Announcing: The Eclectic Penguin coin!

Eclectic Penguin

Now successfully ordered.

I can now reveal that there is going to be a limited edition of 40 glow in the dark Eclectic Penguin coins as part of this release. They differ from the original flock in 2 ways. They will have green eyes and green bow-ties and will be minted using nickel metal. One thing that remains the same though there will be no increase in price for this limited edition set - £6.50 per coin, same as the original release and also the last glow in the dark release.

All others will be very limited editions (20 or less in each release)...

In all fairness, having re-read the communication from Goolge Checkout, they were stating that there was a problem and that I may need to check back with the vendor - they weren't blaming the vendor for the problem. I've used them before both with and without problems (mostly caused by the credit card company). I'd use them again but recommend making the payment very soon after the request comes through.

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

40689_145277128830797_100000455326987_337796_7721385_n.jpg

They're almost available for to me to sell - but stuck in British customs at the moment, so I can't photograph them myself and put them on my own cart...

ALL are of a new metal - Nickel so all are different to previous Eclectic Penguin coins.

1 is a limited edition set of 40 - same as the previous glow in the dark, eyes and belly (they ALL glow in the dark apart from 2 by the way), but differ with green eyes and bowtie. £6.50 as were the previous coins.

2 is a very limited edition of 20 that's already pre-sold very well at recent local events - glitter belly. Doesn't glow in the dark.. but is very different from my previous Eclectic Penguin coins! £9 per coin.

3a and 3b can only be bought as a pair - His and Hers. £20 per pair. I asked that they'd be laser etched as pairs - I have no confirmation at the moment this has been done but they both glow in the dark... Several pairs have also been pre-sold already in recent local events so I know these will fly away quickly.

4... not for sale...

Postage and packaging will be added at a reasonable rate as with previous coins.

Hooray! After well over a year's absence and many, many requests for their return - they're back and for the first time in a new metal - Nickel. Unlike last time though where all the coins were made available in generous runs of 100, the three mint runs I've made are limited or very limited editions - but I also hope very special editions too.

The first is only limited to 40 coins - The Second Eclectic Penguin Glow in the Dark

01GlowInDarkLit.jpg01GlowInDarkGlow.jpg

And as you can see, the coin really does glow in the dark! I've also kept a promise I made on an online forum last year - my next generally available coin will be priced at the same price as the original Eclectic Penguin Coin so for at least the first month, this is for sale at £6.50 (Sterling)

The second edition is a very limited release of 20 - these have glitter bellies - by popular demand!

02Giltter.jpg

The third is a very special edition aimed predominantly at collectors, or those who wish to set a very special mission for a pair of love(ely) coins...The Him and Her Eclectic Pair, which can only be bought as a pair.

03PenguinsInLoveLight.jpg

Whilst being sold as a pair, these are individual geocoins in their own right with separate tracking numbers, but are also bonded by a separate laser etched serial number (xx/20) on the side of a flipper. They also both glow in the dark too!

03PenguinsInLoveDark.jpg

All have the same back as previous Eclectic Penguin coins, where the Groundspeak tracking number can be observed.

Back.jpg

I've already sold several Glitter Belly and Him and Her coins this week before even getting a change to put this on-line so I imagine they won't be for sale too long...

You can find out details of costs and how to order at: http://www.eclectic-penguin.org.uk/cart.

One final thing... if you're a collector and have all my previous Eclectic Penguin coins and intend to buy all of the above, please get in touch as soon as possible as I may be able to furnish your collection with an extra E.P. coin that won't be available for sale via my shopping cart...

It's been too long - and I've so enjoyed getting back in the process of minting a personal coin for my own enjoyment... I'm hoping to get a brand new design into circulation before too long, depending on how the above sell.

Thanks especially to all international orderers to date - even more to North America and the Antipodean orders, knowing the exchange rate changes that have taken place. I'm really touched by some of your personal comments by email and with your orders and I also appreciate the exchange rate is a little different to what it was a year and a half ago when the first batch went for sale (not to mention the dramatically different economic climate) - its good to see that there are folk who are still fans of the little E.P. coin, my first coin and still my favourite!

I've tried to be fair - I'm using the same postal rate (despite 2 increases here) and the same cost for the glow in the dark coin - mainly as a celebration that I can now to put these coins into production once more - last year was probably the toughest one for me yet for the same reasons that many of you guys have struggled/are struggling I'm sure in this age where austerity is now the new buzz word.

Thanks especially to all international orderers to date - even more to North America and the Antipodean orders, knowing the exchange rate changes that have taken place. I'm really touched by some of your personal comments by email and with your orders and I also appreciate the exchange rate is a little different to what it was a year and a half ago when the first batch went for sale (not to mention the dramatically different economic climate) - its good to see that there are folk who are still fans of the little E.P. coin, my first coin and still my favourite!

I've tried to be fair - I'm using the same postal rate (despite 2 increases here) and the same cost for the glow in the dark coin - mainly as a celebration that I can now to put these coins into production once more - last year was probably the toughest one for me yet for the same reasons that many of you guys have struggled/are struggling I'm sure in this age where austerity is now the new buzz word.

Did you get my email?

I'm proud to pre-announce...

A new Eclectic Penguin coin is being released very early in the new year - and he's etched into solid rock made from 400 million year old Welsh slate rock, not metal... watch this space! 49* have been ordered and designed ... this time the same simple but familiar penguin design but etched onto a circular shaped piece of Welsh slate (front and back). Slightly bigger than the original EP metal coin with the familiar penguin's simple design laser etched onto both sides of the the disc.

Those who have already seen the Mega Wales Slate Coins that I'm also currently undertaking, will have seen the general idea of what this slate etched coin looks like. I'll post photos of the proof coins for the slate version of Eclectic Penguin very soon.

For the first time I'm also pleased to announce, the coin will have a serial number starting with EP (thanks very much to the folks at Groundspeak for arranging that!)!

*Coin number 50... well, he's extra special - 3 inch tall fully Eclectic Penguin shaped slate, sand blasted and paint filled for colours - one of a kind - same shape front and back, at the moment at least... (but super expensive too, which it why he's one of a kind for me!) Unless someone asks for one when they see how lovely it looks... ;):D

All these are made by Identilase Ltd - a very local business to me and very proud to be all 100% Welsh.

...for an idea of what I'm talking about, look up the thread for Mega Wales slate coin - I've been working hard to get these out and available too on these too.

A couple have contacted me puzzled by the small number of these being produced.

I'm starting off with 50 - if they prove as successful as I suspect they will, I'll be ordering more. Since these are being produced by a local craft company, all I need to do is order 50 more tracking numbers and another 50 will be available for sale within days.

So fear not - if you're worried that you may be be beaten by others - you'll get your E.P. slate coin.

Be aware that, at this moment at least, these are effectively a continuation of the existing Eclectic Penguin coin, with the same icon and series name (and indeed both front and back design, all be it on a slightly larger circular tab of slate rock) - but for the first time with my own EP prefix on tracking numbers. I realise this won't deter friends who have bought previous editions of my very personal Geocoin... however be also aware that the South Wales Mega Slate Coin (with its two distinctive designs) that has also been announced on this forum recently that I'm also responsible for, is a completely new production run with brand new icon and production name - and unless there are major unforeseen problems, will be the first slate Geocoins on the market very early in the new year.

The South Wales Mega Slate Geocoin and The Eclectic Penguin Geocoin (slate version or any other version) can't be bought together, unfortunately. South Wales Mega Slate will soon be available via a new South Wales Mega 2011 online shop while the Eclectic Penguin slate geocoin will be available through my own online shop. There are many reasons for this distinction - mainly the Mega Wales coin is a fund raiser for an event that I'm very much involved in putting together next July and the Penguin... that's just me!

I'm extremely disappointed with the sales of the Slate Eclectic Penguin to be honest. I really liked him and friends said so too, but most others apart from a few takers weren't. I can't understand why as my other recent designs, the Mega Wales Slate Geocoin continue to sell like there's no tomorrow with literally hundreds now sold on the Mega Wales shop.

I won't be making any more - this is now officially a limited edition of 50 slate penguins of this design. Sorry old Slatey Penguin - even getting the first "E.P." pefix on your serial number didn't help.

Eclectic Penguin :(

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about your troubles selling through. I wasn't even aware of the slate version of the EP coin until I saw this post. I own one of the Mega Wales slate coins, and absolutely love it! Now that I know, I just ordered 2 of the Eclectic Penguin slate coins from your shop. I hope more people find this and you see more sales from it. :)

for anyone wondering, I've still got a few slate Eclectic Penguin coins left - but I'm also going to be producing some more metal ones very soon too and possibly some special limited edition slate Geocoins of my own.

In the mean time, I commissioned the company who made the laser etched E.P. slate coins to produce something altogether different for me. A shaped, 8 inch tall Eclectic Penguin to exactly the same art designs as all previous Eclectic Penguins, but made from solid Welsh Slate. It was a serious technical challenge for Kevin whose company makes these and for several reasons took a couple of months to realise, but boy did he come up with the goods!!!

slateAmmoCan.jpg

This Eclectic Penguin is 20 centimetres (8 inches) tall, 1 centimetre thick and weighs a fair amount too!

Unlike some other birds, he didn't go cheap, since this was a one-off commission and it actually took several days of labour to complete - but I was willing to pay whatever it costed to get such a beautiful piece of Welsh craft work made with my own avatar image! He'll be accompanying me to various events this year, including Mega Wales 2011 and the South Wales camping event that takes place in just under 4 weeks time.