upgrading

Team-woof

Ok, so something weird happened and my topic is here but no post.

I want to upgrade to paperless caching. I can go about that two ways.

1) Get a new GPS that allows me to "send to gps" (hence that topic).

2) Get a PDA that I can download GC pages to.

I am torn between drooling over the fancy GPSr out there (I have a discontinued model of the Garmin etrex that is as bare bones as it gets) and being financially responsible. (ugh, I hate responsibility).

My gut says get a cheap PDA but since I am not really up on GPS, I don't want to overlook anything that a nicer unit may add that a PDA can't. (or vise versa for that matter)

Help! lol

Your eTrex should allow you to send to GPS, so its really a matter of preference.

I get by quite well with a handheld unit and a PDA running Cachemate, but if Garmin ever came up with a unit that is as good as the 60CSX, with paperless capability like a Colorado or Oregon, I'd buy in in a second.

I personally wouldn't buy the Colorado or Oregon because they miss key features that my 60CSX has.

In your case however, either would be a vast improvement over your eTrex and you can go paperless with them and have the best of both worlds. I'd suggest that route for you.

I have both the Garmin 60CSx and the Colorado 300. I can use the "send to GPS" feature with both.The Colorado took some getting used to, but is actually a fairly decent unit. However, I still use my trusty Palm-Cahemate combo for "paperless caching". The Colorado's field notes are a bit hard to use, but I love the list of cache visits it generates. It's a great backup to the PDA, and the nice thing about using it when group caching is that I can download the list, and email it to the rest of teh group so they can double check their finds & DNF's.

I'd actually suggest the Colorado 300 with a PDA as a backup. Heck, the PALM Trio's are coming down in price, and they are a great PDA/cell phone combo.

What does a phone, a GPS, and the internet have in common? They all come in one device. Down the road, I'm thinking about going with a cellphone that has both GPS and WIFI to surf the web anywhere I go. I.e. the blackberry or something similar.

If you have a newer PDA these have WIFI and can surf the webm, but I'm honestly thinking about going with a Blackberry or something like the Iphone.

What does a phone, a GPS, and the internet have in common? They all come in one device. Down the road, I'm thinking about going with a cellphone that has both GPS and WIFI to surf the web anywhere I go. I.e. the blackberry or something similar.

If you have a newer PDA these have WIFI and can surf the web, but I'm honestly thinking about going with a Blackberry or something like the Iphone.

Edited by The_Brownies

Unless you "step up" your cache runs and log more caches, I don't see any reason for you to go "paperless" or use a PDA. If you will be caching and logging more caches, this is what I recommend:

Check out my "profile Page"...there maybe some info that may be helpful to you...

Garmin Map 60CSX with maps....$200 to $400

Premium Membership....about $30.00 per year

GSAK for PC...about $25.00 for life

Cache mate for PDA....about $8.00 for life

#############################

$20-$50 for palm IIIxe PDA

Some PDA's are cheaper....

Happy hunting and good luck

I use a Garmin Legend Cx that works like a charm and was relatively inexpensive. I did buy a Palm M515 PDA for the cache pages, which worked just fine. Then, using my "new every two" from Verizon, picked up a Palm Centro so now have both a phone and PDA all in one. Have no desire to pay for monthly internet access. I guess I should sell the PDA, but have to decide on that yet.