The Original Cache

We are fairly new to caching, and we recently ran into a veteran cacher who told us about the original cache in Portland, OR. I thought he said that it was called "The Original Cache Stash" but when I search for it I have no luck finding it. Can anyone tell me what it is called? :)

It's the ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE. The first cache is gone, but a plaque and cache are placed there.

Near Estacada, south of Milo McIver State Park. Use Redland Road out of Oregon City, drops you real close (one turnoff).

A few good Graveyard caches on the way too... :P

PS, if doing a graveyard cache at night (not supposed to) and you see a guy walking towards you without a flashlight, run like heck. It's most likely a zombie.

Mmmm, brains........................

Well they didn't ask for directions! :laughing:

Nice to have them though. :P Hey, whatever you do, don't ask to see the cache page for the Original Stash. Long story.

Technically that cache page is still there, but all info has been deleted and the coordinates moved to somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. There were quite a few high-profile spats back in the old days where different pioneers of the game had different ideas as to future direction. There are quite a few published historical accounts from different points of view that I don't feel like hunting down right now.

was in Chicago this past week and found GC28! That was great. Some of the older ones are still around.

GC30 is the oldest geocache that is still active, but it's in Kansas. I've been to it twice, once for my own log, and again for my kids.

GC28 hidden on 5/13/2000.

GC30 hidden on 5/11/2000.

But I didn't know about GC28. I'll have to put that on my "Run around the planet getting the coolest caches" list.

We are fairly new to caching, and we recently ran into a veteran cacher who told us about the original cache in Portland, OR. I thought he said that it was called "The Original Cache Stash" but when I search for it I have no luck finding it. Can anyone tell me what it is called? :huh:

It's the ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE. The first cache is gone, but a plaque and cache are placed there.

Awesome! Thanks!

was in Chicago this past week and found GC28! That was great. Some of the older ones are still around.

GC30 is the oldest geocache that is still active, but it's in Kansas. I've been to it twice, once for my own log, and again for my kids.

But I didn't know about GC28. I'll have to put that on my "Run around the planet getting the coolest caches" list.

Check out Oldest Cache List.

hmmmm part of that list is a bit out of date. How long has Mountain Marsh been archieved now?

hmmmm part of that list is a bit out of date. How long has Mountain Marsh been archieved now?

I don't think that list is updated anymore. But it's still a useful reference for what the first 100 caches were.