Tricky or clever hides

bobcatw98

I have not found that cache yet, but I'm still looking. Now there were a number of caches that I have not found that would sure fit your question. These caches are still there, but I can not see, locate, or uncover these "sneaky and clever" containers. I know that there will be other "sneaky and clever" caches that I can not log a smiley. I will keep looking....Happy hunting and stay safe.

What is the trickest of most clever hide you've found? :laughing:

There is a small museum in a town not to far from where I live that features an old steam locomotive. A micro cache was placed on the train and was ingeniously made to look like part of the train. My wife and I spent close to 1/2 hour to 45 minutes the first time we tried to find it, not knowing exactly what we were looking for. When I posted a DNF, the CO sent me a message with a hint. So we went back another day and my wife found it first. After our first attempt to find the cache I was frustrated that we couldn't find it. :D But after we found it, I admired the CO's cleverness so much that I created a cache that I hope matches his clevereness. :D

The cache was in a home center parking lot. They sell wooden storage sheds and had half a dozen or so on display in the parking lot. The container was inside one of the sheds. Above the window was one small 2"x4" that didn't belong and wasn't nailed down. The back of the 2"x4" had been hollowed out to hold the log. I bet the wife and I spent an hour hunting for that one.

In Missouri, I found a micro (Film Canister) that the lid was adhered to a knot of a tree that was dug out of the tree for a perfect match.

On Maryland's eastern shore, caching near a bridge we found a 2x4 of treated lumber (to match the rest of the bridge guard rails) resting on a lower portion of a guard rail. It just looked out of place. The board was dug out to hold the container (another film canister)

One other time I found a concrete "rock" that had a cache container embedded in it. The concrete for the rock was expertly tinted, painted and textured to match the surrounding real rocks.

I've seen a few clever finds, but one that sticks out in my mind is in Toronto. There is a cute little stone seating area in a parkette with some black wrought iron gates.

The cache is a black tube about 7-8 inches long, with the same thickness as the wrought iron. There is a lid on one end, and a magnet on the other end of the tube. The magnet secures the tube container to the gates. Rather than the tube running along a piece of wrought iron, it sticks out perpendicularly, appearing to be part of the design of the gates - it truly blends in.

In Missouri, I found a micro (Film Canister) that the lid was adhered to a knot of a tree that was dug out of the tree for a perfect match.

On Maryland's eastern shore, caching near a bridge we found a 2x4 of treated lumber (to match the rest of the bridge guard rails) resting on a lower portion of a guard rail. It just looked out of place. The board was dug out to hold the container (another film canister)

One other time I found a concrete "rock" that had a cache container embedded in it. The concrete for the rock was expertly tinted, painted and textured to match the surrounding real rocks.

I've seen a 2x4 attached to a wooden structure (built out of 2x4s). The wooden structure holds a map of the trail system where the cache is located. The 2x4 containing the cache just has the coordinates for the next stage of a multi stage mult.

There is another cache, now archived, that consisted of what looks like a bolt with a washer and nut on it. The washer has earth magnets on it to hold it to a large metal bridge. The cache was painted the exact same color as the bridge.

I have a cache that is a *real* rock (not a hunk of concrete). I drilled a hole in the bottom with a 3/4" masonry bit and put a bison tube in it.

As for the locomotive engine hide mentioned above. There's one in my area that's a nano cache on an old steam engine. It's hidden such that there is no possible way to actually see the cache. It must be found by feeling for it. It took me 4 attempts and over 3 hours total searching for it before I finally found it.

I've seen a 2x4 attached to a wooden structure (built out of 2x4s). The wooden structure holds a map of the trail system where the cache is located. The 2x4 containing the cache just has the coordinates for the next stage of a multi stage mult.

There is another cache, now archived, that consisted of what looks like a bolt with a washer and nut on it. The washer has earth magnets on it to hold it to a large metal bridge. The cache was painted the exact same color as the bridge.

I have a cache that is a *real* rock (not a hunk of concrete). I drilled a hole in the bottom with a 3/4" masonry bit and put a bison tube in it.

As for the locomotive engine hide mentioned above. There's one in my area that's a nano cache on an old steam engine. It's hidden such that there is no possible way to actually see the cache. It must be found by feeling for it. It took me 4 attempts and over 3 hours total searching for it before I finally found it.

Today I found a cool one. The cache itself was a plastic spice jar. A string was tied to the top and the other end hooked into a ring at the bottom of a fence cap. You lifted up the cap in order to get to the cache. It was pretty simple but it made my day.

I've got one like that. It's not a spice jar and I used wire (epoxied into the cap) instead of string. It's about 195' from where I am sitting.

My favorite is a guardrail nano with a hint saying that it's magnetic. Of course I'm thinking that I'm looking for an easy one, attached to the metal in some way...not many options for a hide. After 15 minutes of looking I was totally out of ideas. I had ruled out any way it could be attached to the metal rail. I finally found a blinky drilled into part of the wooden supports. You have to pivot the wooden section to the side. Inside the drilled hole was a small metal disk used to keep the magnetic blinky in place.

This is more of a hide than a find..... So I can't give too many details but, it involves a realistic fish mount/decoy a wieght and a water tight container. I'm currently researching the best non-toxic materials. If any non-locals would like to share ideas or ask questions drop me a line. I have many other "evil genius" ideas. Most have to wait till spring :huh:

Notags, where in Missouri did you find the knot cache. I have a cache like you describe.

Edited by lacomo

With only 195 finds I am still relatively new, but the one that gave me the most trouble was my first "magnetic letters on a transformer hide".

I have also been fond of a 35mm can under a birdfeeder and fake birdhouse multi, and a fake pvc pipe into the ground hide, where you had to unscrew the cap.

It is funny, I now look at the whole world differently, as every little thing that looks out of place, I wonder if it could be a cache container :huh:

I think my favorite one that still kills me for simplicity and the "d'oh!" moment was the little power junction box that was supplying electricity to the solid wood sign at a scenic lookout. I can't believe I looked twice before bringing back Fox to help. He walked up, looked for about 3 seconds and said "You're kidding, right"? Oy, the humilitation! :huh:

There are a few that stick out in my mind...

1) A small hidden inside a home made road side reflector. Maker used the same metal as others in the area, and the same triangular reflector device. Added a hinge and hid the cache inside. Added it to a set of reflectors near a rest stop, spaced the same as other reflectors in the area. Only found it because the hinge had opened a bit revealing the yellow container inside.

2) A rock in a HUGE rock pile. An actual rock that had split open along a fault line, about the size of my open palm and less then 2 inches thick. Owner had hollowed out the inside just enough to fit in a logbook, and carved out and glued in a hinge so that the rock would open to reveal the logbook. Fortunately it was different from the rest of the rocks in the roadside build up, but tons of places to hide a small cache... I think this was the most evil one I've ever found.

3) Large metal sign in a rest stop. Cache was a 8 inch aluminum tube painted the same black as the sign legs and inserted through an empty hole in the legs near the ground to look like a large bolt.

4) large carriage bolt in a wooden sign post.... sort of. Wooden info sign some 8 ft wide, cache was a fake bolt in line with the cross beams of the sign. Had a copper tube soldered onto the sawed off head of the carriage bolt with the log inside. To add to the camo, there was another actual carriage bolt at the top cross beam. Finally figured it out when I checked the opposite end of the sign and there were no bolts "holding" onto the cross beams at that end of it. I hunted for an hour before finally cluing in to this one.

I've always liked caches in fake boltts. And, every time I find one, I am pleasantly surprised.

I also enjoy Trojan junction boxes and junction box covers, especially if they look like they belong. The same goes for pipes and drains that look like they belong, but are just there.

One of my all time favorites was a 35 mm film can to which a magnet was glued, that was dropped down a fence post. To grab it one had to lower a piece of iron on a string.

I am also fond of a hide in which a bison tube was attached to the end of a rusty carriage bolt that was inserted into a hole in a manhole cover.

And, who could forget caches attached to the rebar that is inserted into concrete curbs in parking lots?

OTOH: P4030213.jpg

Well, I was in this Wal-Mart parking lot ... and there was this lamp post ...

OK, Seriously now ...

After a long walk, and a river crossing on fallen trees, you ended up in a very overgrown area. If you were lucky, you would find a fishing rod with the line running down to the cache in the bottom of the river!

Another memorable cache was a hornets nest way up in a tree.

I have not found that cache yet, but I'm still looking. Now there were a number of caches that I have not found that would sure fit your question. These caches are still there, but I can not see, locate, or uncover these "sneaky and clever" containers. I know that there will be other "sneaky and clever" caches that I can not log a smiley. I will keep looking....Happy hunting and stay safe. There was one (1) that was clever. A cache container disguised as an "in ground water meter" and then it was covered with leaves and such...my GPSr had me at GHz and there was nothing around this area. I was puzzled and started use my "geo scratcher tool to move the leaves around and then saw the "meter".... I "Thought that I didn't want to fool with County water equipment' and almost left, but what would something like that be doing here along side the road. Well, I pull it up and was able to unscrew the base ant there was the Geo logbook.....This cacher Owner did put out one more that was exciting, by that I mean....The cache container was an abounded white SUV Jeep hidden in the woods with a large bolder on top of the vehicle. When I got to within 60 feet, it appeared that there was a dead deer on top of the white vehicle. I stopped and looked around for hunters, and I did not see any, but my knees were shaking too much to go forward, so I turned slowly and slowly I left the area....I returned the next day and the scene was the same....So this time I walked up to the white jeep and the ammo box was in the back of the abandoned jeep....Signed the log and got out of that area. But It was exciting. I'm not sure the cache owner meant for the Jeep with the boulders to look like a deer on top, but at 60 feet it sure fooled me. Stay safe and Happy Holidays.... /quote]

With only 195 finds I am still relatively new, but the one that gave me the most trouble was my first "magnetic letters on a transformer hide".

I have also been fond of a 35mm can under a birdfeeder and fake birdhouse multi, and a fake pvc pipe into the ground hide, where you had to unscrew the cap.

It is funny, I now look at the whole world differently, as every little thing that looks out of place, I wonder if it could be a cache container :rolleyes:

Hey that is funny, I just found a cache with magnetic letters on a transformer today in washington state, it took us two tries to make the find... it was cache #167 for us , word does get around doesn't it

What is the trickest of most clever hide you've found? :rolleyes:

There is a small museum in a town not to far from where I live that features an old steam locomotive. A micro cache was placed on the train and was ingeniously made to look like part of the train. My wife and I spent close to 1/2 hour to 45 minutes the first time we tried to find it, not knowing exactly what we were looking for. When I posted a DNF, the CO sent me a message with a hint. So we went back another day and my wife found it first. After our first attempt to find the cache I was frustrated that we couldn't find it. :rolleyes: But after we found it, I admired the CO's cleverness so much that I created a cache that I hope matches his clevereness. :lol:

Lots of these hateful things around here. If there's a VFW or American Legion with a tank or cannon in front, chances are good that there's a Mr. Magneto stuck someplace on it. Some are easy finds and others take hours to locate.

Most I find are not clever - wish they were more so. I found one in a narrow crack in the rock over and above eye level. The skinny ammo can fit perfectly into the crack but you had to climb up a little and look down. Not sure what made me look there. Found one that looked like a barrel made of tree bark.

What is the trickest of most clever hide you've found?

I can tell this, because the cache has now been archived.

I spent the better part of half an hour looking for a cache container in the back of a building, to no avail. I finally leaned over, and put my hand on a PVC 90 degree drain pipe at the bottom of a central air evaporator housing. It turned out to be a dummy pipe, attached magnetically, and the thing unscrewed and the log was inside.

I still shake my head over that one.

There are several other cool hides I've seen, but they are still active, so I would be hesitant to describe them.

One of the cleverst hides (now archived) I have seen involved an outdoor plug on the back of a building in a parking lot. When I arrived I knew exactly were the cache was, bolted to the wall of the building and locked with a padlock. The coordinates led me to corner of the parking lot near the building but there was nothing there except a functioning air conditioner which was plugged in to the outdoor plug in. This was one of this plugins that has the little door flaps and the whole thing was clearly wired to building power and the air conditioner was working. When you opened the bottom door flap there was no plug. The cache hider (owner of the building) had taken the plug out of the fixture and cut it in half so the bottom plug was empty behind the little door flap. An empty film canister had been stuffed in behnd the door and the key was sitting right there when you opened the little plug door flap.

Because it was a working electrical plug on the top half and the fact that it had a device plugged in that was working really made that little door on the bottom of the plug innocuous. It took several visits but no owner hints before I found it.

There were only 17 Finds on that cache before it was Archived (the owner sold the building and moved) but every cacher who visited that cache used the word tricky, clever or made a statement about that hide in their log.