Four State Cache Adventure (LA/MS/AL/FL)

BBWolf+3Pigs

Greeting from New England!

Several of us Yankees (4-6) will be flying into New Orleans the first weekend of February, with the intent of caching and eating our way to Pensacola, and then back to N.O. We have a little over 48 hours between landing and take-off.

Our basic plan (we are flexible) is:

Sat, 7 Feb

1200 - Land in New Orleans

1300 - Lunch in NO

After lunch we cache locally in NO

After caching we eat dinner in NO

After dinner maybe cache some more

- If someone wants to host an event for us to meet the locals that would be cool! Or we could just arrange for a spot to meet and drink

Overnight in NO

Sun, 8 Feb

Breakfast either in NO or on the road

(Personally I'd like to drive over the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, but is not necessary)

Once near Slidell head East into Mississippi, caching as we go (one team member requested we stay off the highway and travel along the coast - is the Bay St. Louis Bridge open?)

Have lunch in Ocean Springs at "The Shed" (mmmm...BBQ!)

Continue heading east and caching through into Alabama, and eventually into Florida.

Stop in/near Pensacola for dinner and overnighting.

Mon, 9 Feb

Breakfast

Start heading west, possibly through Fair Hope, AL

Possibly detour to Dauphin Island (if it's worth the extra 1.5-2 hours)

Stop for lunch along the way, and caching as time permits

Maybe a quick bite (beignets anyone?) in NO before have to hop on the plane (need to be at the airport by 2:30-3:00)

Since we would have cached in each of the states on the way East, we'd be a little more flexible for detours, etc on the way back to NO.

I have started a bookmark list based on where we were planning on heading, past logs, and recommendations here in the forums. Any suggestions are gladly welcomed. We are not looking for a numbers run, but are looking for neat caches - cool views, neat hides, etc. Since we are time limited no long walks in the woods, please! We are looking for caches that the locals are proud of, and ones we'll be talking about at the next Rhode Island event!

As the Topic Description says, we are also looking for food recommendations. Since we will need to be flexible in where we stop for meals, any place along the route would be a welcome suggestion. We are all foodies, and will eat/try just about anything. Local joints are preferred (we can eat at a Chili's anywhere!). Some places we've already had recommended are below. Some of the NO spots were recommended by a local who used to live in NO, and others were already sampled by one of our group.

Lastly, if anyone wants to meet and eat with us, let me know. We'd love to meet the locals as we drive on through!

New Orleans:

Frank And Johnny's

Praline Connection

Mother's

Camelia Grill

Domilise's Po-Boys

Central Grocery

Tujaques

Cafe du Monde for beignets

Mississippi:

The Shed

Alabama:

The Brick Pit in Mobile

Wintzell's Oyster House in Mobile

Burris Farm Market near Daphne

Panini Pete's (Fairhope)

Pensacola, FL:

Peg Leg Pete's

The Coffee Cup

Skopelos

So, any help would be greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to the trip - to add a few states to our lists, and to sample the local food!

Thanks in advance!

You absolutely have to stop off in Foley, AL and go to Lambert's. The food is probably the best you've ever had and the atmosphere inside is a blast, especially getting them to throw you rolls across the dining area. It's quite an experience and one you'll definitely remember. It's not too much of a minor detour on your way to Pensacola. Make sure to try all the free sides they will bring to your table.

I'm from Louisiana, and know good eating...........and believe me, Lambert's is GREAT eating. :laughing:

Here is their website:

http://www.throwedrolls.com/

Edited by LSUFan

I will second LSUFan, Lambert's is a MUST.

Treat it like a medical procedure, don't eat any thing for at least 12 hours prior to going, so that you will have plenty of room!!

Before/after The Shed make sure and hit The Wilson House Travel Bug Inn, it is a great cache.

There are a lot of friendly cachers on the MS coast, and one or two in LA :laughing: , I am sure someone down there would meet up with you for a cache run, you may want to try msga.net, join up and post your plans, someone will chime in and welcome you.

Don't let the crowds at Lambert's discourage you. They have huge dining areas, and you usually won't have to wait too long to get seated. It is worth the wait. They seat parties of 20-50 on a regular basis. When the rolls start flying, you have to make yourself be seen/heard to get em, so make sure to draw attention to yourselves. That's also a lot of the fun.

I also see where you have "View Carre" cache on your list. That's a great one in New Orleans.

Edited by LSUFan

I would definitely look for this one in the Bay St Louis Area...

Tercentenary

Fortunately, this statue survived the damage from Katrina and I was the first to log this virtual only a couple of days after Katrina hit. Lots of rebuilding has taken place, but there is still a lot of damage in the area.

I was back in the area several months ago, and the Bay Bridge is open.

Lots of other neat caches in the Bay St Louis area, but the above cache is a must do.

Nice selection of restaurants, but I've heard that Tujaques Tujuages is pretty tourist ridden and not so good. I would replace that stop with Jacque-Imo's or Dick and Jennys unless you are limiting your travels to the French Quarter.

NOLA must do caches include View Carre, Menu Venue, From Distant Shores (for the view), and Voodoo Queen.

Edited by wimseyguy

Nice selection of restaurants, but I've heard that Tujaques Tujuages is pretty tourist ridden and not so good. I would replace that stop with Jacque-Imo's or Dick and Jennys unless you are limiting your travels to the French Quarter.

NOLA must do caches include View Carre, Menu Venue, From Distant Shores (for the view), and Voodoo Queen.

had two of those on my list already and have added the other two. We will make a note of the restaurants. No, we are not necessarily limited ourselves to the French Quarter.

Thanks for the suggestions.

In case you didn't know, the Causeway is free if you drive north- you only pay the toll if you go southbound. Once you get to the Mandeville side, immediately exit to the right and stop for Mystery of the Holy Grail, Prisoner in the Cage of Death, and Angel&Richie's LetterBox on your way to I-12. Two of those three are guaranteed to be some of the most unique cache containers you've ever seen.

Edited by DavidMac

In case you didn't know, the Causeway is free if you drive north- you only pay the toll if you go southbound. Once you get to the Mandeville side, immediately exit to the right and stop for Mystery of the Holy Grail, Prisoner in the Cage of Death, and Angel&Richie's LetterBox on your way to I-12. Two of those three are guaranteed to be some of the most unique cache containers you've ever seen.

Thanks for the tip on the causeway. I have added the caches to my bookmark list. That puzzle cache looks complicated. :laughing:

Man, kudos to you for actually planning out your vacations this far in advance!

I'm not sure what your route looks like, I didn't really read over everything....but if you are traveling on Interstate 65 in Alabama, then a MUST FIND cache is XL Travel Bug Exchange

VERY COOL CACHE!

If we don't plan this far out in advance, we'd just be driving around, with no real focus. I want to make sure we hit some real nice caches. The cache you reference is too far north. We're staying near the coast.

Umm sure-

Cochon is supposed to be amazing too, but I haven't eaten there yet. Yelp.com is a great website for dining on the road recommendations. Chowhound.com is another good one. Edited by wimseyguy

Hope all of you enjoy your trip down here along the gulf coast. Yes both bridges along the beach (Bay St. Louis) and the (Biloxi) bridge are 100% opened and operational. However there is major road construction along Hwy 90 in Biloxi. The MDOT says they're expected to be done with it some time in January so it might be done before you get here. If not, there is only one lane opened on each side (east and west) while they work on the other lanes. Honestly though that shouldn't matter because you're going to want to drive slow along the beach.

Make sure you do take the beach and not I-10 through Biloxi, because in east biloxi there are several caches in one area. Oh great choice on where you're eating on Sunday. I'm a huge SHED HEAD! I probably order either take out or eat in from there all the time.

-nexusnrg

Edited by nexusnrg

Wow you sure have done your research & are quite organized! I was just reading your list of restaurants - you must have contacts to know about some of these! The Coffee Cup for one....the best grits ever!

I'll need to go back & look at the names of the caches in Fairhope -t here's a couple of nice ones with gorgeous views.

As far as Dauphin Island that's kinda iffy. WE drove out there & found some nice caches, but it really is a LONG trek out there, its beautiful, though it pretty much looks like Pensacola Beach, Mobile Bay, its all beautiful water - but when you're on a time schedule I'm not sure you'd want to drive way out there, unless you plan to do the fort or Estuarium (expensive in my opinion).

You should go over to Pensacola Beach - Peg Leg Pete's is a great place to eat & there's a cache near there. (haven't looked for it yet - though I know where it is )

I'll keep thinking...

Wow I think I can second everything I've read here so far including Lambert's YUM!!!!!

View Carre is a MUST, do it or regret it later :) Also, if you are partial to EarthCaches Oilman has two that deal with the Levy breaks you could check out.

As far as an event at a bar, Pat O'Briens would be my pick. A hurricane in each hand.

FWIW there is a WIntzells in Spanish Fort at the Eastern Shore Center - right on the interstate & there's one in Fairhope - though it was closed for remodling - not sure if its open again.

YEP Lamberts is the wonderful tourist trap for a reason! YOu shouldn't have much of a wait this time of year.

Theres a driveby cache not far from there.

And I'm not sure you have Chick-fil-A's up there , if not you should defintely grab a bite (closed on Sundays)

Mon, 9 Feb

Breakfast

Start heading west, possibly through Fair Hope, AL

Possibly detour to Dauphin Island (if it's worth the extra 1.5-2 hours)

Stop for lunch along the way, and caching as time permits

Maybe a quick bite (beignets anyone?) in NO before have to hop on the plane (need to be at the airport by 2:30-3:00)

Well, the Yankees should be heading home today. Hope they enjoyed the caching and the food down here. Can't wait to hear how it all went. :(

The trip was a huge success. The numbers:

Days: 2.5

States: 4

Caches: 32

Great Meals: 6 (Mother's, Crescent City Brewery, Cafe Du Monde, The Shed, Lambert's, Frankie and Johnny's)

Beers: 12+ (Bubba Gump, One Eyed Jacks, Crescent City Brewery, Hooters)

Parades: 1

Strings of beads: ~12 (only had to bear my chest once!)

Miles: ~500 driving miles

Good Times: Too many to count

The trip was quite fun, and we got to see a lot of the Gulf Coast. The MArdi Gras parade was fun, and we were glad we stood around waiting for it.

Thanks to everyone's help and suggestions!