is it possible to save tracks to the maps?

Kaboomcult

I was wondering if it is possible to save track data to the map so the data is visible on the map in the gps like a road or trail and not taking up track data...

For example: I hike a trail and want to add the trails to my topo map so they can be transferred to the gps for future use. Or do they have to be kept as a log file... I only want them there for reference not to trackback by or anything.

Not sure if this make sense to anyone but me.

Jim

http://huskyhiker.com

I was wondering if it is possible to save track data to the map so the data is visible on the map in the gps like a road or trail and not taking up track data...

For example: I hike a trail and want to add the trails to my topo map so they can be transferred to the gps for future use. Or do they have to be kept as a log file... I only want them there for reference not to trackback by or anything.

Jim

Takes a bit of software, and a small learning curve, but try this post, entry #23. Instead of the track out of GE, use your track for trackmaster.

Jim

Hi Jim,

What you want to do makes a lot of sense. This fall I was planning on taking a trip to the Rockies to do a little mountain biking. This was my first time so I wanted to try some trails that are on old railroad beds because the grades are never more than 2.5%. I was able to download track files for some trails in the area I was going. I used them on Google Earth to view them for planning purposes and then used them on my Garmin eTrex Legend HCx mounted on my mountain bike to find the trailheads and follow the trails.

Without knowing what brand and model GPS receiver you are using it's pretty much impossible to give you a straight yes/no answer and tell you how to do it, if it's possible.

I have two different Garmin handhelds. It's possible to do what you want on both and it's different, but fairly easy, to do it on both. With one of them it's possible to also download tracks created by someone else and use them. With the other, you can get tracks off of it to share with someone else but can't get other tracks onto it, only tracks it has created.

I have Garmin Mobile PC on my laptop and Mobile XT on a Palm T|X. It's possible on both, the same process on both, possible to load tracks created by others onto both, but the method is different than either of the two handhelds.

...ken...

Jim

This is what the PN-40/Topo USA 7 combination does best.

In Topo 7 you right click on the downloaded track and save to a draw layer.

When you cut your map for the PN-40, these can be included (and toggled on/off as needed.)

I have over 1200 miles of trails that are derived from 110 tracklogs.

This entire network of trails can be easily viewed on the PN-20/40 or Topo 7.

I split my network into 3 "zones" that I store in separate "draw" files to make documentation and data maintenance easier.

Each draw file has many trails that can be named, color/style/width edited, deleted etc.

Another plus to the system is that if you hover the cursor over a draw layer trail on the GPS,

it will show the name of the trail.

I use Topo 7, Google Earth and various maps to plan bike rides.

I then load the planned ride onto the PN40 as a draw layer and on my 76CSx as a track log to follow.