Geocacher Magazine status?

Doctor A

I find it interesting, no, I find it FASCINATING, that the publisher/editor of a fee-based magazine would try to cloak his identity by signing his posts with his first name and only the first initial of his last name.

I just shapeshifted and hacked into the files of the Illuminatti and the 13 petaled red and white rose and found his identity. ;)

Michael Jacobus ~ Publisher

Geocacher Magazine

550 West Plumb Ln., Suite 444

Reno, NV 89509

mike@geocachermagazine.com

I find it interesting, no, I find it FASCINATING, that the publisher/editor of a fee-based magazine would try to cloak his identity by signing his posts with his first name and only the first initial of his last name.

I just shapeshifted and hacked into the files of the Illuminatti and the 13 petaled red and white rose and found his identity. ;)

Geocacher Magazine

Reno, NV 89509

My albino associate will be knocking on your door shortly!

Merry Merry!

I subscribed to the Geocacher Magazine in Feb of this year. Since that time I have received one magazine. Last I heard they sent an email in Sep saying that things had to be changed and they would have a new issue out shortly. Have they gone out of business? Anyone know what's going on???

I merged this from a new topic into the old topic. Your info is in this topic.

Bout a month ago, I sent a email to mike asking if any other issues had been out, as I hadent recieved any others but the 1st and hadent been in the forums to check.

He was quick to respond to me personally that the magazine had been having issues, but the show was still on. I know one issue at one point from his site after the 1st issue, was the editor had to leave GC Mag...(I Think) I think if ANYTHING, Mike would have been fed up with the project and abandoned ship...I mean Theres alot of us that only got one issue and was wondering what was up, so you KNOW he got tons of email! Not only that, but just the heat of having such a daunting task is enough for some folks!!!

Hang in there Mike, We're eagerly awaiting the next issue! :)

Good evening -

Just passing through the forums to keep my word that I would not overlook the opinions posted here!

I guess I should thank the last few posters for illustrating my point as to why I hadn't been checking the forums very often. If I took the time to personally answer each incorrect or negative post, I'd have time to do nothing else.

As for the claim that I am "cloaking" my identity, please scroll up a bit to see my previous post with my full name and address ... nothing cloaked, but I love the use of the mysterious word and the reference to my sending the Illuminati.

As for the credit card guy - he was long ago refunded as was his "Gift" order and was advised that since I don't believe in un-gifting, his intended recipiant will still get all 6 issues, no charge.

For the rest who have sent supportive and excited emails about the upcoming issues, I really appreciate it and for the gal who mentioned the passing of my dad, many, many thanks. He was a great guy.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Leonardo Illuminati Da Vincci - Cloaked Publisher

Geocacher Magazine

P.S. I will check back here once in a while for any real substance, otherwise ... ideas, suggestions, questions, etc ... are always welcome via email to; mike@geocachermagazine.com

The above is wrong as I have not been issued any refund as of today. I tried to get the credit card company to give me credit back but it had been over 3 months since I had purchased the subscriptions.

I too am wondering about my suscription. I paid for it back in September and I have not seen it yet. I did however receive a responce to an email I sent about it late 2008 inquireing as to why I haven't gotten any copies yet. I was told that It takes a while to collect content to put in the articles and that I would be recieving 2 differant copies before Christmas. Here it is in January and no Geocacher Magazines. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good evening -

Just passing through the forums to keep my word that I would not overlook the opinions posted here!

I guess I should thank the last few posters for illustrating my point as to why I hadn't been checking the forums very often. If I took the time to personally answer each incorrect or negative post, I'd have time to do nothing else.

As for the claim that I am "cloaking" my identity, please scroll up a bit to see my previous post with my full name and address ... nothing cloaked, but I love the use of the mysterious word and the reference to my sending the Illuminati.

As for the credit card guy - he was long ago refunded as was his "Gift" order and was advised that since I don't believe in un-gifting, his intended recipiant will still get all 6 issues, no charge.

For the rest who have sent supportive and excited emails about the upcoming issues, I really appreciate it and for the gal who mentioned the passing of my dad, many, many thanks. He was a great guy.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Geocacher Magazine

P.S. I will check back here once in a while for any real substance, otherwise ... ideas, suggestions, questions, etc ... are always welcome via email to; mike@geocachermagazine.com

The above is wrong as I have not been issued any refund as of today. I tried to get the credit card company to give me credit back but it had been over 3 months since I had purchased the subscriptions.

It could be an innocent mistake, or maybe their "cloaked Treasurer" Bernie has your check on his desk. I hear he had a bunch ready to mail. I am sure you'll get it if he ever gets out of the slam. Just be patient. :cry:

Great News GeoMag fans!

I have finally gotten all my "ducks in a row" and the next issue will go to press sometime in January. As always, any ideas, stories, photos, etc ... is always appreciated!

Happy Holidays!

Michael J

Geocacher Magazine

So, I realize there is still one day left in the month (It's my oldest son's birthday, so it makes it easy to remember there are 31 days in this month), but I was wondering...

Which day in January did the magazine go to press?

How long after that until the issue is actually printed and sent to your customers?

Will there be extras available for single copy purchase?

The experience with this Magazine isn't a lot different than some folks have experienced lately with producers of Geocoins. Lack of delivery and/or long agonizing delays.

Just learned there may have been some family circumstances, and for that, I do understand. There has been a lot of time, however, between the first of last year (when most folks subscribed), Geowoodstock and now. Certainly time to recover and get out more than one issue.

In fact, during these months - a Facebook space was opened - and the same questions are being asked. I will be surprised if I ever get another issue. To late to ask for a refund on a credit card. Should have been more careful and certainly not given a subscription as a gift. Another lesson of life learned. I wonder how many folks are in the same boat?

I agree with you 100%

I'm sorry the magazine didn't work out but I'm not just going to eat it! :anibad: I want my money back minus the one issue I received.

I've made numerous attempts at contact, to no avail and now I'm tired of being ignored! Can anything be done?

Thanks.

{edit explanation: I had a snarky reply here, and decided I didn't want to be that way.}

I would like to see the publisher drop in again and talk realistically about the magazine instead of being glib and ignoring criticism. I think there really are a lot of people who would like to see this work, but it doesn't appear that is is ever going to happen.

> Jun 23 2007 the first mention was made of his interest in the magazine.

> By the end of the year holiday season in 2007, he was taking money for orders.

> One issue of the magazine was published in June of 2008.

It's been nine months since that issue. Obviously people have a right to worry. The publisher has sent out a note to some of his customers asking for more patience, and reporting:

I have had to replace several key positions and most recently am in the midst of switching web hosts.

*For any of you so inclined or interested, I do have one shareholder position available.

Edited by Neos2

Does anyone know the status of subscriptions to Geocacher Magazine? We were supposed to get the second issue in Sept and it was delayed. I still have an email from them saying it'd be delayed but would be coming. It's now three months later, they still have the monies I paid them for a year subscription, and they won't respond to emails asking about the status. Their website also seems to have been changed to some sort of cheesy, ad-laden free site. Anyone have any info? I'm thinking of contacting my credit card company and disputing the charges and trying to get my money back, but I don't know if there's a time limit on being able to do that.

I am sad to say that I am glad to know that I am not the only one having problems with this issue. I purchased a subscription for my husband for this birthday last March and I saw the May/June issue come in. I did not realize until I asked him if he wanted a renewal this year that we had only received ONE issue. Has anyone gotten any possitive responses from Mike Jacobus on this?? :):):)

I am sad to say that I am glad to know that I am not the only one having problems with this issue. I purchased a subscription for my husband for this birthday last March and I saw the May/June issue come in. I did not realize until I asked him if he wanted a renewal this year that we had only received ONE issue. Has anyone gotten any possitive responses from Mike Jacobus on this?? :):blink::blink:

My guess is he has totally lost interest in this project. He and his family haven't been caching since Aug of last year--although he did log into his personal account on March 9th. He hasn't logged into the magazine account since he made those last two posts in this thread. You know, the one assuring everyone he had all his ducks in a row and the magazine would go to the publisher "sometime in January" and the one where he says he doesn't post here because if "I took the time to personally answer each incorrect or negative post, I'd have time to do nothing else"

I sure would like to see him come back in here again and make a new post.

I say we all just contact the BBB and or our credit card companies and take it as a loss.

Lesson learned, I won't do this again even just to help out unfortunately.

I too only received the first issue. A very nice issue, but still just one at that.

I just want my refund and then I will build a bridge and get over it.

I say we all just contact the BBB and or our credit card companies and take it as a loss.

Lesson learned, I won't do this again even just to help out unfortunately.

I too only received the first issue. A very nice issue, but still just one at that.

I just want my refund and then I will build a bridge and get over it.

I filed a complaint with the Reno Attorney General and they wrote back that the phone # was disconnected and Michael Jacobus did not respond to their letters. They suggest I take him to small claims court, which I am prepared to do. Wouldn't it be easier for him to refund the money?

Over 90% of all magazines fold in the first year - most after the first issue. You're not likely to get any money back when there's no money there. If the owner had any sense whatsoever, he set the magazine up as a corporation. You can't get money from a corporation that has no assets.

I remember one magazine I subscribed to that folded after just two issues, still owing me four issues. They "fulfilled their obligation" by sending me two more copies of each of the old issues!

Like most people, I got the one issue. Unlike most people, I never opened it and it went into a sealed bag. Premier issues of successful magazines can be worth a fortune in mint condition. Unsuccessful magazines - well they're essentially trash. Now if I could just remember where I put it, I'd go ahead and read it now, then throw it away.

I filed a complaint with the Reno Attorney General and they wrote back that the phone # was disconnected and Michael Jacobus did not respond to their letters. They suggest I take him to small claims court, which I am prepared to do. Wouldn't it be easier for him to refund the money?

Wouldn't it be easier for you to just let it go?

Wouldn't it be easier for you to just let it go?

Agreed - very much so, what ya talking $30?

Personally I commend you for not "letting it go".

In my opinion that's a lazy way out!

The publisher has failed to answer even one of my many emails as to what has happened with my subscription. Heck, I would have been happy with just an apology, but to ignore me and everyone else who subscribed to this magazine is downright wrong!

Good luck with your endeavor and please post your progress, I'd love to find out what the outcome is.

Cheers.

I know that this is an old conversation, but I have also attempted to contact this individual(s), several times and I can't get any responses. It would be one thing if we hadn't payed for our subscriptions, but we did and the publishers of this magazine took off with all the money. To bad there wasn't a class action against them.

Hopefully we all have a dream

Sometimes we are told that our dream is not realistic, but we don't care, we forge ahead and try to make our dream real.

Evidently Michael dreamed of starting a geocaching magazine and becoming widely known and making some money.

Well, he accomplished the becoming widely known part! :laughing:

I don't know Michael, the publisher of Geocacher Magazine, but I did have several conversations with him via email and telephone, and I do not think that he set out to defraud his subscribers.

I do think he bit off way more than he could chew, that he ignored solid advice, and that he may even have made statements that were not truthful (he told me that he had a year's worth of content on hand, and numerous advertising contracts. Evidently he had neither).

I think that he was trying to build a business in a new market and it failed. Startups fail far more often than they succeed.

If you want my guess, for that is exactly what this is, he invested the subscription money in getting the first issue printed and things went south on him. I am guessing it cost him some money, and I am guessing that he hasn't made an appearance to explain himself because he first is embarrassed and secondly knows that he'll just take another beating by coming here.

I don't think that we'll ever know, but I doubt that he made enough from subscriptions to pay for the printing of that first issue.

That's my thinking; I will give him the benefit of the doubt - he spent the money, the magazine failed and he can't afford to repay the subscribers.

Perhaps those of us who lost money on subscriptions should look at it as investing in someone's dream, even if that was not our intent.

Hopefully we all have a dream

*snip*

Perhaps those of us who lost money on subscriptions should look at it as investing in someone's dream, even if that was not our intent.

When we subscribed to this magazine, it was more to see if it could get off the ground than with the expectation that it would last. My copy of issue one is cherished and I consider it a collectible... money well spent if I can sell it to someone far, far in the future. :laughing:

It just pains me that even after things started going south, he still took subscriptions from people.

J

I purchased a subscription for myself and also gave a gift subscription as a door prize at an event I hosted in January 2008. In the summer of 2008, I and the gift recipient received our one copy of GM. In my opinion it was a very nice issue and was actually a bit surprised at the VERY nice, heavy quality of paper used (seemed expensive to me LOL)... but I digress.

I was more than thrilled to see a great friend of ours (Dulcimer Guy) featured in a "meet the cachers" type of article in the issue. After reading the mag from cover-to-cover a few times, I happily gave my copy to Dulcimer Guy to keep for himself as a memento.

Then I watched my mailbox not-so-patiently for almost 18 months... still no second issue. I am very sad at the way this whole situation has been handled. I understand businesses go under and can sympathize. However, it would have been nice to hear the story straight instead of receiving email after email after email stating that the next issue was on it's way to press (or some other way of saying it was in progress), keeping our hopes up for so long. If we had just heard from Michael that the venture failed, and had been offered an apology, maybe I wouldn't be so sore about the whole thing.

I'm sorry things didn't work out Michael and crew, but I'm sorrier that you felt you couldn't (or wouldn't) tell your subscribers the plain truth.

From Facebook:

Geocacher Magazine Greetings GeoMag fans! - Well it took 'til August 2010 to get back on our feet but at last here we are! - Next issue going to print shortly! Please send in your story ideas, pics, cool camos, etc ....

Geocacher Magazine All previous subscribers WILL get their full subscriptions and more! - Thanks for your continued support!
Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this. I hope it works for him this time, but I have to say, even though I think I was more excited about a print magazine for geocaching than some peple were- I recall all the conversations/posts/discussions about how the net has potentially made such magazines obsolete- I do wonder about the viability of TWO print geocaching magazines...

Not to mention, ahem, a free ad-free online magazine.

Just, you know, sayin' :):P

Maybe the original subscribers can get one more issue. Not bad, one issue every three years. Too bad he couldn't have been upfront and let subscribers know what was going on and let them be the first to know he thinks the magazine is off the ground again. He must have everyone's address! There is a right way and a wrong way to do business and that is all I have to say about that. My $36 is long gone.

Maybe the original subscribers can get one more issue. Not bad, one issue every three years. Too bad he couldn't have been upfront and let subscribers know what was going on and let them be the first to know he thinks the magazine is off the ground again. He must have everyone's address! There is a right way and a wrong way to do business and that is all I have to say about that. My $36 is long gone.

IF anybody has any contact info on this publisher please send me a private email with the info as I am skip tracing him.

I should have done research before I ordered but I got taken in that he was supporting our local geocachers group by runnning them a display ad.

Interesting that this thread started in 2008 and here are people in 2011 wondering where their magazines are.

-RKO

History Caching

PS. Did anybody buy his magazine through Paypal? Did Paypal help with the dispute?

Edited by History-Cacher

You said, "If I took the time to personally answer each incorrect or negative post, I'd have time to do nothing else."

As a publisher who is dedicated to his publication you might want to consider the extra effort to

keep a good name and a good reputation.

It was my intention if the magazine had been delivered as promised was to not only submit articles

but also to bring in paid advertisers to support your publication. Your actions or (more to the point) your inactions

go to your character. The price I paid may be smaller that what would have been paid if I had brought you advertising dollars.

But still, I want my money back. :)

Good evening -

Happy Holidays everyone!

Geocacher Magazine

Edited by History-Cacher

Ray, It is public info from the web site of Geocachers Magazine - was going to send an email/Msg as requested but might be others that have concern so try this:

Geocacher Magazine

Reno, NV 89509 ~ U.S.A.

It might also be worthy of noting according to a note on GM's Facebook Fans page, Michael Jacobus (Publisher) suffered a mild stroke and is recovering. I've noticed Folks usually are a little more understanding if the person they are having issues/dealing with communicates. I've seen this type stuff with Geocoin companies/vendors.. Just a simple update can save a reputation. Course some are unsalvageable and they probably were out to ripe off geocachers anyway. I have no idea about Geocachers Mag intentions, seems once FTF mag got going and popular it was a motive to jump back into the game for a few quick bucks. Just a feeling and what kept me from subscribing... How many do we really need anyhow... It's like Podcasts.. I can barely make it through one.. LOL

Yes I followed all the threads since 2008. First time the excuse was a partner who went

bad on him, the second time it was because his father died and the latest in November

he had a mild heart attack and now it is February. Do you think that all his information

is correct? Whether he had a heart attack does not prevent him taking a couple minutes

to issue me a refund. Agreed?

Ray, It is public info from the web site of Geocachers Magazine - was going to send an email/Msg as requested but might be others that have concern so try this:

Geocacher Magazine

Reno, NV 89509 ~ U.S.A.

It might also be worthy of noting according to a note on GM's Facebook Fans page, Michael Jacobus (Publisher) suffered a mild stroke and is recovering. I've noticed Folks usually are a little more understanding if the person they are having issues/dealing with communicates. I've seen this type stuff with Geocoin companies/vendors.. Just a simple update can save a reputation. Course some are unsalvageable and they probably were out to ripe off geocachers anyway. I have no idea about Geocachers Mag intentions, seems once FTF mag got going and popular it was a motive to jump back into the game for a few quick bucks. Just a feeling and what kept me from subscribing... How many do we really need anyhow... It's like Podcasts.. I can barely make it through one.. LOL

Also if anybody bought the Geocachers Magazine with Paypal may want to check that they are NOT set up as a recurring payment as I was. You will want to check on that and make sure you are not.

Also I sent numerous emails to Paypal complaining about this state of affairs. Since this issue goes back to 2008 they should not have supported him as a merchant.

Others who used Paypal may want to send them their thoughts too.

Interested this thread has been going on for so long. I wish i'd read it before because i subscribed in October 2010 and have never received a copy. failed promises, and lies can be seen on the facebook page. He deletes uses and complains to facebook about anyone that gives him bad press. He has taken lots of money off people and failed to deliver the goods. he promises refunds but doesnt give them.

Dont subscribe what ever you do, without checking first that the magazine actually exists.

Also i set up a facebook page to question whether the mag existed. he complained and had it shut down. he doesnt like bad press but he's happy to take money off people without supplying the goods.

Does he still claim that only like 7 people world-wide have requested refunds since 2007? Tear-jerking hard luck story after tear jerking hard luck story. Consider your money lost forever, and ignore this guy. All while resting assured he won't possibly try to resurface a 3rd time in 2013. At least I hope not. :ph34r:

Also i set up a facebook page to question whether the mag existed. he complained and had it shut down. he doesnt like bad press but he's happy to take money off people without supplying the goods.

It would seem he is very adept at filing DMCA takedown notices. There is a procedure to file a counter-takedown notice that will put your info back online (assuming you'd aren't violating his copyright and only make fair-use of his work.). You can get full details here (or here).

He gets away with this because few people know how to file a counter-notice.

It would seem he is very adept at filing DMCA takedown notices. There is a procedure to file a counter-takedown notice that will put your info back online (assuming you'd aren't violating his copyright and only make fair-use of his work.). You can get full details here (or here).

He gets away with this because few people know how to file a counter-notice.

Dude is all happy go lucky over on at his facebook page, posting Geocaching current events to his wall (such as the Bomb squad call at Disneyland 2 days ago), and getting dozens of comments to his posts. I have to believe almost all the commenters think they are actually on the Facebook page of the legitimate "FTF Geocacher" Magazine, which has, um, actually published issues.

Yes, counter-takedown notice his arse. :P