Custom Mapmaking for Delorme GPS's

yogazoo

Hello all,

With all the latest buzz about the Delorme pn-40 and it's powerful software for the computer I have a few questions for a Delorme user.

For me and my uses, the ability to create custom maps for my garmin unit have proven to be the most valuable aspect in owning a Garmin. I can take any vector data (shapefile) and turn it into a customizable (colors and patterns with TYP) map for my Garmin. Landowner data is one of those super valuable data layers to have in the palm of my hand. Is there any way to do the same with the Delorme PN-XX's? Would I have the ability to import ESRI (vector) data and make maps for my Delorme unit? If so, are the data displays (colors, patterns) customizable? I know I could probably draw or trace the information but to do so for the whole state of Montana would be impossible. I need to import large scale vector layers.

With all of the hype over aerial imagery (justified of course) I often rely on my vector data for more informational aspects. Im actually even torn between which is more helpful, the shaded DEM on the newer Garmins or the aerial imagery of the Delorme's. Don't get me wrong, I realize the merits of both but there is still some user preference involved here. I'm simply trying to own the GPS that will be best suited for my needs and knowing about vector data conversion into maps for the Delorme will go a long way in helping make a descision. Thanks in advance!

Hmmm...you're getting beyond my ken. XMap Pro will export raster files to the PNs, but since that level of XMap doesn't allow for vectorized imports I don't know about vectorized exports. I think you have to get go up a level or two.

Ah...a look at the XMap product page suggests that XMap Editor will do what you want.

Import, export & create vector GIS data layers - complete shapefile support

It's a pricey piece of software...the half-price discount for XMap to PN-xx owners is limited to XMap Pro AFAIK. Maybe they would take something off its big brothers if you were to talk to them.

Yogazoo, I'm a Garmin user from way back and I'm sure looking at the PN-40 for all the reasons already stated on the forum pages. I too use my GPSrs the way you do, although I'm I'm in the GIS field and work with survey.

I found a good review on GPSreview.net that touches on your (and my) question here. In part here is an excerpt under the Topo USA software heading;

"There are tools for managing/joining/breaking tracklogs, building trail networks, adding in new roads, sharing routes and trip plans over the internet with other users, 3D map views, elevation profiles of lines and trails. You can build custom polygons representing things like property boundaries, measure acreage, tools for managing waypoints and geocaches, the ability to geocode photos to specific locations from a tracklog, view BML or WMD data that is of interest to fishermen and hunters… The list goes on and on."

I can't find it now, but I read some info from the Delorme folks that described being able to create trails, boundaries, roads, etc for uploading to the PN-40 that can be toggled on/off as independent "draw layers" I think they termed it. I'll keep searching for that again.

I've been reading through the Delorme Forum pages and I think we can find a way to use shapefiles or .gpx files of our data (like parcel boundaries) to convert (using GPSBabel?) for importing into the PN-40. Speculation here on my part. If any Delorme folks are listening what do you think? Maybe pose your question on their Forum, too.

Xmap Editor will import SHP files, e.g. I just did a Barbados road map, import main roads, set width and red colour, import secondary roads, colour yellow, import the island polygon, give it a beige fill, export as a map file to the PN. Took a few minutes.

I've also been making aerials and vector maps for a 60Csx. This is just so much easier. Xmap Editor also imports MrSID and Geotiff.

Xmap Editor will import SHP files, e.g. I just did a Barbados road map, import main roads, set width and red colour, import secondary roads, colour yellow, import the island polygon, give it a beige fill, export as a map file to the PN. Took a few minutes.

I've also been making aerials and vector maps for a 60Csx. This is just so much easier. Xmap Editor also imports MrSID and Geotiff.

Awesome news! Thanks reef mapper. I'll read more on Xmap Editor.

You're right on the draw layers, Timpat. They can contain any of the things you mentioned, as well as waypoints copied as POIs (these would be searchable and routable, but not editable).

XMap is the gateway for importing imagery for custom exportable maps, and shapefiles require the program I mentioned above. But even Topo7 will import and export gpx files. So yeah, laying out parcel boundaries is a snap.

Thanks for all the info folks!

I looked at the price of the "Editor" software and even if Delorme gave it to me for half price ($400) it would be too much to justify. Not when I can create vector maps for my Garmin for free. If only Delorme added into Xmap Pro the ability to import/export vector data to the GPS I would be sold instantly.

I guess a work around would be to export georeferenced BMP's from ArcGIS that show land ownership and import that raster image onto the unit but that sounds a bit clunky to do. Anyone else have any other solutions for how to import custom vector maps into your Delorme without paying for Xmap Editor?

Edited by yogazoo

Since you have ArcGIS you can use DNR Garmin (for example) to convert parcel shapefiles to .gpx polylines projected correctly to WGS84 and it sounds like Topo7 will import them. This is what I do for getting parcel data saved on my 60Cx in the form of "saved tracks" to use in the field. Sounds like Delorme is better suited for this type of thing, having the ability to add text to the draw (or map) layer so you get some attributes as well. I'm liking this better all the time!

I looked at the price of the "Editor" software and even if Delorme gave it to me for half price ($400) it would be too much to justify.

A quick note from DeLorme...

First off, a word of thanks for your interest in the PN-40. We are genuinely excited about the release of this product and we are confident that you will be impressed with its performance.

In order to understand the pricing of XMap, it is important that you take a look at what is included in the software. XMap GIS Editor is more than simply a tool for processing data for transfer to the PN-40. It is a full featured and relatively inexpensive GIS management application. Not only will it allow you to import shapefiles and other vector data but you can create, edit, classify, symbolize, query, modify attribute fields, publish to the Web, etc, etc.

For the PN-40 user, XMap provides a virtually limitless source of free map data from a wide variety of sources, all of which can be transferred to the device. XMap even includes an image registration tool that allows you to create a map layer from an image file or scanned map.

I hope this helps.