What hooked you?

JABs

The connection to other folks that "get" this hobby.

I enjoy coins from places I have been, places I want to go, and especially from people I meet or that I feel I *know* from the forums and such. Most of my real-world friends and family don't really understand caching and aren't all that interested in my hobbies (I collect comics, stamps, and little die-cast planes). Here - folks do understand the hobby and having a little memento that I can leave behind or give to someone is fun! So it's like a secret world of adventure! My "calling cards" are the coins I place in caches.

I've also bought and received them as well - so it's fun to look back and remember the person/event/place that they commemorate. (I'm a big fan of personal coins - especially from face-to-face and forum folks).

Good afternoon JABs, and all you Aussie's on the other side.

I guess it's because they look like money and have some value.

I particularly like the idea that it represents someone else who enjoys doing something that I like to do - geocaching!

Then some of us, like me, are just little packrats and like little shiny things.

And I get to talk to people far away !!

G'day, mate.

it is a beautiful way that conect people.

every coin is make with her own reason and there is a story behind every coin where someone can find him/her self in.

it is a beautiful way to find people that has the same hobby as you.

some coins i keep because they have a special meaning for me or they are given by people that i respect and love.

other coins i let travel and that coins give me great story`s and some let me see great place`s of where the coin is and that way i meet lovely people and see beautiful places.

this is why i`m hooked :shocked:

Being a graphic designer the artwork was a major draw for me.

From basic 2-D designs to full blown 3-D to spinners to suncatchers to ... on & on!

Since I design quite a few of them, I keep at least one of everything I design to put in my portfolio. (Currently a backpack! :shocked: )

One day I'll get around to taking pics of them and posting them on my website. (That currently has nothing on it. :anicute: )

When I first started into buying coins, I would try to grab everything I could afford, now the design has to really jump out and grab me or the theme of the coin has to have some special meaning to me.

The latest coin I purchased was the Fort Sumter Benchmarks coin. While the design of the coin is also very nice, the main reason I bought it was because we used to grab a weekend vacation in Charleston, SC every few years and usually made time to tour the fort. I hadn't got into Geocaching the last time we got to go about five years ago, so the next time I will have to activate one of the coins and take it with me to log into a cache around there. :D

What few I have released into the wild were some of the more simpler designs that I think won't be grabbed up by folks that would rather keep them than move them.

Of the ones I have released, my "Evil Micros" seem to move really well.

-D-

I started out geocaching three years ago.

Firstly I was thoroughly enjoying the hunt, then there was the added bonus of finding a trackable TB.

Then one day I found a US geocoin. It was different.

I went out of my way, driving much further than usual for this thing called a geocoin.

Then there were a few more.......

Then I discovered by internet searching that I could buy my own.

Then, I realised I could share with others in New Zealand. (We saw so few back then, down under)

Then I realised I could keep some and have a collection.

Then I realised I was an addict to both geocaching and geocoins.

Been out caching today, picked up some coins and TBs, and released a few more of my coins into the wild.

Home again - checked yesterday's mail. No coins, oh well..... maybe time to place an order.... (no I won't - the exchange rate's not in my favour, :shocked: Yes I will :anicute: No, I won't :D Yes I will......)

Being a graphic designer the artwork was a major draw for me.

Ditto. I'm actually not a graphic designer by trade -- I'm a Sonar Technician with a BFA in Illustration, and because of that, I've been designing challenge and personal coins left and right. I like geocoins because they're coins, and because they're different; I have come up with some challenge coin designs that have impressed people specifically because the range of craziness in geocoin designs has both been extremely inspiring and has also helped me understand what all one can do.

When I see an interesting coin, I can't help but buy one, which means that I pretty much buy most of them -- within limits, as I am not a rich person (dang it!). The first coin that got me started was the Pathtag Sherpa -- then I traded a non-trackable coin for one of Mike's Morpho Butterflies, and then it was all over. ;)

I found one in a cache and thought it was very neat. Then I joined one of those coin clubs. I released every single coin I got except for one. Last Christmas I was given a coin, Route 66, and just could not release it. At the time, I did not know you could keep em. Thought all had to be released. The next day I got my very first AGT coin and from there it exploded. I had to have all kinds of coins.

The first geocoin I ever found in the wild was a USA geocoin. Plain brass, relatively simple design. I carried that thing around in my pocket for several days and pulled it out and played with it at work before finally (*sigh, not mine...* :anicute: ) placed it in a cache (where it promptly was stolen by someone... :shocked: ).

Then I found this forum, asked where I could buy some of 'em for myself. And the friendly folk here were ever so helpful and directed me to my first geocoin store web site. :( Thus began my awful obsession. :D Spent waaaay too much on the e-place before finding other web stores then waaaay too much money in them! Released a bunch of coins; kept most of 'em (too purty to risk). Had my own made with the help of a talented artist and a generous coin store. I'd like to make another but have been struggling so much with another design for our local organization that I'm not sure if I will or if I do, when.

Currently I'm trimming down my collection - just too many coins to enjoy properly. I will keep buying & collecting but I will be offering more for sale and trade soon.

And then there are the other little round collectable thingies I've become interested in..... :D

CF30

In my early days of geocaching I used to scour the thrift shops and doodad shops for interesting swag to drop off in caches. I loved reading logs of folks who found neat stuff and shared their thrill and excitement. Geocoins became an extention of that.

As the thrill and excitement wanes and is replaced with shrill and entitlement I keep all my coins and am really reluctanct to release any more.

Found my first geocoin in Rimini Snowflake cache and here is the pic I took of it; 8 Nations Geocoin. It was all down hill from there. That coin is still one of my favorite designs.

I admit I have a hard time releasing coins I buy cause they are so spendy and I hate it when they get stolen. So I now release my own designs, unactivated in caches so I don't have to worry about it :shocked:

I keep some because of the meaning behind them to me or maybe they were gifts and face-to-face trades. Others, the newness wears off and I trade them away or sell them here and there.

Have fun if you start collecting; your tastes and reasons for keeping/trading/buying/selling will change as you stay with the hobby.

tsun

73b3ddc1-6a2b-4803-a30e-6a81e074c62b.jpg

Edited by tsunrisebey

Finding my first coin a beautifull penguin coin made my smile. Such a beautifull, shiny and colorfull thing!

This is the first one i found:

ballonandcoin.jpg

And then realising what a distance some of them have travelled.

The first 3 coins I adopted, i kept one and the others I 've send immediately on their journey.

Then i Started buying them and alrady gave a lot of them away to friends who also started with geocaching.

By now, i do not send all the coins on a journey. Realizing how difficult it can be to get your hands on certain designs i'm now keeping some of them in my personal collection on my desk.

Also enjoy trading them and participate in missions with other people who love coins.

I have orderd my own pathtag and it will only be a matter if time before my coin will come. :shocked:

The first few coins I found sparked my interest. In part from seeing where they had traveled but also because so many of them are truly works of Art.

As for collecting - with some coins it is because they are such beautiful pieces. Also, there is the bit of a connection with other people. I still love to watch coins travel, but I also love to look at some of the coins and marvel at the beauty of them :shocked:

The first coin I found in the wild was Crakes' Symbology coin. I had only been to 3 or so other caches before and had just figured out how to watch for new caches when one popped up nearby. Being newbies, my son and I rushed out of the house before reading the whole cache page and spent the next half hour looking for it. Then I left him there, rushed home to read the description and hint and rushed back to the cache. He had given up but was 'standing guard'. Looking back, it was in the most obvious place and pretty embarassing that it took so long to find.

So, a long story short a beautiful coin in our first FTF. I put a watch on that coin to see where it went and was amazed and coin-struck...

I think for me it was that it took so long to find one in my area. Then my wife, who doesn't really "get" the excitement of geocaching, bought me a three Gecko set from Landsharkz for Christmas and I think I was hooked from there. I like the weight and feel in my hand, love the different finishes, and of course all the different colors and designs.

What got me hooked is that my friends at work are doing it and we get to go out caching as a group and have a good time finding the cache. It's an accomplishment to find a micro that has eluded me for weeks and then go back and there it is stareing you in the face. You feel like a idiot for not finding it sooner. But in the end its a relief. The hobby has been a blast I look forward to many years of caching.

my first geocoin,,kingfisher gold and bronze,,wanted to get one for keeps but they are for travel only;( beautiful coin,,it took me a month or two to let it go,,still wish i could have one ,,that is my most desired coin on the face of the planet,,and i cant have it!!!aaahh but i was hooked,,plus i like the forums here and like the peps!!! I think certain designs apeal to some and not to others,,but those few coins that apeal to everyone are usually intricate designs or serve a gr8 purpose,,like write shop robs new bike coins!!! :laughing:

Chris from Team Shydog gave me my first coin knowing I didn't have any and didn't ask for any in return. That started me down the road to coin collecting. I've met some very nice and very interesting people in the last three years of geocaching/ coin collecting. Because of Chris' kindness I too have given coins to 'newbies' with no thoughts of ever getting one back. In doing so I have made some great friends and am glad I started collecting the coins.

I have always liked the non-trackable, personal coins better over the trackables just because it seems people put more of themselves into them then the trackables.

Edited by 501_Gang

oh it's like caching - its the HUNT. Started with looking for a traveling viking and then a stellarscapes - years to hunt that one down! Most memorable hunts - the Wishing coin - you just WISH amazing.

I will go to eplace auction for a coin i can't HUNT any other way - i know it's like using a grenade to fish but there you go. I am useless at fishing :laughing:

I adored hunting down 2ys4u's coin just from an icon and helping him sell his surpluses; cursed not having the funds to buy the AZTraveller when i hunted it down ...... lost the desire for a bouncy bunny when i found it and didn't buy - lots left if anyone wants an older coin which is all about puzzle caches ..... when I can't hunt to keep I hunt info and pin the trophy photo on the wiki :laughing:

Hi there,

I'm new at this and found my very first coin today. I LOVE IT! I think I might be hooked already! I will send it on its merry way in the next week or two, but I see by your posts that you can keep them? But do you mean you buy them and keep them? You can't just find a coin in a cache and keep it, right? I've already been looking online at all the beautiful coins you can buy.

Thanks for your help, I'm just still trying to figure everything out here. :laughing:

I started out geocaching three years ago.

Firstly I was thoroughly enjoying the hunt, then there was the added bonus of finding a trackable TB.

Then one day I found a US geocoin. It was different.

I went out of my way, driving much further than usual for this thing called a geocoin.

Then there were a few more.......

Then I discovered by internet searching that I could buy my own.

Then, I realised I could share with others in New Zealand. (We saw so few back then, down under)

Then I realised I could keep some and have a collection.

Then I realised I was an addict to both geocaching and geocoins.

Add a year and drop NZ (I haven't been there yet) any you pretty much have my story exactly! The interesting icons were / are an added bonus.

I think I'm starting to rein in my addiction, though some months it's a bit harder to control.

I originally bought with the intent or releasing (I've released over 400 as travelers) but ended up unwilling to part with some. They were just too pretty or meaningful, or I hated the thought of it going missing. I still get discouraged when I sit down to mark coins as missing. But, it's cool to see where an how some of them have travelled and I get an especially good feeling when one finds its way back into circulation from the void.