Geocacher Magazine status?

Doctor A

Does anyone know the status of subscriptions to Geocacher Magazine? We were supposed to get the second issue in Sept and it was delayed. I still have an email from them saying it'd be delayed but would be coming. It's now three months later, they still have the monies I paid them for a year subscription, and they won't respond to emails asking about the status. Their website also seems to have been changed to some sort of cheesy, ad-laden free site. Anyone have any info? I'm thinking of contacting my credit card company and disputing the charges and trying to get my money back, but I don't know if there's a time limit on being able to do that.

One or more previous threads on this forum have already addressed this issue, and, if I recall correctly, it appears that the magazine went totally defunct. The problem with it, same as with previous print geo magazines that ultimately failed, was simply that geocaching is NOT a large enough sport, that is, it does not have a large enough following, to have enough persons available to buy single issues or subscriptions. So, they "went under" when they rand out of funds and ran into debt. Geocaching would need to be a MUCH larger and far more popular sport, perhaps twenty to fifty times its current size, in order to be able to support a print magazine.

And, the reason that their old website looks funny to you is that once they ran out of money, they likely abandoned both the website and the domain name, and it appears to me that the domain name was then purchased by a domain name scavenger/speculator, who turned it into an advertising site until (and if) they can sell the domain name at a profit.

Too bad that they didn't make it.

Fortunately there is, however, a free geocaching magazine!

The Online Geocacher is a free totally non-commercial (no paid ads or content) e-zine by, for and about geocachers.

http://onlinegeocacher.com

Enjoy. Share your stories. Spread the word! :D

I took a look at this when I was reading the other thread and I think it's great! Awsome amount of work and dedication put into it and lots of information and entertaining reading. Check it out!

(My name is Hukilaulau and I approve this message, since I wrote it :) )

I too have apid money too this company and never recieved even one issue. I have however tracked down the man in charge. (deleted by moderator, feel free to post your own name, address and phone number, but do not post other people's)

I am not sure just how many people he took money from but since I never recieved even one copy I would love to get it back. :P

Edited by mtn-man

This is strange as the owner of the Magazine ( Michael from Reno ) was in town a couple of weeks ago and came to my View Carre' cache to take pictures, etc as they wanted to feature it in an upcoming issue. The visit went very well and just yesterday I was trying to buy a subscription but couldn't find where to do it on the website although there was a link where you could view a past issue of the magazine.

Michael and his wife were very nice and he gave me a past issue of the magazine....he did mention that sales were slow.

Maybe the website is undergoing a makeover........I hope it all works out as its a nice idea.

There is a thread that has a lot of information on this magazine buried among the discussion of other similar magazines.

I wouldn't order a subscription to that magazine right now.

The publisher began by wanting to remain anonymous (in the world of publishing?) then later (grudgingly?) gave out his caching account name.

In June of 2007, he began sending out notes to geocachers about the magazine. Mine went something like this:

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 20:30:48 -0700

--This message was sent through http://www.geocaching.com --

I noticed you posted a comment or reply to a forum posting about a

magazine for Geocachers ... I know of one in the works and they'd love your

thoughts, ideas, etc ...

www.geocachermagazine.com

He also posted to the forums. that he would have a magazine out "later that year"

He also updated the caching community in the forum thread about magazines around then too.

In January of 2008 he announced that international orders were available and posted that the sample issue was available online.

In January of 2008 he teamed up with SoCal Geocoins to make a geocoin to benefit a cacher who had a stroke. (Unrelated, but of interest, SOCal Geocoins has had a bit of trouble lately delivering coins in a timely manner)

In February the publisher publisher did an interview and said the magazine would be out that week.

In April of 2008 he attracted my attention. Interestingly, his linkapedia account says he has been the publisher of the magazine since 2007.

In April of 2008 people started getting updates about why the premier January issue wasn't out--and the promise of a free issue for being so patient.

They also said the magazine was being completely redesigned and had plans to go to Woodstock

At the end of May, the Mar/Apr 2008 Premiere Issue of Geocacher Magazine has become the May/June 2008 Premiere Issue (Never mind that most magazine send out their issues a month in advance--So I get my May/June issue of most magazine at the end of April). It was announced that it was in the mail.

June 12th a cacher reported getting the magazine in the forums. Someone else bought a copy at GeoWoodstock and the publisher released a magazine as a travelbug.

If I'm not mistaken, that was the very same issue that was planned to go to press a year before.

In August a cacher reported that his wife bought him a subscription, but he had not gotten a magazine yet and he was having trouble getting responses from the publisher.

A few posts down in the same thread folks were saying (in October) they had still not heard anything from the publisher and had not gotten any additional magazines.

He hasn't logged into the Geocacher Magazine account here at GC since July of this year--although the family has been out caching, and has logged finds recently. They been to Nevada, Utah, California, and Hawaii in the past year and a half.

There is a myspace for the magazine:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=200749572

There is an online forum for the magazine--with no entires to speak of.

And there is a link for the preview. I wonder what the major corporate sponsors listed there think of the publication schedule so far?

LIke I said, I wouldn't order a subscription to them right now and I'm glad I didn't do it when I first saw the online sample. I'd love to hear from anyone that has been getting regular issues of the magazine and enjoys it.

Edited by Neos2

June 12th a cacher reported getting the magazine in the forums. Someone else bought a copy at GeoWoodstock and the publisher released a magazine as a travelbug.

I'd just like to clarify that it wasn't the publisher who released the magazine as a travelbug. It was me. I purchased two copies of the premier issue. One to keep for myself and one to send out as a TB. I was planning to do this with future issues but it appears that isn't going to happen any time soon. :rolleyes:

So if I'm understanding this correctly, people sent money to someone they didn't know for a product they had never seen?

I tried to tell 'em, but they wouldn't listen. :huh:

WOW! I'm a geoprophet. :huh:

Barely in time for the Holidays, check out the long awaited Geocacher Magazine!

The perfect gift for any caching enthusiast! Whether its for you or an addicted fellow cacher. Gift subscriptions available at 25% off!

View the online sample at: http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=prrpt

then go to http://www.geocachermagazine.com to subscribe!

Don't miss a single issue!

Happy Holidays from the Geomag staff!

P.S. Bare with us, the "Take A Peek" link to the digital sample will be active from our web page in the next few days; when our programmer gets back from Christmas caching with his kids.

Umm, I saw lots of ads, big pictures and very little content of interest to me. :D

At $18 for 6 issues of what I saw in the sample..... your balloon is leaking. B)

I'd be happy to invest a few bucks in a couple copies of the first issue, but beyond that it's wait and see. :D

Who is doing the writing?

What are their geo-handles?

How long have they been geocaching?

I'd love to throw my support behind a viable venture, but I ain't seein' viability here. ;)

Can you provide more info for us hopeful skeptics?

My kids and I are TheFortuneFinders on gc.com. Cache On!

That makes more sense. The "Geo Mag" ID only has two finds (both social events) and I couldn't imagine someone with no actual caches logged trying to produce a caching mag. Your actual ID lets me get a better idea of who is making the publication.

Anyway...thanks, again, for the clarification.

:)

So, is it just you that is writing the mag? B)

I can't help but notice that the two largest articles in your sample are of a personal nature: An under water cache that you are the last reported finder of and a story about a travel bug that belongs to you.... Where's the diversity? B)

Are there ANY other writers? Who are they? B)

Can you shed some light on the diversity of content in your future issues? B)

Will you be selling single issues? B) I will certainly buy a couple copies of the first issue.

I seriously WANT to see a printed geocaching magazine succeed and as I've stated earlier in this thread, my spider sense of impending doom was not tingling.... ummm, until now.... B)

Just callin' it like I see it. I wish you the best of luck. :)

The sample looks pretty good. On the positive side, I see ads which bode well for the future of the mag. Probably the biggest problem with Today's Cacher was generating revenue.

As far as the naysayers here, who cares who writes it? Who cares who is on the staff? If it's an interesting magazine that stuff is irrelevant to me.

Instead of putting it down based on a 6 page sample of a 60+ page issue, why not give it a chance? I really don't understand the antipathy.

I believe the sample was between 15-18 pages or just under a third of the mag. Sorry, I wasn't impressed. The bar has already been set. :D

Could I have done so well. Heck NO, but then I have no desire to publish a magazine and get folks to want to subscribe to it. B) Someone else has already done better IMO and sadly, their effort failed... B)

What I desire as a consumer of this or any other attempt at a geocaching magazine is diversity and stories that consistantly hold my interest. I looked over the sample in magnifed mode twice a in unmagnified mode 3 or 4 times. B)

Sorry, I saw none of that in the sample pages. :D

As for antipathy, I believe the totality of my posting to this topic's many pages will show no such animal. I started to scold Jerry and stopped. He and TAR are just speaking from experience which may be of some help.

My experience also counts. I lost $30+ in subscription fees and received exactly ONE issue of TC in the mail.... I'm not bitter about that. Jerry & Company put forth a valient effort and turned out first class if narrow perspectived (IMO) magazine which I was happy to support.

I'm as yet to be convinced on this one though. Hopefully, I have been constrctive enough.

Nope. No antipathy here. Just hopeful optimism turned south at the first example and now I'm a hopeful skeptic. :D

Just my opinion.... but whenever there is a magazine for an activity, the activity itself isn't so cool anymore. You gotta admit, geocaching is on the fringes of past times / hobbies, etc.

Cache Safe!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

I dunno, I have a lifetime subscription to Chess Life magazine, and an informal survey of life members shows that both of us are happy with the mag,!

Just my opinion.... but whenever there is a magazine for an activity, the activity itself isn't so cool anymore. You gotta admit, geocaching is on the fringes of past times / hobbies, etc.

Cache Safe!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

I dunno, I have a lifetime subscription to Chess Life magazine, and an informal survey of life members shows that both of us are happy with the mag,!

:):):D

Yes, but do you also operate under the illusion that you're cool? :):D

So if I'm understanding this correctly, people sent money to someone they didn't know for a product they had never seen?

:D

And, moreover, for a magazine where the publisher had at first tried to remain anonymous while accepting funds from subscribers, which is about the weirdest thing that I have ever heard of in the world of publishing.

And, on top of that, people willingly forked over funds in advance for one year subscriptions even though El Diablo, with his previous TC effort, had proven that even an excellent print magazine with an excellent staff and plenty of volunteers simply cannot possibly survive (due to necessary limitations upon revenue mandated by an insanely small market base) in a sport with a following as small as that exhibited by geocaching. So, this latest effort was kinda a recipe for disaster, and the handwriting was on the wall, plain to see, for anyone who was willing to have spent a bit of time in performing due diligence, and yet many folks chose, knowingly, to abandon all caution and to take the minor risk of investing some money in the magazine. I must admit that I shake my head in disbelief when I hear people complaining about the fact that this latest mag failed, or when they claim to be mystified at the fact that it failed. Frankly, in my opinion, if any print geo magazine effort were to have been destined to thrive in such a tiny and constricted marketplace, it would have been El Diablo's TC mag.

So, this latest effort was kinda a recipe for disaster, and the handwriting was on the wall, plain to see, for anyone who was willing to have spent a bit of time in performing due diligence, and yet many folks chose, knowingly, to abandon all caution and to take the minor risk of investing some money in the magazine. I must admit that I shake my head in disbelief when I hear people complaining about the fact that this latest mag failed, or when they claim to be mystified at the fact that it failed.

Well of course the magazine is destined for failure if it is written off from the outset as non-viable.

I’m an optimist. As you mentioned, the risk of investing is really minor but still I did so in hopes of taking a leap of faith and supporting someone trying to publish a magazine about a hobby I enjoy in hopes that the idea might blossom. The initial issue was pretty so-so but new enterprises usually are.

It is a bummer that that small investment is in all likelihood gone and I wish the publisher would have handled their communication better. It bothered me that they didn’t let subscribers know what was happening more than the fact that they were not publishing. In the end though, I guess it really isn’t that big a deal. If somebody else gives it a go, I would probably subscribe to that too.

Now forgive me, I need to go to the bank to cut a money order to a Nigerian Prince that just emailed me.

Just a thought, but maybe some of the folks talking about what hasn't worked might use that time instead writing a submission to the only free publication for geocaching that IS working!

Is it? :)

The way you come in here and hijack other threads to beg for submissions makes me think it isn't working very well :D

I for one, have never once even looked at your so-called free mag, mainly because I hate the way you come in here and spam the forums every chance you get. Put a plug in it, please. :)

Just a thought, but maybe some of the folks talking about what hasn't worked might use that time instead writing a submission to the only free publication for geocaching that IS working!

The way you come in here and hijack other threads to beg for submissions makes me think it isn't working very well :D

I for one, have never once even looked at your so-called free mag, mainly because I hate the way you come in here and spam the forums every chance you get. Put a plug in it, please. :)

WOW...bad hair day??

I believe the reason TAR asks for stories and such is because he'd like to include any and ALL cachers! I know I've given thought to writing a few stories for him, just never get the time. Spam the forums?? I don't see it that way at all!

Like my mom told me, if you've nothing nice to say, put a plug in it...please! :D

TAR, I'll try to send you something soon. If you're in need of anything secific, please email me!! Seeings I am out of work for a few months or more, I think I'll try to find the time!!

Just a thought, but maybe some of the folks talking about what hasn't worked might use that time instead writing a submission to the only free publication for geocaching that IS working! :D

The Online Geocacher wants your stories!

I'm sorry, I though this thread was about Gecacher Magazine and what hasn't worked with print magazines.

We know of course that here are many sites and blogs online to read articles about geocaching.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

Here is my experience with the Geocacher Magazine:

Summer 07 I received an email from the editor that he’d be passing though my area (Spokane, WA) and wanted to meet with me to chat about my products and my store. We had a nice visit and I found him, his wife and their friends to be nice folks and very friendly. We had an ongoing email conversation regarding advertising in his forthcoming magazine, but I wasn’t able to justify the cost for such seemingly little exposure -not knowing at the time how VERY little!

As a sponsor (at a certain level) of Geowoodstock VI in spring 2008 I was led to believe that this magazine was producing the ‘souvenir program’ and I would receive a half page advertisement. I sent numerous emails to the editor for my ad, as directed by the Geowoodstock folks, and they were never returned. I did actually see the editor at Woodstock, but alas, I was too busy with my booth to chat (not a bad problem to have).

A few months later I received a call from another cacher that he’d seen my ad in the magazine. What? I never approved of an ad, and hadn’t even seen a proof. I didn’t even know the magazine ever went to print. THEN I received a bill for this ad! So I texted the editor, and coincidently, he and I were both in SLC the next day for the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market. I actually got a copy at the local Travel Bug Hotel in SLC, and was very dismayed at the quality of the ad –I would never have put out something so poor. I was able to track the editor down, and we had lunch. He told me that he never agreed to the Geowoodstock souvenir program, and ‘he didn’t know where my ad came from’ that was in his magazine. He told me to tear up the bill, and he then paid for my lunch. He didn’t say anything about going out of business…

That was the last I heard from him directly. So, I am glad I never PAID for any advertising. I am frustrated about the ad for my business that appeared, but apparently so few ever were circulated so probably no harm done.

And who ever said there’s no such thing as a free lunch….? :):):D

You may be right. I shouldn't have to ask.

I was under the impression that folks wanted a geocaching publication. I gave them one. It's really up to the community from here on out... if they find value in it then they'll publish their stories in it.

Still they can't submit if they don't know that it exists and getting the word out has been my sole motivation.

As far as "your so-called free mag" you are right... it's not free. I paid presspublisher.com $300. for access to their tools and pay a monthly fee to publish it. That's my gift to the geocaching community. I will never ask for money. I have no fees, no ads, no paid anything... no revenue stream of any sort, so to readers it is in fact totally free. I get nothing whatsoever out of it but the joy of reading the stories.

I am sorry that my posts come across as hijacking or spam. I will stop them. That was never my intent.

The Leprechaun suggested at a recent event that I start a thread just for The Online Geocacher. I will do that and will refrain from 'begging for submissions' outside of that thread.

As far as your never having read it, give it a look... it's not about me. I do not editorialize. I do not promote my opinions. I simply publish what geocachers send me. You might even like it... and though this is probably not the right post to say that we'd love to have some stories from you, I don't want to be seen as begging, we would! :D

I was under the impression that folks wanted a geocaching publication. I gave them one. It's really up to the community from here on out... if they find value in it then they'll publish their stories in it.

I do find value in the onlinegeocacher and I support it the best way that I can, by contributing articles. When Caching Now came out I was excited to have free articles to read, enjoy and learn from. It left me hungry for more articles, more often. Then I read about the onlinegeocacher in the forums and checked it out, it was exactly what I was looking for, new content more often, entertainment, cachers sharing stories with the caching community. My first article was written because of a similar article that reminded me of the experience. I've enjoyed writing for the magazine and I hope others enjoy what I've written, in any case I will continue to support the magazine and the efforts of the AlabamaRambler to bring the onlinegeocacher to the caching community.

Edited by catsnfish

{...}

I was able to track the editor down, and we had lunch. He told me that he never agreed to the Geowoodstock souvenir program, and ‘he didn’t know where my ad came from’ that was in his magazine. He told me to tear up the bill, and he then paid for my lunch. He didn’t say anything about going out of business…

That was the last I heard from him directly. So, I am glad I never PAID for any advertising. I am frustrated about the ad for my business that appeared, but apparently so few ever were circulated so probably no harm done.

Thanks for sharing that information. You know, I wonder if the major companies that had advertising in the magazine had similar experiences? The online 'preview' I saw had several ads by companies like Magellan, Garmin, Jeep, etc.

We are still way way on the fringe of total obscurity, and it would be several years and a couple more million registered accounts before a print magazine would ever work.

You think geocaching is obscure? Heck, it was featured in a two-age spread in Parade magazine (that Sunday mag in newspapers) - that makes it almost mainstream! Every other muggle I encounter these days has heard of geocaching.

You want fringe? Try orienteering. MUCH smaller population than geocaching, partly because it's a cross-country competitive sport. Despite small numbers, we have a successful print magazine, Orienteering North America, that I've been receiving bimonthly for over 12 years (the mag is much older than that). It's paid for by advertising (not a lot, but some) and from part of the dues that we pay to USOF (our national federation). Considering that there are probably less than 1000 USOF members to support the magazine, it's not exactly a large user base - yet the magazine survives, on glossy paper, about 32 pages/issue.

Or take Washington Trails magazine. Also a fairly small readership (avid hikers in Washington state), but another successful bimonthly print magazine.

Both of these publications rely entirely on their readership to submit articles and photos, unpaid. Both provide me with loads of enjoyment and useful info each issue.

There are literally hundreds of successful "fringe" print pubs out there. So, I don't think it's the number of participants that necessarily determine the viability of a print magazine. Altho, I admit, 10 people wouldn't be quite enough. :D

It's the business model, the marketing, the publisher's experience with a project like this, etc. I'm a former journalist and magazine editor, and I know it's possible. Although the dynamics of this community - most of it online - might make a print pub a harder sell to subscribers and advertisers. And definitely, the publishers' interactions with our community, as noted in other posts, did not build confidence or help their case.

My 2 cents.

Edited by hydnsek

{...}

I was able to track the editor down, and we had lunch. He told me that he never agreed to the Geowoodstock souvenir program, and ‘he didn’t know where my ad came from’ that was in his magazine. He told me to tear up the bill, and he then paid for my lunch. He didn’t say anything about going out of business…

Thanks for sharing that information. You know, I wonder if the major companies that had advertising in the magazine had similar experiences? The online 'preview' I saw had several ads by companies like Magellan, Garmin, Jeep, etc.

From what I've read I'm probably wrong but I wouldn't write the magazine off quite yet. As I said earlier Mike and his wife were just in town and he told me the magazine was moving forward. He left me his geocacher magazine business card and I'm holding a copy of the magazine. Its 64 glossy pages and I find it first rate with very nice adds from many major vendors.......I would have no problem subscribing to this magazine ( assuming I would get the publications.)

And to the Rambler.......don't feal bad or cease letting folks know about your mag. efforts, I, for one, found out about it on this thread and hope to be able to contribute......THANKS.

Greetings gc.com forum posters!

Michael J from Geocacher Magazine here.

I guess I should start by apologizing to whomever feels that I have ignored them here or in any way discounted the importance of the forum reader's input.

I did make an agreement with Groundspeak not to solicit or market the magazine through the forums and since the majority of posts here have either been anonymous or coming from non-subscribers, and many have been overly critical with little or no information, I have not paid too much attention to this venue.

All that said, I am happy to fill you in on what's going on with the magazine.

The magazine is still very much alive and has NO PLANS to shut down or go out of business.

As I'm sure Jerry (El Diablo) can attest to, running a print-media publication is a very expensive venture and with the economy in its current decline, I am facing a very challenging balance of costs vs. expenses.

The content for the bulk of the next 3 issues is ready and in place. Just waiting for advertiser placement commitments and some corresponding cash-flow to proceed.

I have had to replace several key positions and most recently am in the midst of switching web hosts.

All this while continuing my "day job", my single-dad & community activities and dealing with a few other issues on this end.

My goal for the magazine is to create an enjoyable publication with enough variation to provide something for everyone. Not to "get rich" from the geocaching community. Indeed, I believe that with our economy in its current condition, more and more individuals and families will be drawn toward geocaching and other inexpensive outdoor activities. I think our sport / hobby is in for quite a BOOM!

I would ask for your continued patience and support for this venture! If you have any specific questions or concerns, or better yet helpful thoughts, input or suggestions, please email them directly to me at; mike@geocachermagazine.com.

Again, my apologies if those here in the gc.com forums have in any way felt slighted or overlooked. That was never my intention.

I wish you all a safe and wonderful holiday season and hope to include many of your stories, photos and adventures in future issues of Geocacher Magazine!

Best Wishes & Cache On!

Michael Jacobus ~ Publisher

Geocacher Magazine

550 West Plumb Ln., Suite 444

Reno, NV 89509

mike@geocachermagazine.com

I'll agree with Michael tha it's a very expensive venture. Today's Cacher was a very succesful as a on line publication, and very popular and demanded as a print issue. I do believe there is a market large enough to support such a venture, if it's done correctly. I didn't do it correctly, nor do I see any signs that Michael has either.

Most magazines depend almost 100% on advertisment sales to meet operating cost and to be profitable, not subscriptions. For this magazine to be succesful, it must to do the opposite. I learned that too late. By the time I figured out what I needed to do, I ran out of money.

One day when my personal life is in order I may try again. In the mean time I hope everyone keeps an open mind about what Michael is trying to do, and the challenges he faces. Be supportive an offer ideas, and be constructive in your criticisms. The end result may be something you like.

El Diablo

I had ordered two subscriptions in July but since I never heard why they were not being shipped I emailed Michael to get my money back on November 28th. I did not hear from him so my wife called his number twice with no reply also. He did finally contact me today with basically the same story as he posted above. While I do hope he succeeds, the lack of communication and the change in website with no info posted makes me want to pull out at this point. He stated he has a 99.2 % retention rate with only one other person being as aggressive as me trying to get their money back. Again, I hope he makes it and would entertain getting a subscription if it is delivered on a regular basis.

You want fringe? Try orienteering.

I know exactly what you mean. I read a magazine the other day called NSS News, published by the National Speleological Society. They've only got 12,000 members. Surely, if they can come up with a working business model, our little hobby can as well.

Mike, Ed, (hopefully Jerry someday), looking forward to your continued efforts.

I know exactly what you mean. I read a magazine the other day called NSS News, published by the National Speleological Society. They've only got 12,000 members. Surely, if they can come up with a working business model, our little hobby can as well.

I have been following this thread for a week or so, only to see what can be done to get the Geo Magazine. Would not have even known about it had the publisher (M.J.) not given me a copy about 3 weeks ago (Mid Nov. '08) :laughing: when I met him at one of the cache sights I now "own" thru adoption, which also was my first find. Interestingly enough, I am one of those 12,000 NSS members that get a great full color magazine each month

I have been a member of NSS since about 1977, and I have been tempted in the past to use them, and their mag, as a basis for comparison, but the reality is that I feel that any comparison would not be fair, because NSS is a VERY different organization from any geo organizations of which I am aware, and caving is a VERY different sport/activity from geocaching. I will share just a few details to illustrate what I mean below.

First, NSS not only publishes NSS News in full color on a monthly basis, but it also publishes a semi-technical/semi-scientific color journal called Journal of Cave and Karst Studies three times per year, and it also publishes a journal called American Caving Accidents about once per year, and full members (yearly fee for full membership ranges from about $36 to $108, and they also offer a very limited membership for $15 per year) of NSS receive all three magazines and journals. In addition, they also market several other journals and books, including Speleo Digest and NSS Annual Reports.

And, NSS has about 12,000 paying members.

Now, the above description of benefits vs. membership count sounds impressive, but the reality is that NSS is a world apart from the realities of the geocaching world. For example, a very high percentage of NSS members are academicians and scientists (i.e. geologists, biologists, naturalists, anthropologists) or professionals in related fields. These facts, coupled with their commitment to the following agendas:

• cave research
  • cave preservation
  • cave conservation
  • managing/limiting cave access
  • advancement of the science of speleology
  • cave management
  • cave preservation/acquisition
  • driving cave-related legislation
  • cave surveying and mapping
  • discovery of new caves
  • cave rescue
  • public education
  • accident prevention

have qualified NSS and its various committees and divisions over the years to receive numerous and VERY SUBSTANTIAL grants and contracts from state and federal governments, various public agencies, and even from private funding organizations. And, as I recall, since NSS has been in existence since around 1930, and has been involved in conservation/preservation and educational/research activities for many years, NSS also is the recipient of some nice endowments and numerous other kinds of funding, including donations, from private sources.

They also garner additional income not only from membership fees at various levels of membership, but also from sale of their journals and books, and also from advertising revenues and web hosting. Further, they also receive donations from numerous sporting-goods manufacturers for maintenance and upkeep of their websites and for various conservation and education activities.

All of this that I have iterated about NSS and caving is a far cry from the basic realities of the geocaching world, because, whether we like it or not, geocaches are not a sensitive and fragile natural resource, there is no science of geocachingology, there is no interest on the part of municipal and federal governments for promotion of geocache education, geocache preservation, geocache conservation or geocache research, and geocaches, unlike caves, are not one of the most beautiful wonders of the natural world.

Further, and on a related note, with the sole exception of minor tourism efforts made by a few regional governments, there are no state and federal agencies nor wealthy private funding organizations, nor private individuals lining up to dispense generous grants, endowments and contracts for agendas or goals such as preservation of geocaches, geocache conservation, geocache surveying, geocache rescue, discovery of new geocaches, development of the science of geocachology, or geocache research.

I could go on for another four paragraphs, but I think that you are starting to get the drift!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Great News GeoMag fans!

I have finally gotten all my "ducks in a row" and the next issue will go to press sometime in January. As always, any ideas, stories, photos, etc ... is always appreciated!

Happy Holidays!

Michael J

Geocacher Magazine

"Sometime in January" of 2009?

Meanwhile, on the forum for your magazine, there is still one whole post from November 24th, to which you have not yet replied.

Hey, let me know when that mag comes back from the press and I'll consider asking to purchase one copy to check it out.

Edited by Neos2

Great News GeoMag fans!

I have finally gotten all my "ducks in a row" and the next issue will go to press sometime in January. As always, any ideas, stories, photos, etc ... is always appreciated!

Happy Holidays!

Michael J

Geocacher Magazine

Hmmmpppfff...! Well, I am probably putting myself right in the line of fire by making the comments that I am about to make, and the publisher may well decide to retaliate by eventually publishing an expose of me in one of the issues of his magazine, wherein he may reveal that I am really a reptoid reptilian shapeshifter in the employ of the alien grays, the Illuminati, the skunk ops arm of the CIA and the Jesuits, but, here goes anyway, and let the chips fall where they may!

I find it interesting, no, I find it FASCINATING, that the publisher/editor of a fee-based magazine would try to cloak his identity by signing his posts with his first name and only the first initial of his last name. To me, not only is such behavior unheard of in the publishing world, which usually offers complete transparency regarding the identity of the publisher, editor, and writers of magazines, but, if I were considering the possibility of subscribing, I would be VERY wary of this type of behavior. And, I would be even more wary, in light of the delays, of the failure to issue at least semi-regular up-front updates disclosing the delays and the reasons for them.

In any case, having said that, I wish the publisher and Geocacher Magazine the best with their effort.

And, happy holidays to all, well, except for Sioneva, who is my sworn arch-nemesis!

Good evening -

Just passing through the forums to keep my word that I would not overlook the opinions posted here!

I guess I should thank the last few posters for illustrating my point as to why I hadn't been checking the forums very often. If I took the time to personally answer each incorrect or negative post, I'd have time to do nothing else.

As for the claim that I am "cloaking" my identity, please scroll up a bit to see my previous post with my full name and address ... nothing cloaked, but I love the use of the mysterious word and the reference to my sending the Illuminati.

As for the credit card guy - he was long ago refunded as was his "Gift" order and was advised that since I don't believe in un-gifting, his intended recipiant will still get all 6 issues, no charge.

For the rest who have sent supportive and excited emails about the upcoming issues, I really appreciate it and for the gal who mentioned the passing of my dad, many, many thanks. He was a great guy.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Leonardo Illuminati Da Vincci - Cloaked Publisher

Geocacher Magazine

P.S. I will check back here once in a while for any real substance, otherwise ... ideas, suggestions, questions, etc ... are always welcome via email to; mike@geocachermagazine.com