OK, you 'Micro Haters'......

Star*Hopper

The 'Are micros an excuse....' thread gave me an idea -- so let me ask here:

IF the micros you were finding held swag - micro-swag though it would be - would you consider that any kind of 'saving grace'?

~*

Pretty much micro haters don't exist. I know I just found 6 yesterday. Good luck with the thread though. :laughing:

IF the micros you were finding held swag - micro-swag though it would be - would you consider that any kind of 'saving grace'?

~*

Would micro-swag keep them from being placed in boring, repetitive, obvious locations - to a degree far greater than larger caches? I'm thinking... no.

I'm not a "micro hater". As a matter of fact, I happen to own the oldest existing micro in North America. I'm just "micro burned-out". There's only so many times you can drive towards a cache location, only to see a parking lot full of lamp posts, and not shake your head in disgust at some people total lack of imagination.

I have a cache called Shark Talez and it "was" a full sized Lock-n-Lock, it was in a nice spot but got damaged. Replaced it then it got muggled. Replaced that with a nice concrete-camo'ed ammo can, that got muggled, too. The location was more the attraction here (big giant fake shark hanging by it's tail) so I replaced it with a micro. Was cleaning up some stuff in the garage yesterday and found a big container of shark teeth my kids and I collected over the years so I decided it would be good swag to put a bunch of shark teeth in the micro container along with the log. That way it's cache theme appropriate swag in a micro at a neat location. What else could a micro-hater want???? :laughing:

Personally I think micro-haters are kind of like many Corvette owners, trying to make up for some kind of "inadequacies" thru obsessions about something large.... hehehehehe :laughing:

I don't think so.

Again - the size isn't the total picture of the real problem. The problem is caches that are placed in totally unimaginitive locations in leaky containers by cachers too uncaring to do anything better. It just so happens that a micro lends itself well to that kind of cache. As a result many micros end up being repetitive caches.

But size is just part of the problem. Adding some swag might help another part of the issue but not enough to sway me.

~*

Pretty much micro haters don't exist. I know I just found 6 yesterday. Good luck with the thread though. :laughing:

It was an overgeneralization with purpose -- I think everyone knows what I'm talkin' about. What I'm after is 'sway'....perhaps if we can get the idea implanted in enough heads - the ol' "make lemonade" kinda thing, the general attitude about micros being the whipping boy of caching might can undergo a renaissance.

I like the concept of "Have you fed a micro today?"

:laughing:

~*

But size is just part of the problem. Adding some swag might help another part of the issue but not enough to sway me.
Order and pay for an ammo can from online surplus store. Wait for it's arrival. Clean it, re-paint it. Using QuickCrete you dig a hole in the yard and form the "mold" of a rock. You tape off the handle and latch and plastic wrap the lid. Place the ammo can in the hole and cast QuickCrete around it. Carefully remove it the next day. Remove all tape and plastic. Repaint exposed sections and check seal. Print out cache info page. Draw neat little picture inside front page of log book and place with pens into heavy plastic bag. Head to dollar store and buy swag. Pick and place good swag in ammo can. Get geo-coin and place in baggie as FTF prize. Find great location hidden away from public around concrete rocks near riverbank with beautiful view. Place cache and enter listing. A few weeks later get notice that signs of homeless in area and cache container is gone. Start over...

Or get bag full of 35mm canisters for free or 80-cent waterproof match holders from Wally-World. Place in secure spot bring people to same river view. A few weeks later get notice that signs of homeless in area and cache container is gone. Replace for free or 80-cents. Keep on truckin'...

When people visit the site they remember the view, the walk there and the peace of the area. The size of the container won't be much a part of that memory. Yeah, micro's are easier and less expensive to hide so they tend to attract the lower end efforts, but if ammo cans were free or cost 80-cents you'd have just as many "lame" full sized hides as you do micros.

Stop trying to defend Micros. They are evil. They are so evil that they force people who hate micros to hunt them anyway! You don't see puzzle caches forcing people who hate puzzles to hunt them do you? Micros even force people who hate them to hide their own micros! Now that is evil. :laughing:

OK, seriously, size is not a significant indicator of the quality of the cache.

I don't hate micros, although I have been frustrated by them a few times when I couldn't spot the little rascals. Plunder or prizes in a geocache don't particularly interest me but to each his own. One of my most memorable cache finds was one called "Red Skies and Spies at Night" It was a re-painted Altoids box with a magnet attached.... physically it was just a pretty basic micro in a guard rail.

But the theme of the cache was what intrigued me about it.... kind of a Russian spy versus spy idea and a great sunset view out over a valley. It was humorous and showed some imagination but simple in execution. There may have been some small loot inside but that wasn't the point. It was a clever idea and I had a lot of fun writing up my log for it. Fun is what motivates me, not stuff.

Don't want swag, want fun. A bench by the side of a busy street isn't fun, especially when the only "view" is a hair salon. I don't have micros show up on my local PQ, but for something out in the woods, I'll look for a micro, since it's probably going to be in a neat place, either for the final location, or the travel to get to it.

if ammo cans were free or cost 80-cents you'd have just as many "lame" full sized hides as you do micros.

I have to call Shenanigans on that one. For the "typical" micro hider, expending any kind of effort is to be avoided at all costs. That effort can be the amount of $$$ spent on swag, the work involved in carrying a big, clunky ammo can more than 5' from the parking lot, or the creativity expended in finding a hiding place that won't get muggled in just a few minutes. Because size is an indicator of effort, I'd say that those folks who get their jollies spewing out countless, thoughtless film canisters in uninspired locations, would not be inclined to hide anything that required even the hint of extra effort.

But to answer the question: Lame is far more about the hider than it is about the container. There is a certain mindset that believes spewing out free containers stuffed with scraps of paper, in uninspired locations, is the bees knees. (not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's your thing... ;) ) If someone forced them to add swag to their film canisters, they'd still be lame. Even if someone gave them a semi truck load of ammo cans, (preloaded with wag & a logbook so they wouldn't need to cough up any $$$), the result would be a bunch of lame, regular caches. Lame hiders cannot hide creative caches.

(However, creative hiders CAN hide lame caches) :)

~*

Would micro-swag keep them from being placed in boring, repetitive, obvious locations - to a degree far greater than larger caches? I'm thinking... no.

I'm not a "micro hater". As a matter of fact, I happen to own the oldest existing micro in North America. I'm just "micro burned-out". There's only so many times you can drive towards a cache location, only to see a parking lot full of lamp posts, and not shake your head in disgust at some people total lack of imagination.

Bah, I just hid a micro in a parking lot at a lamp post yesturday LoL ;) BUT, It won't be so completely easy to find. Its not under the base cover as so many are. Its only my 3rd cache placed. I was more testing a way to hide it then anything.

The plus to this hide is that its the only one within several miles. I wanted to put it some where else, but there were no idea locations for it.

As far as hating micro's. I think finding them is the thing that gets me. I could care less about swag. I leave items, but I never take anything unless its trackable.

~*

Bah, I just hid a micro in a parking lot at a lamp post yesturday LoL ;) BUT, It won't be so completely easy to find. Its not under the base cover as so many are. Its only my 3rd cache placed. I was more testing a way to hide it then anything.

The plus to this hide is that its the only one within several miles. I wanted to put it some where else, but there were no idea locations for it.

As far as hating micro's. I think finding them is the thing that gets me. I could care less about swag. I leave items, but I never take anything unless its trackable.

~*

Would that be GCK4CG ?

Swag rarely interests me, I just enjoy the hunt. I've seen tiny swag in micros but it's usually folded lucky "hell banknotes", obsolete European coins, a marble or similar. Nothing really to get excited about. I'll happily hunt micros but there's something nice about a decent ammo can and proper logbook with space for long descriptive logs, it somehow feels "better" than a 35mm film can with a strip of lined paper in it.

The lack of imagination bothers me too.

I do love neat, especially themed swag (like the hand made cartouches in "Ribbitankhamun") and i pride myself on neat "stuff" in my own caches...so I guess swag matters, but location and cleverness matter more. I don't like micros as a rule with the exception of such interesting hides that they make you smile and have a great time finding but 99% of all the ones I have found are annoying....guard rails etc. Ugh.

Bigdogsrule

So far in 2008 I've found 234 geocaches. Of those, exactly 12 were micros. Do I hate micros? No. Do I avoid them because experience has shown that they usually take me nowhere interesting? Yes.

Would swag make them more appealing? Not to me.

Put a micro at a nice location and I'll happily hunt it -- if I can find it amidst all the hundreds of other micros hidden in parking lots, on lamp posts, stuck at bus stops, on signs, newspaper vending machines, payphones, guardrails, electrical boxes, dumpsters, trash cans, etc.

So far in 2008 I've found 234 geocaches. Of those, exactly 12 were micros. Do I hate micros? No. Do I avoid them because experience has shown that they usually take me nowhere interesting? Yes.

Would swag make them more appealing? Not to me.

Put a micro at a nice location and I'll happily hunt it -- if I can find it amidst all the hundreds of other micros hidden in parking lots, on lamp posts, stuck at bus stops, on signs, newspaper vending machines, payphones, guardrails, electrical boxes, dumpsters, trash cans, etc.

Ditto! :unsure: