Public Transport Tracks? (Zurich - I need Zurich San Francisco, etc!)

Couchsurfer

I guess one thing is that there are so many maps for 'zurich' for example, on openstreetmap, yet none that filter out when I say 'zurich train', etc hmmmm anyway...

I need tracks I can lay on my zurich map so I can get around... any ideas? Also would love such tracks for San Francisco, and I always have this question for new cites - any sources?

I guess one thing is that there are so many maps for 'zurich' for example, on openstreetmap, yet none that filter out when I say 'zurich train', etc hmmmm anyway...

I need tracks I can lay on my zurich map so I can get around... any ideas? Also would love such tracks for San Francisco, and I always have this question for new cites - any sources?

You need to download the raw data and search for tags such as railway=tram. Or search for bus routes, etc. It's not super easy, but it should be all there if you want to dig for it a bit.

BTW, there are 157,000 tracers, to sort of 'sort through'.

It's unbelievable that this data isn't readily available.

not what you want but I found this.

and you could try contacting each city, they may have something or at least start working on it.

cool request, I'll have to check with my local service and see what they have.

ADD: another link of some POI for public transportation at poi-factory.com

Edited by cameltrekor

Yea thank you!

I am looking, sadly at their forum an 'experienced' used states: ( http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=1965 )

"The search system in OSM for gps tracklogs is very bad and you are going to have a hard time to get anything out of it."

They got THAT right!

Any other methods out there, dear users?

:D Couchsurfer

I wasn't talking about GPS traces, I was talking about the OpenStreetMap data, refined and derived (usually) from those source GPS traces. Still going to take some work, but not nearly as much as sorting through 157,000 traces.

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=1965 is the other conversation over at OSM.

Frankly, SiliconFiend, I'm thankful for the help, but I don't know what you mean (or how to go about 'it') when you state: "refined and derived (usually) from those source GPS traces". Happy to learn of course!

Perhaps other thread is interesting, though, for people following it, especially with regards to my clarification of the problem.

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=1965 is the other conversation over at OSM.

Frankly, SiliconFiend, I'm thankful for the help, but I don't know what you mean (or how to go about 'it') when you state: "refined and derived (usually) from those source GPS traces". Happy to learn of course!

Perhaps other thread is interesting, though, for people following it, especially with regards to my clarification of the problem.

My point is that the data in OpenStreetMap is not just GPS traces (that's just a small part of it). People have taken those traces as source data and drawn in the streets and given them attributes (tags). For what you're looking for, download the raw OSM data for the city and then look for things that are tagged like railway=tram, railway=light_rail, railway=subway or download the relations of type route=bus and plot out the listed streets. It would be nice if someone did this automatically for big cities and made that data available in various formats.