Whats your favorite fixed blade knife/BFK for backpacking?

Trevuuuur1993

Planning a section hike for april 2008

Looking for a nice BFK (Big F**king Knife)

Fixed blade

what do you use?

:laughing: thanks

I use a 4" lightweight $12 high carbon steel Mora when camping. It's not big. It's not F*****g.

But it's sharp and it works.

I don't need to compensate for anything or makebelieve I'm a croc hunter. :laughing:

Planning a section hike for april 2008

Looking for a nice BFK (Big F**king Knife)

Fixed blade

what do you use?

:laughing: thanks

I use a 4" lightweight $12 high carbon Mora when camping. It's not big. It's not F*****g.

But it's sharp and it works.

I don't need to compensate for anything or makebelieve I'm a croc hunter. :laughing:

BTW, it's already well past April 2008. How was your hike?

Previous Knife Selection Thread.

As big as i'll go is my Gerber LMF II Survival version. My only gripe is the size of the serrated portion of the blade. Any knife owner worth his salt can keep his blade sharp enough to have no need for serrations. I'm looking at buying the Mora as a bushcraft knife.

I use the same knife, might seem a bit heavy and over the top to some but I find when I need a knife often small ones wont due.

Rat Cutlery. 3". 4". 6"... soon to be joined by a 5". If you need something bigger than 6" you should be looking at a machette or a hatchet.

Great value & warranty for the money. Full tang construction, almost indestructible micarta handle slabs, and a very versatile sheath system. Very utilitarian and fully field-tested. Coated 1095 blade steel very easy to keep a good edge on, but must be taken care of because it is carbon, not stainless.

RAT Cutlery Company

I have an original RAT-3 by the Ontario Knife Company zip-tied on my day pack. The RAT Cutlery knives are superior, (but more pricey), than the Ontario blades.

I have a Martiini Adventurer, which I bought from the factory nearly 20 years ago. Google Martiini in Finland for an interesting story and history. My partner at the time bought a purse knife from another factory in Romenevi which was hand forged iron in a birchwood sheath - a true work of art. If anyone who appreciates excellent workmanship in cutlery is reading this, mark Finnish Lapland for a visit.

here's mine... i believe that it's over 65 yrs. old.

woodmanspal_12-15-08_1013.jpg

got a pretty good ebay deal $62.21 delivered. lol!!! i then proceeded to cut myself while getting familiar with the quick draw and resheathing of the machette upon arrival. its got very little pitting considering its advanced years and though i plan to baby it a little, this one is definitely meant to be used.

the high carbon steel construction center layer of these old knives were the secret to their construction, the "softer" outer layers were primarily there to protect this more brittle sharper layer within.

Gawd :laughing: ...why would you want/need to carry anything that meets your definition? I'v hiked/backpacked for years and have never needed anthing of the sort.

In the old days, a Buck Folding Hunter worked, but it too was too heavy. Now I just carry a good old Boy Scout pocket knife, and it works just fine.

As far as big knives, if you want something you can keep really sharp, go with a carbon steel blade. You do have to keep it oiled to prevent rusting though. Stainless holds up better in a wet environment, but the thicker blades are harder to sharpen and don't hold an edge as well.

If you go with a larger knife, you will limit your carrying possibilities. I prefer having it attached upside down on my right pack / LBE shoulder strap, versus on my belt, so it can be drawn quickly with either hand, without fumbling around.

The old Ka-Bar military knives and their copies are pretty durable, and many come with a sharpening stone in a pouch on the sheath. The fancier (read newer design) knives typically have a polymer sheath and retain the knife without a strap.

As suggested, a Woodman's Pal is a great tool and replaces a large knife / machete and a hatchet. Just pack a good pocket knife for the fine work and you are all set.

I too carry a Mora. They are cheap, well made, easy to sharpen, and, well, all around handy. They dont have that Rambo look; which, honestly, is more for looks than function. My Mora costs $12; I've had it for a few years, and love it. I purchased a handmade leather sheath for it, with a firesteel loophole. The sheath costs more than the knoife itself! But, I would DEFINITELY suggest a Mora as a fixed blade.

The carbon steel does rust; I was given a little tip though; saturate the blade with white vinegar; it will blue it, and protect it somewhat from the elements. I have done this, and need to do it again soon. The end result may not be particularly pleasing to the eye, but, her, function over fashion!

As far as big knives, if you want something you can keep really sharp, go with a carbon steel blade. You do have to keep it oiled to prevent rusting though. Stainless holds up better in a wet environment, but the thicker blades are harder to sharpen and don't hold an edge as well.

If you go with a larger knife, you will limit your carrying possibilities. I prefer having it attached upside down on my right pack / LBE shoulder strap, versus on my belt, so it can be drawn quickly with either hand, without fumbling around.

That is how I carry my knife.

Like this?

7d6128c4-295a-4798-a253-2de3102c9612.jpg

The only thing precluding me from carrying my .357, is finding some lead free ammo. My favorite hiking spots are located in California's new lead free zone :blink::)

I did a quick Google and it looks like if you reload you can buy lead-free bullets. Not sure if you need special dies or what, but it might be easier than trying to find the ammo. Hmm... wait a sec... Looks like Cor-Bon makes some lead-free .357 and Midway USA is selling it.

Cor-Bon Lead-Free .357 Ammo

Edited by qlenfg

The only thing precluding me from carrying my .357, is finding some lead free ammo. My favorite hiking spots are located in California's new lead free zone :blink::D

I did a quick Google and it looks like if you reload you can buy lead-free bullets. Not sure if you need special dies or what, but it might be easier than trying to find the ammo. Hmm... wait a sec... Looks like Cor-Bon makes some lead-free .357 and Midway USA is selling it.

I found these, but the $10.00 shipping makes the rounds $2.12 each :)

The only thing precluding me from carrying my .357, is finding some lead free ammo. My favorite hiking spots are located in California's new lead free zone :blink::)

What make-model .357 would that be? I'm looking for something portable. I'm less concerned about what I'll find in the wild than what I might encounter in the parking lot these days. I definitely prefer double-action wheelguns too.

Jim

When caching/hiking in New Jersey or another State where carry laws are restricted, I carry a Cold Steel Trailmaster or a Magnum Tanto. Have a wicked little Al Mar folder as backup.

However, most tasks while on hike are performed with a leatherman TTi.

Slidegear's option has a lot of merit...

Woodman's Pal's are perfect for most camp chores and would also make a formidable protection tool.

Seen the same as an axe, would not have the passive folks in a frenzy.

Cache safe.

The only thing precluding me from carrying my .357, is finding some lead free ammo. My favorite hiking spots are located in California's new lead free zone :D:santa:

I found these, but the $10.00 shipping makes the rounds $2.12 each :laughing:

Well, it sucks to live in CA.

Since this is gonna be a carry round and its in a revolver, its not like you have to waste a whole box to make sure its gonna feed. You might as well enjoy being able to carry until it gets banned as well.

The only thing precluding me from carrying my .357, is finding some lead free ammo. My favorite hiking spots are located in California's new lead free zone :D:laughing:

What make-model .357 would that be? I'm looking for something portable. I'm less concerned about what I'll find in the wild than what I might encounter in the parking lot these days. I definitely prefer double-action wheelguns too.

Jim

If you just want simple, reliable urban protection, a Taurus 650 CIA model fits the bill. Double-action only, hammerless and doesn't rip your hands up shooting full .357 loads. Can be found much cheaper than MSRP at the gun shows.

Edited by qlenfg

The only thing precluding me from carrying my .357, is finding some lead free ammo. My favorite hiking spots are located in California's new lead free zone :D:laughing:

Jim

Ruger GP100 4"

What make-model .357 would that be? I'm looking for something portable.

Ruger GP100 4"

Thanks. That's a good revolver, but here in South Florida it's hard to conceal most of the year. Same problem with a S&W M19 4", which has a smaller frame. About all that works is a belt pack and one big enough to hold a 4", 6-shot gets in the way. Wish I could find a 2" M19. I was looking at the little S&Ws, hadn't seen that Taurus. Been a while since I went shopping. My pref would be a 686, but that would get old in a hurry. I think the Taurus is going to win. The small grip has pros and cons but my hands aren't so big it would be a problem.

We're starting to have problems with break-ins in park parking areas here in FL. State's cutting back, so fewer employees around. Found a guy eyeballing my car at a semi-remote park (Allapattah Flats) nearby last month. There was nothing visible inside, but when he drove out behind me I figured he wasn't simply admiring the paint. Somebody needs to puncture one of these punks, pour encourager les autres.

Jim

Is this portable and stainless enough? I carry it packed to the gills with 300gr hardcast (lead). There's no drama here about lead or carrying openly.

Oh, yeah, that would do it! Didn't see the larger photo first time. Looks a little like my old Astra Terminator .44 Mag, but it was blued. Actually, a 5-shot shrouded-hammer .357 would probably suit my purposes, but always nice to look at hardware.

Jim

Edited by Geo_Bird

Shiney...

True, but here on the Atlantic coast, the humidity and salt content of the air is high, and blued weapons are hard to protect. We have to carry concealed, so the metal isn't visible. There could be a problem with glare off the top strap and barrel, but I'm looking for a "good-enough" sight picture, not bullseye accuracy.

Jim

Edited by Geo_Bird

That Taurus I recommended is a good shooter. On the 15-yard range I can put 50 rounds in the 9-ring or better on the standard Texas CHL target.

That'll work. I sure like shooting DA revolvers. I know the advantages of autoloaders, I'm a former NRA coach and instructor and have shot at Camp Perry. But there's an art to shooting DA that appeals to me.

Jim

I guess I have yet to find a need to carry a gun while caching. A knife I can understand for branches but I have yet to be attacked by any rabid tupperware containers. :) Seriously though, to each his or her own and it is not my intention to start a debate. :)

It's not the caching part that worries me, it's what awaits in the parking lots of some local parks. There has been an increase in crimes against persons in parks here, parks in relatively built-up areas, not remote locations. Just stopping for a coffee and donut on the way home can get you killed in South Florida these days.

4 Shot in Robbery at Florida Dunkin Donuts

Murder charges filed against 2 Dunkin' Donuts robbery suspects

These are not rational people:

Suspect in Dunkin' Donuts robberies barks like a dog at judge

An older guy like me might look like a prime target. I'm well-trained and won't go down without a fight. :rolleyes:

Jim

Edited by Geo_Bird

I was reading an 'illegal knife' discussion on another website unrelated to geocaching, and it was mentioned in Texas a 'Bowie' type knife, with the top of the blade near the tip partially sharpened, is considered illegal for normal carry, regardless if the length is under the 5.5" limit. There was an exclusion if the knife was commonly used for whatever activity the person was currently engaged in, ie hunting, fishing, etc...

Might be wise to check your state and local laws before carrying something that may get you in hot water.

One knife of interest might be the Cold Steel Bushman, which looks very durable and can be made into a spear, if need be.

... in Texas a 'Bowie' type knife, with the top of the blade near the tip partially sharpened, is considered illegal for normal carry ...

No sense of history!

I prefer firearms for self defense, but I sometimes carry a small blade when I have to clear a trail:

kip12040805.jpg

Images of the trail I was clearing that day here.

Jim

... in Texas a 'Bowie' type knife, with the top of the blade near the tip partially sharpened, is considered illegal for normal carry ...

No sense of history!

I prefer firearms for self defense, but I sometimes carry a small blade when I have to clear a trail:

kip12040805.jpg

Images of the trail I was clearing that day here.

Jim

I had one of the Buck 102 models. Bought it in high school back in the late 70's -- it was about $17, which was pretty spendy back then. Now they are way pricey. Got ripped off when my car was burglarized back in the 80's.

Pretty much a pain to keep sharp, as were a lot of stainless knives produced back then. Still have one of the original Rigid folders, albeit with dog teeth imprints on the bolsters.

Like this?

7d6128c4-295a-4798-a253-2de3102c9612.jpg

Holey c****, it's my twin brother!!!! Albeit, slightly skinnier! :unsure: