Newbie Nuvi question

I would like to have a car GPS that will do a couple of different things for me. I would like it to have a view looking straight down at the map showing my currewnt location instead of a drivers view of where I am headed. Id also like to be able to load cache locations (just the location) into the unit so my birds eye view would show where I am on the map relative to where caches are located.

I can already do this using a laptop and Delorme Street Atlas. But having a laptop open and in the co-pilots lap is a bit too much. Will any of the Nuvi units do this?

I would like to have a car GPS that will do a couple of different things for me. I would like it to have a view looking straight down at the map showing my currewnt location instead of a drivers view of where I am headed. Id also like to be able to load cache locations (just the location) into the unit so my birds eye view would show where I am on the map relative to where caches are located.

I can already do this using a laptop and Delorme Street Atlas. But having a laptop open and in the co-pilots lap is a bit too much. Will any of the Nuvi units do this?

Like Mtnhermit said...Except I like to have my Nuvi set to "track up" instead of "north up". Also, if you have the caches set up for proximity alerts (and you're zoomed in close enough) the caches appear on screen as they break the boundary you set up for your POI alerts. Mine is set up to alert at 3000'.

The two responses have addressed your question.

I will play a bit of devil's advocate and say caching and dash units are not ideally suited. Most dash units do not have a compass screen to point to the cache and tell you exactly how far away you are. You will be navigating by the map screen, most of which zoom down to about 120 feet. A satellite page would help get you closer to GZ, but not all dash units have that too. Then there is the hiking issue. Most dash units have a 2-4 hour battery life and are not water resistant. Plus they're bulky and relatively fragile. I've always said an auto-routing handheld unit (ie. Etrex HCx units, 60CSx, etc...) make a better dash unit than the other way around. The biggest drawbacks to using handheld units as dash units is the handhelds don't talk and the screens are smaller. Still, having used both dash units (Street Pilots 2610 and 2720, and Nuvi 750 and 660) and handhelds (Vista HCx, Venture Cx, and 60CS), I would definitely choose a mapping handheld over a dash unit if I could only choose one.

I suppose I should have mentioned at the outset, that I have 2 60CSx handhelds. One for me and one for the better half. So, I dont need the dash unit for the actual assault on caches.

The reason I was inquiring about the dash unit, was so that I could glance at it from time to time to see if there were any caches near by. In stead of having to look at the smaller screen of my 60CSx.

Or to see where I might be relative to caches near by. So, it seems from what some of you have said, that in map setup, I can get an aerial view on the dash unit.

So, now the only question that I have is whether or not caches or queries sent through GSAK or another program, can they be loaded onto the Nuvi's and have the cache icons appear on the screen?

I would like to have a car GPS that will do a couple of different things for me.

I would like it to have a view looking straight down at the map showing my currewnt location

Touch the wrench, then map, then map view, Choose Track Up, North Up, or 3d View)

Id also like to be able to load cache locations (just the location) into the unit so my birds eye view

You need GSAK and the Download from the big Nuvi thread.

Hi and Happy Thanksgiving, I believe that you may want to look at two options. The Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550 series for a direct load. >>> Also if you have GSAK there is a wonderful add on Macro that loads caches into the Garmin Nuvi series, >>> you can find info in these forums. ( :: paperless caching :: currently the thread is some 13 pages long; numerous members may be willing to provide information ) REI has the garmin Nuvi 500 series on sale for the next few days and it is deeply discounted. Certain features of the Nuvi 760 make that unit rather attractive. >>> Yes I use a hand held while on short final. Hope I haven't muddied the water.

No, I don't work for either Garmin or REI

Or to see where I might be relative to caches near by. So, it seems from what some of you have said, that in map setup, I can get an aerial view on the dash unit.

So, now the only question that I have is whether or not caches or queries sent through GSAK or another program, can they be loaded onto the Nuvi's and have the cache icons appear on the screen?

Yes, the geocaching icons will show on the Nuvi's. You don't need GSAK for that. MapSource, EasyGPS and other software will forward the icons. I have a Nuvi 750 and have used a 660 and the Street Pilots; all show the icons and can be set up to view in aerial format, which is my preference. The Nuvi's also accept POIs and with GSAK 7.0+, you can transform the higher Nuvi line into a PDA.

Yes, the geocaching icons will show on the Nuvi's. You don't need GSAK for that. MapSource, EasyGPS and other software will forward the icons. I have a Nuvi 750 and have used a 660 and the Street Pilots; all show the icons and can be set up to view in aerial format, which is my preference. The Nuvi's also accept POIs and with GSAK 7.0+, you can transform the higher Nuvi line into a PDA.

Hey Chuy!

If I understand your post, one can load a POI or multiple to a NUVI using easyGPS. Is it possible once loaded to call up a specific POI (cache) and then use the NUVI to get to the cache or close enough to pull out my 60CSx? I would rather buy a new GPS for the car than just upgrade the mapping software.

Thanks, fryguy42

Yes fryguy42, you can search for a specific POI by title, whether you use a name or GC# for the title. GSAK really shines here as it imports "child" waypoints, the additional waypoints cachers put on their webpages to identify trailhead, parking, and other reference coordinates. With GSAK, you can also configure the POI title with all sorts of parameters, such as deleting the "GC"; adding difficulty and terrain codes, and some 50 other parameters. In the hint field, you can add the hint and/or cache name; and the same other 50 parameters you can add to the title.

You can also customize the icon of the POI. Essentially, you create a .bmp file matching the .gpx/.csv file by name and the .bmp pic will display on your GPS with the respective POIs. You can use MS Paint or fancicer software. The ideal pixel size is around 15X15.