My Major Problems with my Oregon

ryan3295

After using my Oregon to navigate on a 400 mile trip from Minneapolis to Chicago it started to show some strange behavior. If anybody has ever driven through a tunnel with their gps, long enough so that it will lose signal, you should see that it will "project where you are". In other words if at the moment the gps lost (because of the tunnel) and you were moving North at 35 mph, the gps would continue update your position as though you were still moving at that course and speed until it received signal again. On the way to Chicago my Oregon exhibited this behavior once, and the way Home twice, only problem the gps did not loose signal. Simply turning the Oregon off and on again made it work again. The third time this happened I noticed that even though according the gps it had good signal. However, the signal strength would never fluctuate, even if the gps was covered with my hand, almost like it was in simulator mode! The pictures say what happend better that I can! Any thoughts?

"Lost GPS"

14090.jpg

After restarting the gps

40.jpg

Signal Strength while covered

14081.jpg

huh!!

No GPS I have owned contines to "project" a guessed waypoint after it loses a signal.

Methinks you may have been experiencing some weird multipath errors due to the tunnel(s). Either that or just the weird drift that some Oregon users have experienced. But I have a hard time trying to figure out what you are saying.

Also - what version of the software are you running?

First, it is not multi-path, I am out on the interstate (clear view of the sky). And to be clear what is happing my gps is telling me that my speed, bearing, are staying the same. The result is a perfectly straight track line shown under the "lost gps photo". --Sorry for the confusion.

Running latest versions of the software 2.6/2.55

Was the location on the satellite page updating?

Yes, however, the satellite strength never changed (almost like it was in simulator mode)

What does the track log look like just before and after you power cycled?

Before power cycled - my track log was static, meaning same bearing and speed.

After power cycled - the track log was dynamic - my speed and bearing were changing.

Do you see your position way off course and then a jump back to the right spot?

No, I-94 is my real location.

Here is one more picture show the instance that my bearing and speed remain static.

Before this happened my track log is following I-94 perfectly.

14204.jpg

Here are some Mapsoure photos close up at the times the "drift" (only calling it drift for lack of a better term) started. After review the track logs in Mapsource, I noticed all three times the drift start after going under an overpass on the interstate. Track log data points also do not exist for the extend of the drift.

My green track represent going from Minneapolis to Chicago, the red track is the trip home.

Going under bridge1

lostlocation1.jpg

Going under bridge2

lostlocation2.jpg

Going under bridge3

lostlocation3.jpg

The big picture to show the drift was most likly not going to correct itself.

bigpicture.jpg

huh!!

No GPS I have owned contines to "project" a guessed waypoint after it loses a signal.

Methinks you may have been experiencing some weird multipath errors due to the tunnel(s). Either that or just the weird drift that some Oregon users have experienced. But I have a hard time trying to figure out what you are saying.

Also - what version of the software are you running?

My Venture Cx and a Streetpilot 2610 I was using at the time did it when I visited Washington DC last year. Eventually, the GPS stops tracking in the long tunnels. But, it happened to me just as he describes.

Looks to me like it lost its fix on the sats and then resumed the track when it had sats again. The tracklog just drew a straight line from where it was at the loss to where it was when it had a signal again.

Nothing unusual about that - with the possible exception of why it took so long to re-aquire the signal.

Looks to me like it lost its fix on the sats and then resumed the track when it had sats again. The tracklog just drew a straight line from where it was at the loss to where it was when it had a signal again.

Nothing unusual about that - with the possible exception of why it took so long to re-aquire the signal.

That exactaly what the gps did, only I had to turn the gps off and then back on to get to resume like normal again.

That exactaly what the gps did, only I had to turn the gps off and then back on to get to resume like normal again.

ahhhhhh - now that makes more sense. What was the orientation of the GPS and where in the car was it located?

But during the "drift" I thought the location was updating and the satellite page indicated satellite lock (even though it was frozen). If you had lost reception you should have received a "Lost Satellite Reception" alert, the satellite indicator on the main page would have gone red, location on the satellite page should have blanked out, you would have had partial satellite lock, etc, etc.

From a track point of view it does look like it lost reception.

Strange.

GO$Rs

But during the "drift" I thought the location was updating and the satellite page indicated satellite lock (even though it was frozen). If you had lost reception you should have received a "Lost Satellite Reception" alert, the satellite indicator on the main page would have gone red, location on the satellite page should have blanked out, you would have had partial satellite lock, etc, etc.

From a track point of view it does look like it lost reception.

Strange.

GO$Rs

Indeed I did not lose satellite lock accord to my gps. However, there are other indication that my gps did loose reception or at least stop collecting data from the satellites:

-Satellite strength remained the same regardless of orientation. Covering the gps with my hand I would expect to see a decrease in sat. signal strength.

-My gps speed remained the same, down the nearest tenth of a mile(this also why my location was still changing on the gps).

-The bearing remained exactly the same on the compass page.

I have had something similar happen twice with my Oregon 300, except that I did not enter a tunnel. I was out in the open

I was driving down a freeway with auto routing active. At some point, the GPS became confused and showed my position 30 or 40 km from where I actually was. It continued to auto navigate but obviously incorrectly. When I stopped, the GPS continued to update my position, BUT not closer to my actual position. In my case, I was just north of Toronto but the GPS continued to take me south across Lake Ontario into New York State. I left the GPS on at home for a half hour and it continued to move away even though it was stationary. The track log, which I did not keep, simply showed a single straight line from the point it got messed up to the current position.

A power cycle fixed it.

I have had something similar happen twice with my Oregon 300, except that I did not enter a tunnel. I was out in the open

I was driving down a freeway with auto routing active. At some point, the GPS became confused and showed my position 30 or 40 km from where I actually was. It continued to auto navigate but obviously incorrectly. When I stopped, the GPS continued to update my position, BUT not closer to my actual position. In my case, I was just north of Toronto but the GPS continued to take me south across Lake Ontario into New York State. I left the GPS on at home for a half hour and it continued to move away even though it was stationary. The track log, which I did not keep, simply showed a single straight line from the point it got messed up to the current position.

A power cycle fixed it.

Did this happen with 2.6/2.55 or a different verison of the software?

There does seem to be some sort of problem with the unit reacquiring satellites.

I had mine in the dash mount and it was working fine, the satellite signal was really strong in this area. We stopped to go into Best Buy, so I put the unit into my carry pouch, I just left it turned on.

When I came back out I put it back into the mount and waited for it to get back on track. But it didn't, it just sat there. Some of the satellite icons were flashing and there were a couple of short hollow bars, but that's all that happened.

I waited a few minutes and then powered down. When I turned it back on the satellites showed up within seconds. It worked fine all the way home.

Everything is up to date.