Garmin 24k topo products

beauxp

Any news if they are going to offer more than just a couple state at a time on something other than a memory card, such as a dvd or cd?

Highly unlikely on a DVD. Why? Because of the routable roads by Navteq. To meet Navteq's license requirements they need some form of locking, either the SD card or a unlock code like CN. So don't hold your breath.

Highly unlikely on a DVD. Why? Because of the routable roads by Navteq. To meet Navteq's license requirements they need some form of locking, either the SD card or a unlock code like CN. So don't hold your breath.

That's too bad because one of the nice features of the DVD is being able to plan trips on your PC, then download everything to the unit. Typical Garmin....

The 24k national parks product routes but it is not locked?
That's easily explained. Garmin created all the layers in the NP series, just like Topo 2008. You or I could do the route coding for a NP, but try route coding for even a small city, mind numbing.

Every intersection must be uniquely coded, one-way streets IDed, speed limits, left and right turn lanes, house numbers, etc. Much of the data must be field gathered, not in public databases. Garmin wasn't up to the task and bought the Navteq layers. Who can blame them?

Perhaps you can understand why Nokia was willing to pay $5B for Navteq last year.

The 24k national parks product routes but it is not locked?
That's easily explained. Garmin created all the layers in the NP series, just like Topo 2008. You or I could do the route coding for a NP, but try route coding for even a small city, mind numbing.

Every intersection must be uniquely coded, one-way streets IDed, speed limits, left and right turn lanes, house numbers, etc. Much of the data must be field gathered, not in public databases. Garmin wasn't up to the task and bought the Navteq layers. Who can blame them?

Perhaps you can understand why Nokia was willing to pay $5B for Navteq last year.

Pretty amazing!!

I think I could do that is a weekend, LOL