Whats your favorite fixed blade knife/BFK for backpacking?

Trevuuuur1993

So like me to bring a knife to a gun fight...wait this thread was supposed to BE about knives. Silly me!

Anyhow, the only knife I own that qualifies even remotely as a BFK is a pre-war (WW2) German hunting knife (the blade is maybe 4-1/2 inches long). You can get an amazing edge on it, but it dulls in a hurry. That one stays home umless I am trying to impress someone.

No jungles up here in Wisconsin, so no need for machetes and knifes that appear to be making up for their owner's shortcomings.

Actually, my Leatherman is my go-to knife -- the knife blade is crazy sharp (had a razor sharp edge right out of the box and has held it -- I will rue the day it needs to be sharpened, because you know that steel is pretty tough!), and is pretty decent size. It isn't very photogenic.

Rather have a small sharp knife that i can fold up and drop in my pocket, than some monster flopping along on my belt loop the whole hike.

So like me to bring a knife to a gun fight...wait this thread was supposed to BE about knives. Silly me!

Anyhow, the only knife I own that qualifies even remotely as a BFK is a pre-war (WW2) German hunting knife (the blade is maybe 4-1/2 inches long). You can get an amazing edge on it, but it dulls in a hurry. That one stays home umless I am trying to impress someone.

No jungles up here in Wisconsin, so no need for machetes and knifes that appear to be making up for their owner's shortcomings.

Actually, my Leatherman is my go-to knife -- the knife blade is crazy sharp (had a razor sharp edge right out of the box and has held it -- I will rue the day it needs to be sharpened, because you know that steel is pretty tough!), and is pretty decent size. It isn't very photogenic.

Rather have a small sharp knife that i can fold up and drop in my pocket, than some monster flopping along on my belt loop the whole hike.

So do you think you could cut saplings with your Leatherman, you know, to build an emergency shelter? Most folding knives are flimsy, and easily break when used for anything other than simple cuts.

Edited by Kit Fox

So do you think you could cut saplings with your Leatherman, you know, to build an emergency shelter? Most folding knives are flimsy, and easily break when used for anything other than simple cuts.

Yes I could.

It has a very sharp saw blade on it also. I could cut a sapling about 2" in diameter. Large enough to make into a spear for the larger knife I also carry. it also has screwdriver blades file blade with diamond file to sharpen my other knife. It also has pliers to tighten anything that may have a nut on it.

The larger knife is for splitting wood into smaller pieces for a fire or pounding in tent pegs with the full tang. I usually carry a small knife and a bigger one (kabar).

I took a wilderness survival class and one of the exercises involved breaking us into teams to build shelters. Each team found more than enough materials on the ground to build a shelter. No need to chop down saplings. The only time we need a knife was to cut the string we used to lash stuff together.

I took a wilderness survival class and one of the exercises involved breaking us into teams to build shelters. Each team found more than enough materials on the ground to build a shelter. No need to chop down saplings. The only time we need a knife was to cut the string we used to lash stuff together.

In the northern winter, when snow covers the ground, you might have to cut branches from living trees. When I hiked and x-c skied up there I always carried something that would cut small branches. YMMV.

Jim

In the northern winter, when snow covers the ground, you might have to cut branches from living trees. When I hiked and x-c skied up there I always carried something that would cut small branches. YMMV.

Jim

I was going to say something about "Leave no trace" but I changed my mind. ;)

Just my 2 cents worth but, I've always had amazing luck with Cold Steel knives. I like their philosophy on folding knives. In particular the strength of the locks. They are the only folding knives that I would consider using the same as a fixed blade with a full tang. Anything less and you are asking for lock failure which can cost a finger or two if you keep your knives sharpened. I recently replaced my 15 year old ElHombre 4 inch folding knife(no longer made) with a clip point Recon 1 http://www.coldsteel.com/recon-i.html . I replaced it not as a necessity as the ElHombre still holds an edge better than most expensive new knives that I've tried out. I have used it daily from everything from a screw driver, lever arm, cutting 0 gauge wire, ets. It is just time to let my old friend rest. He deserves it.

For an upcoming hiking trip out in Colorado I have also added to my pack a Double Agent II http://www.coldsteel.com/doubleagent.html and for any larger work will probably be carrying my Trench hawk http://www.coldsteel.com/trench-hawk.html mounted on my pack as well. Granted I have no intention of using any of these for any real work. But I also don't plan on using the first aid/survival kit either and I'm still going to lug that with me as well.

Love how this thread turned to firearms before turning back on topic.

Unfortunately I don't have makes or models of the two fixed blade knives I carry. They where both given to me by my grandfather.

The first is a ~5" steel hunting knife with a wooden handle (estimating mid 50's). The long blade workhorse is an 18" machete with a leather wrapped wooden handle (moose hide maybe).

I have tried to retire these two and move onto some new ones, but always go back.

As for the guns, handguns are illegal here. We also have no need to be armed while Geocaching or hiking. Knives are considered a tool for work (cutting stuff, not people), and I hope it stays that way.