Recycling tracking numbers

larry739

Has anyone ever thought about recycling tracking numbers on geocoins? I mean there are lots of them that go missing and are never found again. I mean like two or three years and definite lost situations that mean the coin was for sure lost and not just sitting in someone's knapsack.

What if you minted some new coins with blank spots on them for the tracking numbers and then had them engraved with the old tracking number from the geocoin that was lost?

Assuming it was the same or very very similar kind of coin, what difference would it make?

Yes, they are called "proxy" or "copy" coins. A substitute for the real thing, a copy, but not a reminting. If the real coin ever does show up, the proxy should be called in so there aren't two trackables with the same number roaming around. If you search proxy in these forums, there are a few threads about them, and how people feel about finding them.

I actually found one today while I was out that was a 4" diameter plywood circle with a photocopy of the original geocoin laminated on it. TB17WZG for a photo of it. In this case the original is in the owner's collection and he just released the proxy. It is much different than actually minting another coin just like the original or similar to it and engraving the numbers on it.

I can not even imagine how many coins you have missing Larry.

haha I have no idea myself. But I keep putting them out. Have you heard about Caching Karma?

My overriding philosophy is to acquire Positive Caching Karma. I have tried to place enough caches so that the number of finds on my caches is at least as great as the number of finds I have made on other people's caches. My PCK is over 3.5. There have been 3.5 times as many finds on my caches by others as I have made on other people's caches.

The same kind of holds true with trackables. I have 1700 activated trackables I own, most of which are out in the wild. I have found or discovered 1153. So not even counting number of logs on my trackables, which would be over 20,000, my Trackable Karma is over 1.5.

In the final cache accounting these are the only numbers that really mean anything. It's a measure of the joy you bring into the lives of others. ;)

1700 trackables most in the wild, Do you get messages sent to you when they get moved or logged or is that turned off. That is one email generating machine to have 1700 coins. I also know who to talk to if i need a couple of dead numbers.

yes. I get many emails about the movement of the coins. It is the source of endless enjoyment. It can get out of hand if I am not around a computer for a couple of days.

Has anyone ever thought about recycling tracking numbers on geocoins? I mean there are lots of them that go missing and are never found again. I mean like two or three years and definite lost situations that mean the coin was for sure lost and not just sitting in someone's knapsack.

What if you minted some new coins with blank spots on them for the tracking numbers and then had them engraved with the old tracking number from the geocoin that was lost?

Assuming it was the same or very very similar kind of coin, what difference would it make?

I think this is a great idea.

I can not believe how many trackables you have released.

I have over 70 out there and it seems like nothing compared to yours.

I have found some copy's that were not done well and it would be nice to see a coin used for replacements.