iTouch Questions

TheCruisers!

Ok, I have seen many different post about Geocaching and an “I” something. So I wanted to ask a couple of questions that I and another Geocacher is asking. He has an iTouch and I want one BAD!! But he keeps telling me it will not do everything that I think it should do. So I am posting this to see if it will or not.

I am using GSAK as well and have been able to load the information for the GSAK program to a Palm Pilot. It is a little bit of a pain, but it does work.

We know that Geocaching.com has a program that will work in the iTouch. But it will only take 20 caches at a time and it not takes all the website has to offer in the way of logs and such. And the only way to be able to get any more is to stop and find a hot spot to load more. Let’s face it, when you are out caching, you don’t want to stop to find a bathroom, much less have to load the next 20 caches.

I have seen in the forums that you are able to use GSAK to export the PQ in an HTML format and then load that into the iTouch. That I think I can handle. But are you able to search for the GC code of the next cache you are looking for, or do you have to load them in alphabetical order and look for them that way?

I have seen other ways of loading the caches into the iTouch, but most have had limitations.

What I would like to be able to do is, load as many caches as the PQ will pull into the iTouch, and be able to search for them by being able to hit File>Search>type the GC code in>Go, and it find the description for me.

Ok, I have seen many different post about Geocaching and an “I” something. So I wanted to ask a couple of questions that I and another Geocacher is asking. He has an iTouch and I want one BAD!! But he keeps telling me it will not do everything that I think it should do. So I am posting this to see if it will or not.

I am using GSAK as well and have been able to load the information for the GSAK program to a Palm Pilot. It is a little bit of a pain, but it does work.

We know that Geocaching.com has a program that will work in the iTouch. But it will only take 20 caches at a time and it not takes all the website has to offer in the way of logs and such. And the only way to be able to get any more is to stop and find a hot spot to load more. Let’s face it, when you are out caching, you don’t want to stop to find a bathroom, much less have to load the next 20 caches.

I have seen in the forums that you are able to use GSAK to export the PQ in an HTML format and then load that into the iTouch. That I think I can handle. But are you able to search for the GC code of the next cache you are looking for, or do you have to load them in alphabetical order and look for them that way?

I have seen other ways of loading the caches into the iTouch, but most have had limitations.

What I would like to be able to do is, load as many caches as the PQ will pull into the iTouch, and be able to search for them by being able to hit File>Search>type the GC code in>Go, and it find the description for me.

You're asking the ipod Touch to do a lot of stuff it isnt really designed for. That being said:

The geocaching app for the iphone (which works for the touch) is dependant on either a wi-fi or cell data network to get caches. Caches can be saved into the database, but you have to save EACH ONE individually. It doesnt download a bunch of them like you can to a palm device.

You could, theoretically, plan your caching day out while at a wifi spot, and only save the ones you know you are going to look for.

There are a number of workarounds for the touch, namely through the use of emails. You could copy/paste the description and hints into a word document, and email it to yourself on the touch. That way once you get the email, its all there. There's an app called "files lite" for free - which will let you treat your touch or iphone like a flash drive, and store up to 200 mb of data. Anything the touch/phone would normally read can be stored and opened in "files lite". It will read PDF files, word documents, and I think excel files, along with JPGs, mp4 movies, etc.

You could make screenshots of the geocache web pages and save them as jpgs and store in "files lite".

Dont get stuck thinking there is only one way to do anything. Just because theres only one app, doesnt mean youre limited.