Think this is a cache?

LDove

Crazy people. I can almost form an image, in my ever-fertile little mind, of say five people struggling to drag a piano into the woods. Who would do such a thing? Can you image that?

Let's say the ground is muddy - you couldn't drive a truck into the woods, it'd get stuck - you'd need some type of trailer. It'd have to be a small trailer so these five weirdos could manuever it.

Then you'd have to lighten the piano. Pianos are really heavy! You really should take the guts out of it.

Next you'd come across things like brambles, thorns, logs and barbed wire. You'd have to consider the environment.

Finally, consider muggles. How could you possibly sneak a piano into the woods with nobody seeing it? Oh, there may be a Troop of Boy Scouts camping nearby wondering what you're up to. You may have to spill the beans so they wouldn't call the cops or anything. You'd have to manuever this beast into position IN THE DARK!

I'll bet those people were really tired after getting it into the woods. I'll bet they were exhausted, sweaty and maybe even a bit peaved with the whole process. What would you do if you had to move a @#&% Baldwin piano into the woods?

Nope, only some crazed maniac would even attempt such a feat.

Edited by rogheff

God - we all need help - my first thought as well when I heard it on the radio was - "I wonder whose cache that is...?"

Make that three (so far) that heard the story on the radio and thought it might be a cache.

A few blocks from where I live in an area called "Collegetown" (where many of the Cornell University students live) there is a metal replica of a piano, painted lavender, and sitting on a metal pole a few feet from the sidewalk. I've thought about placing a cache on it but I'm pretty sure that it's on private property, is located on the side of a hill that would erode if people started searching it, and is in a very muggle rich area.

As it turns out there used to be a piano store at that location many years ago. The store is long gone the the purple piano of collegetown remains.

I just love to find discarded furniture along the roadside or in the woods, NOT! But when I do I will usually hade a cache in the cushion. Usually the furniture eventually gets muggled and the cache is left behind. There is a whole series of these I have put out along a deserted frontage road near here. It starts with GC1ADDQ

I must still be a romantic. The first thought I had was that someone went to a great deal of trouble to get a piano out in the middle of nowhere so they could do some campy, romantic scene with roses and champagne, just before proposing to their true love--and now they can't do it!

Maybe it was placed there by people who like playing music out in the woods, communing with nature and enjoying their surroundings, a bit like playing guitars round a camp fire but involving a few more people to carry the instrument!

There was the remains of a piano discovered on Britains highest mountain, Ben Nevis in Scotland a while ago, apparently someone abandoned it after carrying it to the top of the mountain to play the tune "Scotland The Brave".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highla...nds/4990662.stm

Crazy people. I can almost form an image, in my ever-fertile little mind, of say five people struggling to drag a piano into the woods. Who would do such a thing? Can you image that?

Let's say the ground is muddy - you couldn't drive a truck into the woods, it'd get stuck - you'd need some type of trailer. It'd have to be a small trailer so these five weirdos could manuever it.

Then you'd have to lighten the piano. Pianos are really heavy! You really should take the guts out of it.

Next you'd come across things like brambles, thorns, logs and barbed wire. You'd have to consider the environment.

Finally, consider muggles. How could you possibly sneak a piano into the woods with nobody seeing it? Oh, there may be a Troop of Boy Scouts camping nearby wondering what you're up to. You may have to spill the beans so they wouldn't call the cops or anything. You'd have to manuever this beast into position IN THE DARK!

I'll bet those people were really tired after getting it into the woods. I'll bet they were exhausted, sweaty and maybe even a bit peaved with the whole process. What would you do if you had to move a @#&% Baldwin piano into the woods?

Nope, only some crazed maniac would even attempt such a feat.

At least it's not a nano in the woods...

I must still be a romantic. The first thought I had was that someone went to a great deal of trouble to get a piano out in the middle of nowhere so they could do some campy, romantic scene with roses and champagne, just before proposing to their true love--and now they can't do it!

We had to do a cache out on a local island here in Canberra, and without room for everyone in the boat, my wife decided to stay on shore.

As she waited she noticed something out in the reeds, and wandered over to have a look, and there was a wrapped and prepared bouquet of flowers complete with ribbon etc.

She thought about taking them rather than leaving them discarded in the reeds, but thank goodness she didn't, because not long afterwards a guy and his girlfriend paddled up in one of the hire pedal boats, and he reached in and grabbed the flowers, and proposed to his girlfriend right there on the spot.

Would have been real embarrasing if he'd had to ask my wife for his flowers back before he could propose.

Sooo sweet.

They pedalled past us as we boated back to shore, and I wondered why the girl looked so ecstaticly happy.

The penny dropped when the wife recounted the story as we got to shore.

Edited by Super-T

I have been to Bell's Neck many times, there are a number of unpaved but very passable roads in the vicinity. The Cape Cod Rail Trail a premier bike route runs through the conservation area. Canoeing and kayaking on Ponds, which is referred to as the Reservoir is wonderful, you can paddle the Herring River down to Nantucket Sound. Knowing the area, I would suspect that someone was paying tribute to someone who died, and who loved that area. I have seen other oddities on Cape Cod like that. For a Geocaching blog in that area, visit my friend at:The Trailhound

She writes about Geocaching on Cape Cod, and it is a wonderful place to cache.