What pen do you carry for logging - I found a beauty

Super-T

I know this is a pretty stupid topic, but believe it or not, I've had very limited successes with choice of pens for carrying around caching.

The caching bag gets left in the sun on the dashboard and gets seriously cooked, or being a bum-bag it hangs out in the cold while hiking to those winter caches, and I've had brand new pens fail me just when it's really counted - like no pen in the cache itself - or wet log paper, or odd paper used for the log that won't easily take to being written on, and one that seemed to be a bit oily and could only be engraved on with the pen's nib to prove I'd been there.

Searching the various pens at my local newsagent, I came across Uniball Powertank pens. They aren't overly expensive, and most importantly, they are pressurised and so they can write at any angle - including upside down, and they claim they can even write on wet paper - for those caches that have leaked.

I'm assuming that being pressurised they'd work ok in the cold, but not sure how they'll handle a summer dashboard cooking, but so far I think they have just become my new favourite type of pen to keep in my caching bag.

I'm also interested if anyone knows of any really small pens suitable for small containers, I've made a number myself by cutting down a standard biro, but I have seen some awesome little pens in caches before, and would love to know if anyone has a source for such.

Thanks

I've carried a fine-tip Sharpie (brand name) felt-tip permanent marker in my cache bag that's conquered any wet paper that's not too soggy to unroll. Can't vouch for its survivability in hot weather (hey - I live in Southcentral Alaska - a hot day's about 75F in the summer). They make a 'stubby' version of it that's a dandy too. Works great in subzero temps. The basic #2 pencil's not a bad choice either, but doesn't do for wet paper.

Searching the various pens at my local newsagent, I came across Uniball Powertank pens. They aren't overly expensive, and most importantly, they are pressurised and so they can write at any angle - including upside down, and they claim they can even write on wet paper - for those caches that have leaked.

A very worthwhile topic in my opinion. One of the first things that you should grab besides the GPS is a pen and we've all had some sort of heartache related to them. I tend to like pictures when discussing objects. I've used a Uniball in the past and you are right, this is a good solid writing utensil. The writing at any angle and it not being effected when you carry it upside down in your pack are features that come in handy.

As was already mentioned, the one critical area where it might fall short is in adverse wet conditions. I think a fine tipped Sharpie is the answer in these conditions. Probably a good complement to the Uniball which is going to be easier to keep what you are writing legible. There is a trade off as the Sharpie ink tends to seep right through the log.

As for a mini pen. I've use these Sharpie Ultra Fine "Micros" with pretty good success. If it is your cache make sure you are not using really thin paper for the log. Another thing I have seen done that is pretty cool and cheaper is to take a regular standard ink pen, chop it off to the desired length (minimum is about an inch so some ink will be left in it), and then just replace the plug.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Rite in the Rain version of the "Space Pen", but any of the original "Space Pens" will do. Waterproof ink (they will actually write underwater - tested it myself) and the pressurized cartridge means they write in any position and on any kind of paper. Nothing else works nearly as well on the Rite in the Rain paper either.

I use a pencil it seems to work well in 100+ degree heat, the wood stays cool to the touch. In winters I've cached in MN, it worked equaly as well in sub zero degree weather. I can write upside down, side ways and even rightside up. On wet surfaces it isn't great, but I usually carry extra note pad that I will rip a sheet off and add to/replace the log if it is in such bad shape.

I hope that helps ,

Chris

I cache with a fat white and red polycom pen. I have found and signed at least a hundred caches with it and it has never shown any sign of running out of ink. Once i left in the car and started panicking when i realized i didn't have it. I WOULD HAVE TO SIGN THE LOG WITH THE PEN IN THE CACHE!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a dark day in caching for us :) !

Edited by iwikepie

I also have a nice collection of Powertank pens - the thumb-button retractable kind (Powertank RT). I love 'em - they don't freeze, they write underwater, upsidedown, and even backwards! :laughing::laughing:

Seriously - I've taken a sheet of "Rite in the Rain" paper, filled the kitchen sink up with water and using the Uniball pen I could write a note UNDER the water - it didn't smear or skip. I managed to find a whole bunch of Powertank RT pens at a local close-out shop (Ollie's Bargain Outlet) and I bought them all - they were less than $1 each -- usually they're $3 each or more.

I know there are other pens that do the same thing, but they cost a lot more (Space Pens, etc). I've been known to lose pens, accidentally leave them in caches, etc. The Powertank RT pens are cheap enough that it doesn't matter if I come home without one. A Space Pen? I'd probably have to turn around and go back for one of those. :P

I came across this ultra fine point sharpie in a small cache recently but haven't had any luck finding a place to buy them

one.jpg

so I bought a package of these. They don't bleed through the paper and worked well in the cold yesterday. Time will tell.

2.jpg

3.jpg

I second the Sharpie Pen. Very much different from just a Fine Tipped Sharpie Marker. I bought several packs.

Kent

Is Uniball still making the Powertank pens? Can't find any in the local stores. Have checked Walmart, Target, and all the office supply chain stores. Not a single one has the Powertank pens, so I can't even try one to make an opinion.

Officemax still has them online. Google might help you find other places that sell them. I've noticed they're no longer available at some of the larger retailers locally like they used to be, so they could be on their way out. Too bad, as they really are great pens.

...Searching the various pens at my local newsagent, I came across Uniball Powertank pens. They aren't overly expensive, and most importantly, they are pressurised and so they can write at any angle - including upside down, and they claim they can even write on wet paper - for those caches that have leaked. ...

This pen will write on wet paper, if you sop off the excess water. The ink doesn't run. It is in my opinion the best all around pen for caching. Especially in the bang for the buck.

The two other contenders that I know of are Sharpies and Space Pens. I havent' yet tested the power tank in an applicaiton that the Sharpie failes on. Which is writing the milage on an oil change sticker. The sharpies fade to where they can't be read between oil changes.

I've carried a fine-tip Sharpie (brand name) felt-tip permanent marker in my cache bag that's conquered any wet paper that's not too soggy to unroll. Can't vouch for its survivability in hot weather (hey - I live in Southcentral Alaska - a hot day's about 75F in the summer). They make a 'stubby' version of it that's a dandy too. Works great in subzero temps. The basic #2 pencil's not a bad choice either, but doesn't do for wet paper.

EXCELLENT advice!!! Coulda used one of these yesterday when the snow was flying! I'll pick up a few today on the way home from work!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

I have an Inka Write anywhere pen on my keychain, waterproof ink and small enough that it attaches to a keychain but can also be put together to make a full size pen.

untitled.jpg

This is a great topic! Who would've ever thought that reading about pens would be interesting? Wonder if they sell this one on Ebay? It looks great and the fact that you can hang it on your beltloop or whatever is a plus.Makes me think of the time I was carryin a pen in my cargo pants pocket and slipped on my last step coming out of a tree and got stabbed pretty good in the leg! Mark is still there ! :huh: Like that no bleed Sharpie too.Looks like that would be a good one for snow caching! Thanks for all the tips ! :huh:

I carry a fisher space pen in my car in case I lose my Cross Ion. Best dadgum geocaching pen that I've ever used.

Edit - I like how the dadgum got inserted into my message above - I didn't know the software did that! Cross Ion - the best pen by a damsite.

Edited by sduck

[/quote = Team GeoBlast]

Ever hear the old story about the guy walking along the beach and throwing back the starfish that had washed ashore?

I thought it mattered to this one.

Good reply and great story, TGB. The story helps explain the amazing patience of some of those on the forum who have answered the same questions so kindly over the years as cachers and forum posts come and go.

I didn't look at the prior forum topic but checked this one because the last post was from Zeke and George. Hi Zeke and George! We usually bring whatever pen wll clip on our lanyard and a half dozen extra different writing utensils in our swag bag or coat pockets, hoping at least one will work with whatever we find in the cache. These suggestions are much more efficient, particularly those that have attachment mechanisms. Thanks.

Edited by succotash

Edit - I like how the dadgum got inserted into my message above - I didn't know the software did that! Cross Ion - the best pen by a damsite.

So... if I find a cache beside a dam then I should use the Cross Ion to sign the log?

Edit to stay on topic: I use whichever pen or pencil I happen to have in my pocket or cache bag. But I'm asking for an Inka pen as a Christmas stocking-stuffer.

Edited by J-Way

So... if I find a cache beside a dam then I should use the Cross Ion to sign the log?

Edit to stay on topic: I use whichever pen or pencil I happen to have in my pocket or cache bag. But I'm asking for an Inka pen as a Christmas stocking-stuffer.

Inka is by far the best pen I have used! Don't leave home without it and people are always like, what is that? And when I show them it's a pen I get tons of, that is too cool!

Being that I usually cache in the more moist areas, I've finally standardized on the Space Pen (usually the write-in-the-rain rebrand) and I've even found a good source. :santa:

I recently dropped it while caching while visiting my Mother. She picked it up and didn't even recognize it as the same "Bright" yellow pen I'd used on 100+ cahes in the previous week while caching with her. ;)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...g=&numlogs=

-Dwight

I am someone who looses/destroys pens very easily. Lately i have fallen in love with those pocket-golf pencils. You can find them at most golf courses.. just walk into the bar and look around, there are bound to be 7 or 8 just laying around!

* They are pencils, so they dont freeze

* They are pencils, so they dont have to be pressurized

* They are generally free... if you find them in the golf course pub, or play golf occassionally [:D]

* They clip nicely your pants pocket (or golf shirt pocket if you are a schnazy fancy pants gc'r)

Clip-Pencil.jpg

I am someone who looses/destroys pens very easily. Lately i have fallen in love with those pocket-golf pencils. You can find them at most golf courses.. just walk into the bar and look around, there are bound to be 7 or 8 just laying around!

* They are pencils, so they dont freeze

* They are pencils, so they dont have to be pressurized

* They are generally free... if you find them in the golf course pub, or play golf occassionally [:D]

* They clip nicely your pants pocket (or golf shirt pocket if you are a schnazy fancy pants gc'r)

***image removed***

Like mine!! - Feel free to take one with you if you find it in a cache :D

13c58c5e-ac06-4cc3-b9b1-9a8632241a97.jpg