DeLorme PN-40 at Amazon.com for $290 now

Hrethgir

Just went and checked Amazon about the PN-40, felt like teasing myself, and they have it listed for $290 with free shipping now instead of the $340 it was last time I checked it. Well, I had to order it, of course! Bummer thing is that it's my Christmas present, so I can't use it until after Christmas. Anyways, thought this price was too good to pass up, and thought I would let you guys in on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Delorme-AE-7985-201-...5042&sr=8-1

That rebate isn't good at Amazon.

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=89286#89286

GO$Rs

That is NOT RIGHT! Read the rebate form - where does it say what is being added via the forums. Do they not have a proof reader at that company? Or get a new rebate printed up - like today! oh I just had to be American and gripe on Thanksgiving Day - that is what we American's do nowadays right? :laughing:

GO$Rs

That is NOT RIGHT! Read the rebate form - where does it say what is being added via the forums. Do they not have a proof reader at that company? Or get a new rebate printed up - like today! oh I just had to be American and gripe on Thanksgiving Day - that is what we American's do nowadays right? :laughing:

...and to your gripe I say...

People will always look to take more when given an inch. The gripe about not getting a rebate with the discounted pricing is no exception. To those folks I say... Bleh. You rolls your dice, you takes your chances.

Fwiw, I'm content with the price I paid. I'm very happy with the early receipt of the GPS. I've already tested certain features, functionality and readability and I am not disappointed. The annual subscription is ordered (before I realized I could have done it through the software) and I'm looking forward to using it on the trails once I heal.

My thanks to all the developers, engineers, beta testers and finally the marketing department for putting out enough information while keeping the hype realistic for a sound decision.

GO$Rs

That is NOT RIGHT! Read the rebate form - where does it say what is being added via the forums. Do they not have a proof reader at that company? Or get a new rebate printed up - like today! oh I just had to be American and gripe on Thanksgiving Day - that is what we American's do nowadays right? :D

...and to your gripe I say...

People will always look to take more when given an inch. The gripe about not getting a rebate with the discounted pricing is no exception. To those folks I say... Bleh. You rolls your dice, you takes your chances.

Fwiw, I'm content with the price I paid. I'm very happy with the early receipt of the GPS. I've already tested certain features, functionality and readability and I am not disappointed. The annual subscription is ordered (before I realized I could have done it through the software) and I'm looking forward to using it on the trails once I heal.

My thanks to all the developers, engineers, beta testers and finally the marketing department for putting out enough information while keeping the hype realistic for a sound decision.

haha - got ya..... see the :D ? It was sarcasm like my last three posts on the PN40!

Truth be told, it looks like the PN40 is a great unit. I wish I had waited a month before getting my 60CSx. But I am happy with what I have as it has been a workhorse for so many for a long time and having an old PDA allows my son to hold that and read out the hints and such as I hold the 60CSx while on the hunt and I hike in deep woods.

Good luck with the PN40, some day I will get a new unit and I hope it is as tried and true as the 60SCx and looks like the PN40 may become. Just like computer hardware I now always stay a couple steps back and use the tried and true. My pioneering days for hardware are well over (once paid $45each for 4 256K 30 pin SIMM chips, yes that is 180 us dollars for 1 meg of RAM - ouch - BUT it was cutting edge at the time! :laughing: ).

Sorry for throwing out cheap words in prodding ya all!

Happy THANKSGIVING!

From www.jr.com (where I'm getting that price thru Amazon):

DeLorme Mapping PN-40 Earthmate Handheld GPS

Price Reflects $50 Instant Rebate thru 12/01/08

So it looks like that $50 is an instant rebate thru them instead of a mail-in. And I would much rather have it this way, I don't have to wait and hope that the check actually comes (I seem to run about 50/50 on getting/not getting rebates thru the mail, I hate them). I figured it was something like this when I ordered it, I wasn't planning on getting it for $240 total, but if I CAN get that rebate, you better believe I'll take it! But I was going to pay $400 for the PN-40 (I've used a PN-20, and I know what it could do, and the -40 can do even more), so getting it under $300 is awesome. Now I just need a big SDHC card, biggest I have is only 4GB!

Edit: OK, looks like the mail-in isn't valid if you buy from J&R, which I'm totally OK with. Here's a list of sellers that it is valid for:

http://www.delorme.com/pnrebate/

Edited by HondaH8er

Sorry for throwing out cheap words in prodding ya all!

Happy THANKSGIVING!

Hey it's all good and I did catch the smiley with the jab about complaining on T-Day!

But you gotta admit you provided the perfect platform for a response. :D

Happy Thanksgiving back at ya!

I admit as much! :laughing:

Man, my tummy hurts... Five different "samples" of pie later.....

I can confirm the loading of DeLome's 'pre-cut maps' on the PN-40, via Mac, NAKED

right out in the open, NO windows flashing.

Norm

Cool. How are you loading cache info on it? I've been using GPSBabel to load into my Garmin.

Can you just drag & drop a .GPX file on it? If that's the case I think I need one. :)

Jeff

If I may respond, I currently (for roughly the next 30 days) download the GPX to my PC. With the bundled, in the box, DeLorme mapping application, Topo USA 7.0, I import, open the GPX whereby it becomes part of the Topo 7 database. Then, with my PN-20, or -40 connected to a PC USB port, I transfer the Geocache waypoint to the handheld. I don't use a PDA nor any other, third party software.

DeLorme is working on a new widget, Cache Register, that will facilitate the download directly to the PN-20, as I understand it. Their goal is to have this available to PN users by Christmas.

I can confirm the loading of DeLome's 'pre-cut maps' on the PN-40, via Mac, NAKED

Norm

Cool. How are you loading cache info on it? I've been using GPSBabel to load into my Garmin.

Can you just drag & drop a .GPX file on it? If that's the case I think I need one. :)

Jeff

If I may respond, I currently (for roughly the next 30 days) download the GPX to my PC. With the bundled, in the box, DeLorme mapping application, Topo USA 7.0, I import, open the GPX whereby it becomes part of the Topo 7 database. Then, with my PN-20, or -40 connected to a PC USB port, I transfer the Geocache waypoint to the handheld. I don't use a PDA nor any other, third party software.

DeLorme is working on a new widget, Cache Register, that will facilitate the download directly to the PN-20, as I understand it. Their goal is to have this available to PN users by Christmas.

Thanks for the reply. My main concern is the "via Mac" portion of his post.

It appears that Delorme is serious about working on Mac compatibility. I just need to know if I can use it now. I looks like a great gps.

Jeff

From www.jr.com (where I'm getting that price thru Amazon):

DeLorme Mapping PN-40 Earthmate Handheld GPS

Price Reflects $50 Instant Rebate thru 12/01/08

So it looks like that $50 is an instant rebate thru them instead of a mail-in. And I would much rather have it this way, I don't have to wait and hope that the check actually comes (I seem to run about 50/50 on getting/not getting rebates thru the mail, I hate them). I figured it was something like this when I ordered it, I wasn't planning on getting it for $240 total, but if I CAN get that rebate, you better believe I'll take it! But I was going to pay $400 for the PN-40 (I've used a PN-20, and I know what it could do, and the -40 can do even more), so getting it under $300 is awesome. Now I just need a big SDHC card, biggest I have is only 4GB!

Edit: OK, looks like the mail-in isn't valid if you buy from J&R, which I'm totally OK with. Here's a list of sellers that it is valid for:

http://www.delorme.com/pnrebate/

But if you get the Amazon VISA card then you can get the $50 buxs off

Edited by Haffy

I just cancelled my order for the PN-40 that I had through Tiger GPS and re-ordered it through Amazon.com. I would rather give Tiger the business, but the price match they have would have put the order off about a week and a half. They were very understanding about the cancellation as I am saving $60 by going through JR electronics.

Norm

Can you just drag & drop a .GPX file on it? If that's the case I think I need one. :P

Jeff

I've not dealt with geocache loading (yet), just the basic 'pre-cut' maps, I'm interested to see how far

I'll get (and in what time frame) before I load Topo7 via Parallels. Time will tell, I'll post how it goes,

when it goes. Right now I'm just learning the hand-held interface and getting comfy. More to come

as things fall into place.

The pre-cuts were simple, I created two folders on the SDHC card, maps, & screenshots (this one's

optional), then just drug all of the maps (card size permitting) out of the map folder on the West Region

DVD in to the map folder I created. I excluded AK & HI, moved the remaining states (about 5gigs)

via a card reader in just shy of 25 min. VOILA'! This was to a 100X SDHC card, 8gig. $25.00 from

Best Buy brick & mortar this afternoon. I didn't notice much difference in screenshot write time as

had been mentioned elsewhere, but then again wasn't looking for that either.

Comparing this unit to my previous squeeze (eXplorist XL), there isn't much, I'm very happy w/this

decision. So far what I miss MOST is the file structure, I thought it might be screen size, but I was

WRONG.

Norm

Amazon just changed the price to $350.00

Yeah they did, but the $290 price was on Amazon thru J&R, and for some reason they aren't selling it thru Amazon anymore, but www.jr.com still has it for $290:

http://www.jr.com/delorme-mapping/pe/DLB_GPSPN40/

OUT OF STOCK that is why it's off Amazon. Get on their emailing list when available again.

Spent most of the morning researching which new unit to purchase. Have had a Garmin eTrex Legend for a long, long time and picked up a Magellan eXplorist 500 last year when WalMart were closing them out. Got a reat price! Since I teach "Map Interpretation and GPS" at the local community college, figured it was time to get a "real" mapping GPS unit. Whittled my choices down to a Garmin 60CSX, 76CSx, or a eTrex Vista HCx.

After reading reviews on other forums/vendor sites, made my last top at these forums and read a bunch of threads comparing my various choices. My decision was made! The 60CSx it would be. Then...read a random thread about "Which GPS should I buy?" and lots of people raved about the DeLorme units. Since I've worked with earth satellite imagery for the past 27 years in my employment, I have a soft spot for that and like the idea of using imagery on a GPS unit.

Amazon has a current price on the PN-40 of $275.49. No stock until December 12th, only a couple days away. Free shipping too. (Went ahead and ordered one.)

One word of warning...I got to this specific web page from the link posted earlier in this thread. If you go to Amazon and enter PN-40 in the search window, the link that comes up shows a price of $339.99 through J&R Music.

Amazon has a current price on the PN-40 of $275.49. No stock until December 12th, only a couple days away. Free shipping too. (Went ahead and ordered one.)

One word of warning...I got to this specific web page from the link posted earlier in this thread. If you go to Amazon and enter PN-40 in the search window, the link that comes up shows a price of $339.99 through J&R Music.

I think that the pricing is being done by those who also price gasoline. ;)

Hi,

I ordered it from Amazon for 289.00 with free shipping on Sunday (the 7th). Amazon had is for 275.00 yesterday but it's up to 339.00 today. I haven't received it but they estimate the date as 16 Dec - so we'll see:)

I can't wait to get it. I originally got the workhourse, Garmin 60 csx a bundle, but returned it since if you're a MAC user it doesn't come with any base maps - that said I could have transferred the topo (which wasn't that useful at 1:100,000) to mac format, I guess, and ordered more maps. But as a frequent traveller (west coast, east coast, and overseas) I would have to then buy 200-300 dollars of maps - so I'm trying the DeLorme - I'm going to try to run bootcamp. I like the idea of the topo/NOAA maps on demand. So much easier - plus the satellite aerial imagery really makes me excited.

I did mapping and charting back in 1990 (hydrography) so I've always loved maps. Can wait to try. Pam (Ventura)