Blackberry Storm & Geocaching

Rross1973

I went to upgrade to a Blackberry Storm this morning because it claimed to have full access to the internet. I wanted to use it in the field to look up caches and post my fiinds in real time. I know they released an application for the iphone but I dont want to switch carriers. My biggest gripe is when you pull up a cache description page it blacks out the 1st half of the page. You cannot get any info on it. I called verizon's tech dept. and they said that Groundspeak has an agreement with Apple and that I would not have access to the information I'm looking for. As soon as I relaized I could not do anything on the web site from this phone I returned it. The sales person was shocked because he said I was the only one to return the phone because they sold out of them so quick. I told him that since I cannot use it for geocacing I wasn't interested in it. Let me know if anyone else has this problem and if so how I would be able to work around it.

I went to upgrade to a Blackberry Storm this morning because it claimed to have full access to the internet. I wanted to use it in the field to look up caches and post my fiinds in real time. I know they released an application for the iphone but I dont want to switch carriers. My biggest gripe is when you pull up a cache description page it blacks out the 1st half of the page. You cannot get any info on it. I called verizon's tech dept. and they said that Groundspeak has an agreement with Apple and that I would not have access to the information I'm looking for. As soon as I relaized I could not do anything on the web site from this phone I returned it. The sales person was shocked because he said I was the only one to return the phone because they sold out of them so quick. I told him that since I cannot use it for geocacing I wasn't interested in it. Let me know if anyone else has this problem and if so how I would be able to work around it.

At this point, unless someone provides a hack for it, you are out of luck. I have verizon and have a Samsung SCH-I760 smart phone. Has full internet browser, plus Word mobile, Powerpoint Viewer, Excel Mobile etc... I can go right to Geocaching.com and pull up any cache page just like I was online at my desk.

I called verizon's tech dept. and they said that Groundspeak has an agreement with Apple and that I would not have access to the information I'm looking for.

This response was so wrong I don't even know where to start.

The iPhone Geocaching application is an application built to run on the iPhone, yes, but any web browser should be able to view any cache listing on the geocaching.com web site. It sounds to me like a bug in their web browser - not based on some weird backroom agreement between Apple and Groundspeak.

You can always use the WAP site at http://wap.geocaching.com to view and log geocaches. Perhaps this basic design will work on a Verizon phone.

Not to bash one service against one other. I've been using my sprint Blackberry Curve for caching with great resaults. IE, I got the notification about this new topic, clicked on the link, it opened in the web browser, and I replyed to it. The Geocache Navigator works with the built in gps. www.geocaching.com works without any issues also in the browser.

Your right. You can pull up any page from the geocaching.com website. The only thing problem is a big black box cover the location of the cache and general info you need to locate it. The only part of the cache page you could view is the cache description and the logs. As a matter of faxt when I was trying to search for caches within my zip code within a 5 mile radius I was not able to click the "OK" button to search for them. This happened to the one I just returned and also the two other they had on dispaly at the store. The tech area said that the storm is a full web browser but you may no be able to get all the data you want. That is why they said Groundspeak may have an agreement with apple to only launch their application on their phones.

Your right. You can pull up any page from the geocaching.com website. The only thing problem is a big black box cover the location of the cache and general info you need to locate it. The only part of the cache page you could view is the cache description and the logs. As a matter of faxt when I was trying to search for caches within my zip code within a 5 mile radius I was not able to click the "OK" button to search for them. This happened to the one I just returned and also the two other they had on dispaly at the store. The tech area said that the storm is a full web browser but you may no be able to get all the data you want. That is why they said Groundspeak may have an agreement with apple to only launch their application on their phones.

I use an enV from Verizon and have found the best page display is when I go to the site via the coord.info method. Once I am logged in I see the entire page and can then also use the search functions.

I have the BlackJack II with AT&T with full internet access on it and I use it for caching all the time. I can pull up the geocaching.com website in the IE browser without any problems. I usually use the WAP site though becuase it seems to work quite a bit faster (no graphics). I have also installed CacheMate and unlocked the built in GPS and it works perfectly within CacheMate to guide me right to GZ. I am also starting to use the coord.info for loggin my caches and trackables.

This is a problem with the browser; most likely a problem handling the javascript or java.

I have been able to see the entire Geocaching page including loging finds on my current phone (EnV II) and my last 2 phones using the mobile web service through Verizon.

Not having a blackberry, I am not sure what application you are trying to use. I have never tried a specific application (as in downloading a separate program), I just use the web as it comes & all has worked fine for me.

I believe that model uses IE. Try just going through the web & not through a separate program.

-edited for spelling-

Edited by DiamondDaveG

Palm Centro - Verizon works fine. Does not load fast (dial-up speed) but everything is there, banner pictures as well. I use the WAP site when I'm playing on the phone much easier to do what I want to do. Don't need no stinking Iphone :D

Palm Centro with Sprint - also works fine. I turned on the option to ignore the site's CSS, and let the browser reformat the display, and it works great.

I have an AT&T Tilt that I use all the time to access caches on site. Usually when I arrive at the site & can't find it - then I pull up the website to find out what the heck I should be looking for. I have found that you have a 50/50 shot of finding a sales clerk that is knowledgeable enough to actually help you. I know I went to a large computer chain to purchase a computer once & the sales guy told me I needed a scanner if I was ever going to play any games on the computer. :D:D:D

I log into the site on the blackberry and then when I try to pull up a chace page it still shows a black screen on 1/2 of the page. I'm not sure what software the device uses. I just came back from them and they had their tech guy look at it and he said that the black area is restricted by the site not verizion.

The trouble with everyone else's replies is that they're not using Blackberry Storm. Apple wouldn't CARE if people on old generation phones are using geocaching.com because they're not in direct competition with those devices. Blackberry Storm is competition in the same league as the iPhone, ie. touch screen, high-tech and purrrrrrrty.

That being said - I don't know why Apple would invest resources in blocking the website out if this happens to be the case.

Which I don't think it is - so everyone else's suggestions are still valid!

The trouble with everyone else's replies is that they're not using Blackberry Storm. Apple wouldn't CARE if people on old generation phones are using geocaching.com because they're not in direct competition with those devices. Blackberry Storm is competition in the same league as the iPhone, ie. touch screen, high-tech and purrrrrrrty.

That being said - I don't know why Apple would invest resources in blocking the website out if this happens to be the case.

I am no techie but I don't think Apple could/would be blocking a website from being accessed by a particular Verizon phone.

I log into the site on the blackberry and then when I try to pull up a chace page it still shows a black screen on 1/2 of the page. I'm not sure what software the device uses. I just came back from them and they had their tech guy look at it and he said that the black area is restricted by the site not verizion.

Contrary to what the tech that most likely just transferred over from geek squad said, I have full access on my Curve and my business partner on his Storm, both with the provided software on our Verizon phones.

You might try a different browser made for the Blackberry like Opera rather than beat your head against a wall trying to fix this. If it works with that, you can show it to your local Verizon and ask why.

****UPDATE***

My friend gxn11 just got his Blackberry Storm and it does the same thing. He gets 1/2 of the cache page up and thats it. The top half is all blocked out. He said he is going to return his on Friday. What a waste. I thought I would have a "complete" browser on a phone but am disapointed I cannot access the whole site. What a shame.

Please stop suggesting Apple's involvement in the context of the Blackberry Storm. There is no relationship whatsoever between the Blackberry Storm, Geocaching.com and Apple. As the president of Groundspeak I can assure you of that. We don't even have a relationship with Apple except that we submitted an application to iTunes. As much as I'd like it to be true, I don't have Steve Jobs on speed dial.

(edit: unintentionally too harsh)

Edited by Jeremy

Please stop suggesting Apple's involvement in the context of the Blackberry Storm. There is no relationship whatsoever between the Blackberry Storm, Geocaching.com and Apple. As the president of Groundspeak I can assure you of that. We don't even have a relationship with Apple except that we submitted an application to iTunes. As much as I'd like it to be true, I don't have Steve Jobs on speed dial.

So I guess all those new rumors about the sleek new iCache containers are false?

So I guess all those new rumors about the sleek new iCache containers are false?

That's an interesting thought. What would an iCaching experience be like?

I imagine that you'd only be able to buy the iCache container from the iCaching store as no one else would be allowed to make an iCache container. A large portion of the container would be hermetically sealed and inaccessible by iCachers to keep the iCaching experience neat and tidy. Your iCache would come with standard swag that every iCache in the world would start wtih. Any swag placed in the iCache would have to be reviewed and approved before it could be placed in an iCache. :laughing:

This was simmered down? I still think it was quite rude. I explicitly said that I didn't think Apple would invest resources in this. Geeeezz.

OK, we've been assured by Jeremy that they have no agreement with Apple. So, that theory's out the window.

I'm curious if you are signed into the website when you pull up the cache page. The website does restrict the info you say is blacked out if you aren't signed in.

Another possibility: I've had a number of experiences with Verizon Wireless (VW) tech support that have involved callbacks & talking with different people. On a couple of these occasions, I've had a question, gotten an answer, then found out, after speaking to someone else, that the answer I initially got was pure and utter BS. I'm talking features and tech support type problems here, not "Can you give me a deal on service?" I think the story you're getting might be yet another example of this.

As I read through the posts, something else occurs to me:

...The only thing problem is a big black box cover the location of the cache and general info you need to locate it. The only part of the cache page you could view is the cache description and the logs...This happened to the one I just returned and also the two other they had on dispaly at the store...
I waited an hour in the cold dark morning to get my storm (14 out of 15). It get all the cache information. Can't tell any difference from it and my PC. The whole sheet comes out. You been had dude.
I'm reading 2 different stories here. Walts Hunting stood in line at a store that sold out of these phones in short order, while the store you got yours at has enough to put 2 on display? Not to mention the only reports of the problem are coming from you, while Walts Hunting reports it is working fine? Something sounds fishy to me... :laughing:

The store in Mayfield Heights, Ohio on Mayfield Road has two phones on display. You could call them directly and verify this. My phone and gxn's phone did the same thing. We both were signed into the site. We both got the pages blacked out. I'm not throwing any B.S. around. Just the facts.

I want that phone eventually, so I am curious. Did you look at a lot of other sites?

I just cannot imagine any way Apple could make that blocked, since it is just a browser that you are using. I often wonder about buying the first generation of technology, since you are beta testing it for bugs.

Edited by mtn-man

I have a BlackBerry (not the Storm) on AT&T and can log into the full GC.com site without any problems. I generally use the BlackBerry browser and have it set so that all I see is text and images to keep things fast. The page loads fast and displays fine without any trouble.

If I log in through the MediaNet browser, it displays fine in that mode too, but it's slower because it loads and formats the page with CSS Stylesheet formatting, Java/Javascript and everything else.

I would guess it's a problem with a browser setting or a glitch with their browser.

I want that phone eventually, so I am curious. Did you look at a lot of other sites?

I just cannot imagine any way Apple could make that blocked, since it is just a browser that you are using. I often wonder about buying the first generation of technology, since you are beta testing it for bugs.

I'm eligible for an update now, but I use AT&T. They're coming out with a new BB, but it's not a touch screen, so I'll wait. I'm always nervous to get first generation of anything because of the very reason you site.

I use a Blackberry (Not the Storm) on T-Mobile...works just fine for me...I too would like to get that phone...but until it is offered on other providers...Verizon doesn't like 3rd Party Software using "their" phones' features...stuff like Geocache Navigator...

I read somewhere that the GPS ships unlocked with the Storm so applications should work with it, but many will need to be rewritten to be Storm specific for whatever reason.

I use a Blackberry (Not the Storm) on T-Mobile...works just fine for me...I too would like to get that phone...but until it is offered on other providers...Verizon doesn't like 3rd Party Software using "their" phones' features...stuff like Geocache Navigator...

I read somewhere that the GPS ships unlocked with the Storm so applications should work with it, but many will need to be rewritten to be Storm specific for whatever reason.

I got a verizon Blackberry Storm the day it came out. I can pull up the geocaching.com site with the included browser no problem. I would recommend the wap.geocaching.com as it's easier to read and faster. I also have been able to pull up gps and navigate to a cache with my Storm using Blackberry Maps. You just have to format a link and send it to your phone. Then copy it and pin it to yourself. If you don't send it in a pin it won't give you the "view map" option for some reason. I may write a tutorial for storm users, but I'm still playing with it to see if it's accurate enough for geocaching.

pastorhudson

Hate to revive a dead topic but here's a little gee wiz information for y'all, from a VZW Tech. First off, all the Verizon based Blackberry that are running device software 4.5 and higher not have the GPS's unlocked. I personally own the 8330 Curve and the 9530 Storm. Both devices are fully unlocked! Geocache Navigator DOES work on the Storm but you need to use the Bold's s/w version and selecting items in the menu is almost impossible because it wasn't coded for a touch screen device.

As to the browser, there's a few tricks you can use to make a page appear differently. If you open the browser and hit the "Menu" key, sellect Options>General options, there's a selection for what type of Browser emulation the device should use. As pointed out earlier, different browsers render pages differently. If nether of the three options (Firefox, IE, or Blackberry) work for you. Try, Downloading Opera Mini or keep your eyes on the soon to be released Mobile Firefox for Blackberry, code named: "Fennec".

On the Blackberry Storm, to turn on GPS location for the built in (free) maps go to Options-> Advanced Options-> GPS-> and set GPS Services to "Location On"

Verison recently unlocked the GPS for other applications to use, unfortunatly because of the way it works Google Maps doesn't seem to know how to use it. I think it has to do with the fact it is a real GPS reciever and not the usual cell tower based GPS. Now, if we could just get the iPhone app ported over to the BlackBerry... :D

Hay Groundspeak, I'm willing to Beta Test for ya :laughing:

I picked up a new Storm a few days ago, and the Geocaching site is working just fine for me. The WAP site is pretty lame, though... the items need to be double-spaced because its way too hard to "click" on the right link the way it is now. That and the PREV/NEXT buttons on the description pages would be more useful as real links, as it's hard to tell when you're actually clicking on one.

FWIW, my OS version is 4.7.0.75, which is the second major OS release for the Storm. There's another one due out in a couple more weeks from what I'm told.

The GPS works great too... I've used Google Maps just fine, plus also VZNavigator, and Trapster, the neat little app that tells you when there are cops around (based on input from other users).

I haven't found a caching-specific app for it yet that I like. No way in ____ am I spending what they want for that "Geocaching Navigator" thing. Man they sure are proud of that.

Besides, I didn't buy this thing for Geocaching. I have a DeLorme PN-40SE for that. :)

Rob