Okay, strike that, compared to the Rockies our mountains are mere hills... :laughing:

Steep enough, but when there's a cache up there, I will go. I noticed, most caches tend to be at the highes and most difficult to reach point of the incline... :laughing:

Just love your design for this great personal coin! Brilliant work. Did you do your avatar as well?

Thanks for all the really nice comments :P I'll be doing some traveling this upcoming year. Headed to GCF in SLC and the event in Champoeg (Oregon) and who knows where else I'll be traveling, maybe even get into Canada. As always, if you get in the Helena area, get in touch with me, we can grab a cache and I always buy dinner for my fellow cachers traveling through :laughing: Anyone headed to Glacier let me know, I'm always looking for a reason to spend time in and around the Park.

Thanks for all the really nice comments :laughing: I'll be doing some traveling this upcoming year. Headed to GCF in SLC and the event in Champoeg (Oregon) and who knows where else I'll be traveling, maybe even get into Canada. As always, if you get in the Helena area, get in touch with me, we can grab a cache and I always buy dinner for my fellow cachers traveling through :laughing: Anyone headed to Glacier let me know, I'm always looking for a reason to spend time in and around the Park.

Champoeg, eh??? There is hope yet :P !!!!!

Thanks for all the really nice comments :P I'll be doing some traveling this upcoming year. Headed to GCF in SLC and the event in Champoeg (Oregon) and who knows where else I'll be traveling, maybe even get into Canada. As always, if you get in the Helena area, get in touch with me, we can grab a cache and I always buy dinner for my fellow cachers traveling through :laughing: Anyone headed to Glacier let me know, I'm always looking for a reason to spend time in and around the Park.

We love Glacier - saw some grizzlies the last time we were in the area and the place with the old buses is pretty cool!

If you ever come across the border - make sure to check out the "northern" part of Glacier - Waterton Lakes. One of the nicest parks I've ever been to (I've lived/worked in a couple National Parks - Waterton wasn't one of them, but I wish it was).

Of course, If you ever do make it north, let me know if you're in the Calgary area - I'm always happy to meet cachers from around the globe!

We love Glacier - saw some grizzlies the last time we were in the area and the place with the old buses is pretty cool!

If you ever come across the border - make sure to check out the "northern" part of Glacier - Waterton Lakes. One of the nicest parks I've ever been to (I've lived/worked in a couple National Parks - Waterton wasn't one of them, but I wish it was).

Of course, If you ever do make it north, let me know if you're in the Calgary area - I'm always happy to meet cachers from around the globe!

You free during the Stampede? :laughing:

Thanks for all the really nice comments :unsure: I'll be doing some traveling this upcoming year. Headed to GCF in SLC and the event in Champoeg (Oregon) and who knows where else I'll be traveling, maybe even get into Canada. As always, if you get in the Helena area, get in touch with me, we can grab a cache and I always buy dinner for my fellow cachers traveling through :) Anyone headed to Glacier let me know, I'm always looking for a reason to spend time in and around the Park.

Champoeg, eh??? There is hope yet :D !!!!!

Ohh,I fogot about Champoeg! Not that I wouldn't mind going back to Montana, it IS a beautiful state!

great coin tsun!!!

Stephanie, Hopefully you had a very nice Thanksgiving yourself, just got back from Thanksgiving weekend in Missouri. Visited with CF30 and her better half and a couple other geocachers there. Nice to see you again Sarah. :rolleyes: Stephanie after going to Montana and having the opertunity to meeting you and had the chance to visit all the beautiful sights, the personal geocoin fists you to the perfect point. We can see why you love Montana. The Mountains are beautiful. Congradulations on your personal geocoin it is beautiful.

Thanks for all the really nice comments :rolleyes: I'll be doing some traveling this upcoming year. Headed to GCF in SLC and the event in Champoeg (Oregon) and who knows where else I'll be traveling, maybe even get into Canada. As always, if you get in the Helena area, get in touch with me, we can grab a cache and I always buy dinner for my fellow cachers traveling through :rolleyes: Anyone headed to Glacier let me know, I'm always looking for a reason to spend time in and around the Park.

You free during the Stampede? :)

Yup! My Stampede schedule is:

1) Wake-up

2) Eat free breakfasts from one of the giant outdoor company events

3) Get to work...sometime... leave work ... sometime....

4) Attend networking events, parties, events, parties....

5) Repeat

:unsure:

For those that haven't been to Calgary during the Stampede....it's .... different... :ph34r:

Ohhhh darn, now I've gotta get myself back to that amazing state you live in!! Hehe, the only problem there is that I spent all my vacation time! We left glacier with me limping, but happily talking about what we "have to do next time we come here" so we will be back

Most of the park doesn't have roads.... so there's so much left to see!!!

I'm thinking a weeklong backcountry adventure in.... oh maybe 2010? When I have vacation time again :rolleyes:

/edit for typo

Edited by ThirstyMick

Wow! I sincerely hope you come to some caches up in my neck of the woods (Kalispell) and that I'm lucky enough to find one of these coins! Drop me a note the next time you head up to Glacier, I love to meet fellow cachers. We're hoping to make a run to Helena next summer but we'll have to see how it pans out.

BTW, I checked out your page. I'm really sorry I missed out on the Earth Turtles but will be checking often for new designs and will be making a donation and/or buying one of whatever it is you do for your 2009 fundraiser for the Humane Society.

NONTRACKABLE and CACHE ONLY! That's right, going old school, I don't care how much I may love ya, you gotta come to Montana or hit a cache I hit in my travels in order to get one.

Woot! All of my original avroair v1s went into caches (1st batch), great to see something coming back old style... :D

Montana Tourism should be sending you a thank-you gift for a unique marketing approach that brings new people to the state :D !!

That is awesome Tsun, absolutely YOU~ Well done!!

We tried to get there last year and ended up in ON, QC, NB, PE, NS, UT, NV, OR, WA, CA and CO but not MT. I think we should try the northern approach this time through AB... we are also due a visit there :) .

What about an event in your travels? Are you going to any this coming year where we could trade with you possibly? Is this year year that you want to come to Canada's wonderful west coast to go sailing perhaps? :)

Thanks for all the really nice comments :D I'll be doing some traveling this upcoming year. Headed to GCF in SLC and the event in Champoeg (Oregon) and who knows where else I'll be traveling, maybe even get into Canada. As always, if you get in the Helena area, get in touch with me, we can grab a cache and I always buy dinner for my fellow cachers traveling through :) Anyone headed to Glacier let me know, I'm always looking for a reason to spend time in and around the Park.

You free during the Stampede? :huh:

Yup! My Stampede schedule is:

1) Wake-up

2) Eat free breakfasts from one of the giant outdoor company events

3) Get to work...sometime... leave work ... sometime....

4) Attend networking events, parties, events, parties....

5) Repeat

:)

For those that haven't been to Calgary during the Stampede....it's .... different... :D

I believe you've left out the liquid portion of the Calgary Stampede diet :):D

When we gonna have that GEO*Rodeo?

2010 :D Gonna take me a bit to put all that together :) You will be there right :)

LFD and Landsharkz.... we'll see if I can swing AB and/or BC this year upcoming year. I have checked AB events the past few months just to see what's going on and Banff is in my plans for sure actually I'd really like to get up to Whitehorse, looked at jobs up that way prior to graduating. Now if I can just win the lottery so I can quit work and just travel around dropping coins :D

Really like your coin! Maybe someday I might get to Montana--one of the few states I haven't been to yet. :mad: and now that I know I might have a tour guide for an afternoon........

And she's a very cool tour guide. And has great caches too. :mad:

Ya know, the other night I had a dream that I was visiting you, Tsun, in Montana - which is kinda odd because I've never met you and have no idea what you look like, but I knew it was you and where I was. We were riding horses on your property (Do you have property? Well you did in the dream, anyway...). You were riding an Arab and I was on a Paso Fino. How weird is that??? But I guess it begs the question:

Do you have a Paso Fino? :D:D:D

CF30

Really like your coin! Maybe someday I might get to Montana--one of the few states I haven't been to yet. :mad: and now that I know I might have a tour guide for an afternoon........

And she's a very cool tour guide. And has great caches too. B)

Ya know, the other night I had a dream that I was visiting you, Tsun, in Montana - which is kinda odd because I've never met you and have no idea what you look like, but I knew it was you and where I was. We were riding horses on your property (Do you have property? Well you did in the dream, anyway...). You were riding an Arab and I was on a Paso Fino. How weird is that??? But I guess it begs the question:

Do you have a Paso Fino? :mad::D:D

CF30

Wow, you're dreaming about me? Too funny.

Yes, I have land :mad: No I don't have a Paso Fino not even sure anyone in Montana does for that matter. This is Quarter Horse country out here and I was chastised for having an Arab that is until they saw how well-mannered he was, anyhow..... I think the more appropriate question is; "Can you ride?" :D

I tried to get GPX Nav's to do a 12 mile hike with me but they weren't having any of it. So I made them hike mostly up the sides of small mountains instead :P

Come on out Sarah.... would love to show ya around (anyone for that matter...as I have been known to give away plenty of coins to visitors :D)

Edited by tsunrisebey

Dang! Almost a $1000 for a round trip ticket when I am on vacation later on this month~! If I had that kind of extra money, I could by a lot of cool coins. But I bet the company would be worth it. I love Montana. Only been there once, but the wide open, Old West feel just has to be experienced to appreciate it.

And she's a very cool tour guide. And has great caches too. B)

Do you have a Paso Fino? :mad::D:D

CF30

Wow, you're dreaming about me? Too funny.

Yes, I have land :P No I don't have a Paso Fino not even sure anyone in Montana does for that matter. This is Quarter Horse country out here and I was chastised for having an Arab that is until they saw how well-mannered he was, anyhow..... I think the more appropriate question is; "Can you ride?" :D

I tried to get GPX Nav's to do a 12 mile hike with me but they weren't having any of it. So I made them hike mostly up the sides of small mountains instead :D

Come on out Sarah.... would love to show ya around (anyone for that matter...as I have been known to give away plenty of coins to visitors :D)

Was it 12 miles? The mountain felt like a 1000. We sweat as she lounges below waiting for us. B)

Darn we'll just have to visit you again though this time you are coming with us to Glacier. We have to go back. Jamie wants to go on a hike to the glacial lakes. I see coins in our future. :mad:

WOW, I think this has got to be my all time favorite coin. No joking, I love the shaped coins to begin with and since I met you at Geocoinfest, I have to think that you outlined a picture of yourself, it is so spot on. Now I really have a reason to come visit my 2 oldest grandsons.....course they are in Miles City, but what the heck, MT is a whole lot smaller to cross tha Alaska or Texas. LOL

Please make sure you save a few for my trip, I'll make sure you are on a trip so I won;t have to hike 12 miles....LOL......even though I would for your coin, laughing all the way.....Hope you have a great Christmas......

Time to give this thread a little bump because I think I'm the first person to snag one of these awesome coins! While on a road trip with a friend we swung by Helena after visiting the Groundspeak HQ. It was only a short detour. Okay maybe it was a long ways, but we were going to Montana anyway! All I can say is I hope I never have to drive through mountain passes like that again in my dinky little Prius, especially when the whole northeast is having bad snow storms (bad for them, even), lol. Thankfully I have a lot of experience driving in bad winter weather conditions.

I'll let my log tell the rest of the story for anyone who wants to read it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...83-c76eaf6036a5

Two coins I never thought I'd actually have. :unsure:

78c97f4d-ffda-49af-8502-6b0d968f9d66.jpg

Time to give this thread a little bump because I think I'm the first person to snag one of these awesome coins! While on a road trip with a friend we swung by Helena after visiting the Groundspeak HQ. It was only a short detour. Okay maybe it was a long ways, but we were going to Montana anyway! All I can say is I hope I never have to drive through mountain passes like that again in my dinky little Prius, especially when the whole northeast is having bad snow storms (bad for them, even), lol. Thankfully I have a lot of experience driving in bad winter weather conditions.

Congrat's Steven!

I admit I was a bit worried about your driving up here especially in a Prius but kudos to you for probably having the scare of your life coming up and down the mountain passes, I know I hate doing it and I have 4WD :sad:

This crazy guy detoured about 60 miles from his route to come to Helena to get a coin during a snowstorm. I didn't get a chance to meet him but I did get out and leave him a coin (about an additional 15 miles north of Helena - which he requested I not leave on top of some mountain, lol). My offer still stands, you get out here during the summer months and you can earn that silver version and I'll treat you and your caching partner to some good Montana grub.

I'm glad all went well and thanks for traveling out of your way just to get a coin, some of you are plain ole' crazy :huh:

For those who don't know... the gold coins are for 3/3 cache ratings and lower and the silver are for 3.5/3.5 and higher. I did what tiki did, each coin is numbered (not on the coin itself) but on the insert and comes with a small paper note from me.

tsun :huh:

Edited by tsunrisebey

Congrats on your awesome new coins! And for being brave enough to tackle the MT passes in the winter, I was raised here and still won't attempt some of them during the winter months, even in a 4wd!

Just had to pop in here to say a public thanks to tsun! She visited a couple of my caches today and her log on one of them was very interesting. Mom and I hopped right in the car and headed down to "perform maintenance" on the cache. <_< We pulled up and saw another Jeep parked there and thought for sure someone had beaten us to it but there was no sign of the people and we were thrilled to find a lovely gold tsunrisebey signature coin (#22) still in the cache. It's now safely here in the display case that holds my most prized coins. :D Hubby was already convinced of my insanity but if there were any lingering doubts, this clinched it. According to him, normal people don't spend 3 hours in the car just to find a little chunk of metal... :( Crazy or not, we created another memory, hid another cache, and came home with something truly special. Thanks Steph!

The Spookies are making a road trip out to Washington this summer and taking the northern route to visit a couple places like Mt Rushmore that we've never seen yet. Maybe I could convince Spooky 2 that we should detour up towards Helena. Maybe if I make that one of our overnights... can you get to Tacoma in one day from Helena? Hmm, Mapquest has it right around 600 miles. Piece of cake.

It'll be a roundtrip of 5,000+ miles over about 4 weeks with plans to cache as much as Spooky 2 will let me. Me, my wife, four kids, one minivan, 5,000 miles. Thank goodness for Gameboys and the DVD player!

I've been using my camera's video capabilities over the last couple months to take some video footage of my geocaching adventures. I've been posting the videos to my blog and FB page.

Today I dropped one of my coins in a cache ( I think this is the 6th one I've dropped ) but I took some video footage of some geocoin action, lol. Anyhow if you haven't anything better to do you can watch my pieced together hiking/caching adventure on You Tube and see that there is proof that I'm leaving coins :cool:

Since it's my thread and geocoin related, I figured what the heck. So if anyone is in Helena, there's one out there to be found :laughing:

It's a beautiful thing to see someone throwing a geocoin in a cache! :wub: Even more so when it's one as nice as these. Looks like a memory to last a lifetime though and well worth the damage although I'm still laughing that you're climbing screeslides like that in sandals. That's just crazy! B)

Hence the reason why I always come home banged up, lol. I told myself before I left I should put my hiking boots on but knowing the river was there and I'd be standing in it kept me from doing the smart thing ;) By the time I was done my feet were black and I had been stabbed by more pine needles and small rocks, oh well, you only live once :) I'll probably have to be a bit smarter when I'm older :P