Micro or small?

BCandMsKitty

This isn't the best picture, but you will get the idea.

I have access to a bunch of these containers and have hidden a couple but always struggle with how to classify them. Micro or small. They are bigger around than a film canister and about 6" long. Can hold coins or pins but not much else.

micro.jpg

Edited by BC & MsKitty

This isn'e the best picture, but you will get the idea.

I have access to a bunch of these containers and have hidden a couple but always struggle with how to classify them. Micro or small. They are bigger around that a film canister and about 6" long. Can hold coins or pins but not much else.

What should I call them?

Looks like a cigar tube, only ever found one used in my area for a cache and it was listed as micro.

That's what I would call on the upper end of micro. For those who can't see it, it's about the size of an M&M minis tube. It a bit smaller than a preform.

Here's a clue on how to tell the difference between a micro and a small. No trades will fit or limited to ultra micro trade items: a micro. If you can fit small trade items: small. Small was originally brought on to bridge the gap between an ammo can and a film can. About a sandwich container size.

When a container is close to the line between sizes it is best to err on the smaller size because the seeker will know to look in smaller hiding spots. A micro listed as a small also screws up a seeker in terms of the size of trades or trackables.

To me, a micro is a container that a standard travel bug tag (the old slightly smaller ones) will not fit inside.

That being said, I've seen a filed down tag with the smallest of things attached inside a film can micro once.

I made one of those, and was warned that players would lose it...They didn't...Because I lost it, before I ever dropped it into a Cache!

If I were voting, I'd say micro. But I'm not. Becuz, you know....once twenty-leven people's answered & they all give the same answer, it's kinda clear at that point, wouldn'tcha say? So, not gonna say it's a micro. But it is. A micro. Wups....make that - a micro.

But if I's votin', I'd definitely say micro. But I ain't.

But it is. Micro. All the way.

Definitely a micro.

But y'know, then again.....it might be a......

Naaaah. Micro.

~*

I vote for micro.

That'll just barley hold a normal sized geocoin, and if you were to put one in, I bet it'll interfere with being able to put the logbook back in unless you cut it down (the log book, not the coin!) significantly.

That sort of looks like a soda bottle preform, what is it?

It's an energy drink container. Very much like a preform, but heavier material and larger in diameter. Completehy waterproof and virtually indestructible. I am at work and relize I screwed up the image link. I'll fix it this evening and post another image of an uncovered one. I see I am not alone in wondering just what category it goes into. Actually, I have been publishing as a big micro :laughing: I work with a power lifter and he drinks these all the time and keeps the empties for me. The best part is a decent sized log with a full cache sheet attached.

I know the micro haters willl say "it is still just a micro" but at least it is a bit easier to find and harder to hide. :laughing:

OK I fixed the original pic, and here's one of the container without camo tape.

micro3.jpg

It is 1 1/8" inside diameter and 6 1/2" long. There is a film canister beside it for comparison. After reading all the comments I guess it really is just a "big micro". I guess I'll continue to list it that way so folks know what size cache they are looking for.

Thanks for all the comments.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

micro3.jpg

It is 1 1/8" inside diameter and 6 1/2" long. There is a film canister beside it for comparison. After reading all the comments I guess it really is just a "big micro". I guess I'll continue to list it that way so folks know what size cache they are looking for.

Now I see your dilema...If it were just a little wider, then I'd probably go with small. I do think it's always better to go with the smaller listing size if you can't decide. That can help prevent the newer players from learning that a film can is "Small" and a blinkie is "Micro"

I'd go for micro, it is long enough for a small, but the inside diameter is a little restrictive for swag and TB's. Nice thing about that one is there is room for a pencil, and a decent sized logbook.

I like that container, nice small size for hiding, but not a tiny little thing that is hard to find. I'd like to see more of those over film cans, I bet they hold up to the elements a lot better.

Yeah - that pic shows it in a lot better perspective, and I better uinderstand your dilemma. I'd be strongly tempted to think it a 'Small'; it definitely fits guidelines of being larger than a 35mm can.

But one thing's for sure - if you're gonna err, nothing wrong with erring on the safe side. Better to have 'em looking for something like a film can & finding something bigger, than looking for Tupperware & it being a nano -- IF you find it!!

Interesting container - wish I had a few. Mind disclosing what brand energy drink?

~*

micro3.jpg

dedfd64c-831b-463c-ba07-d650cb3e3bb0.jpg

Admiral Ackbar says "It's a micro!"

doubled. What is WRONG with these boards????????????????

Nothing is wrong with these boards except they may be a little show at times and posters being impatient. Click ADD REPLY only once. If the forums are taking a "long time" to acknowledge your post then click on the back button in your browser and then reload the page. Reloading the post page (without hitting the back button first) is the same as clicking on the add reply button again.

I'm going to go against the grain and vote for "Small". The cache size guidelines clearly state a Micro is a 35mm film canister or smaller. Looking at the picture, it is clear that it is longer than a film canister, it has more volume than a film canister therefore in my books it is larger than a film canister.

micro3.jpg

In light of that photo, I'd say small.

Yeah - that pic shows it in a lot better perspective, and I better uinderstand your dilemma. I'd be strongly tempted to think it a 'Small'; it definitely fits guidelines of being larger than a 35mm can.

But one thing's for sure - if you're gonna err, nothing wrong with erring on the safe side. Better to have 'em looking for something like a film can & finding something bigger, than looking for Tupperware & it being a nano -- IF you find it!!

Interesting container - wish I had a few. Mind disclosing what brand energy drink?

~*

OK .. I checked again and it isn't an energy drink, but a liquid protein

The name brand is New-Whey Liquid Protein

He gets it from some health food store. I googled it and found it online.

So it seems like I am not alone in having trouble classifying it. It is either and small "Small", or a big "micro" :laughing:

I think I will stick to calling it a large micro, because I see both sides of the slate. You certainly can't put much swag into it!

Thanks, all....!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

This isn't the best picture, but you will get the idea.

I have access to a bunch of these containers and have hidden a couple but always struggle with how to classify them. Micro or small. They are bigger around than a film canister and about 6" long. Can hold coins or pins but not much else.

I have a hide that uses a cigar tube which is about the same size as what you're showing. I listed it as a mico.

I ran across one today that was listed as small, but the one I found was a key keeper, which I would consider a micro. The ones I have run across the size of 2 film canisters in line were labelled as micro. The pictured one is longer, but still about the same diameter. But don't go by me, I am new at this.

I'm going to go against the grain and vote for "Small". The cache size guidelines clearly state a Micro is a 35mm film canister or smaller. Looking at the picture, it is clear that it is longer than a film canister, it has more volume than a film canister therefore in my books it is larger than a film canister.

Define smaller than a 35mm film canister. I give you that by length and volume it is larger than a 35mm film canister but it seems to be smaller in diameter. I guess the best two out of three rule applies here. But then that would mean a really long drinking straw would fall in to the small cache size classification.

So, what have we learned from this thread? People like making up their own guidelines. :laughing:

I am officially changing my "vote" from Small to Micro. When I made my choice the first time it was based solely upon the guidelines for a Micro. When I started considering the guideline for Small as well as Micro I ended up more confused.

I think the problem is that the guideline for "Small" isn't that well written.

"Sandwich-sized Tupperware-style container or similar -- less than approximately 1 quart or litre -- holds trade items as well as a logbook"

Whereas the guidelines for a micro are clear (35mm film canister or smaller), these guidelines use the ambiguous "or similar". The container pictured doesn't really seem to be similar to a sandwich container in any way/shape/form.

The Small guideline is also further complicated by the mentioning of swag. And, note how on a Micro it says "typically holds only a logbook" but on Small the swag is considered mandatory -- it does not say Small "typically holds trades items", it says a Small will hold trade items.

So, if you list it as a Micro it is violating the size guideline for being larger than a 35mm film canister, but if you list it as a Small it violates the guideline about being able to hold swag. I suspect this discrepancy is because Small is a size that was brought in after the fact and smashed in between Micro and Regular.

So, my conclusions:

If you list it as either a Micro or a Small you are wrong. :P Thus I guess an optimist would say that no matter which choice you make you are correct.

Adding a size to the mix after the fact causes confusion. Keep that in mind when people keep asking for "Nano" to become it's own size. Face it, if our only choice here was to list it as a Micro or a Regular I think there would be no debate whatsoever.