"free account" doesn't seem to be free

halhal

I'm trying to convince my nephew to try geocaching and I'm composing a message to him about getting a free account on geocaching.com. Well, I try the link labeled "free account" on the "www.geocaching.com/about" and all I get is the "Premium Membership Payment Details" page (https://www.geocaching.com/membership/premium.aspx). Clicking on the "Continue to Next Step" button at the bottom of the page without filling anything out just brings me back to the same page. I can't seem to get beyond it. I think something got munged in the links. I haven't scoured the forums to see if this has been reported before -- so just send on the link to the answer there if it's there. Please fix things so one can easily get a free account -- I won't send my message to my nephew until I've learned the "real method" to get a free account :-).

Thanks,

Hal

halhal: Are you logged in when you click on that link?

-Raine

Yes... oh... so that's it. I have that auto-login feature for my account and I guess if you are logged in as a premium member, you always get that premium member page and not the free account page. I checked things by logging out and trying the link, and I did get to the free account pages.

Thank you.

Hal

I'm trying to convince my nephew to try geocaching and I'm composing a message to him about getting a free account on geocaching.com. Well, I try the link labeled "free account" on the "www.geocaching.com/about" and all I get is the "Premium Membership Payment Details" page (https://www.geocaching.com/membership/premium.aspx). Clicking on the "Continue to Next Step" button at the bottom of the page without filling anything out just brings me back to the same page. I can't seem to get beyond it. I think something got munged in the links. I haven't scoured the forums to see if this has been reported before -- so just send on the link to the answer there if it's there. Please fix things so one can easily get a free account -- I won't send my message to my nephew until I've learned the "real method" to get a free account :-).

Thanks,

Hal

I see you already got your answer. I didn't "scour" the forums either, but was curious how many identical threads a simple search would quickly turn up.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4