Geocoin Directory

CM-14

People have tried and fell short because so many coins are minted and never announced or made available for sale commercially. Even those become available through so many different vendours who do this mostly as a hobby. Wikipedia probably has a good hearted attempt at cataloguing all geocoins but lack of input and submissions has halted progress.... imo.

Okay - here's my assist on the "Personal Coin" mystery.

There are 21 or 22 "Personal Coins" from the days when you couldn't get a custom icon if you were a measly person and not an organization :sad:

Here are what some of the the "coins behind the icon" are:

Red-Handed (the larger, regular one - not the mini's)

Kilted Cacher

Avroair Trackable

San Francisco (not a person, but I guess they didn't order enough to get the icon)

Steal Your Face

Kootney Pirates (I think)

What are the others?.....oooooo mysterious!

On a side-note. There are also those trackable coins that didn't get a custom icon, but "did" get a special name. They have the "cent" icon, but a "proper" name - Holiday Coins come to mind.

Are there any jobs available as a geocoin historian? :blink:

Here are what some of the the "coins behind the icon" are:

Red-Handed (the larger, regular one - not the mini's)

Kilted Cacher

Avroair Trackable

San Francisco (not a person, but I guess they didn't order enough to get the icon)

Steal Your Face

Kootney Pirates (I think)

Add.

DMFlyer

2005 Thanksgiving

Idaho

These also track as "Personal Coin"

Columbia

darthi

KSWader

Isle of Man

Manituela

neilsenc

native coin

Now.... before we *think* we have a list. The ones following my initial post would all need verification.

Also! It became a "practice" for coin-makers to buy the required tracking numbers and then divide them up amongst several projects.

So. It *is* possible the Groundspeak only has ONE "Personal Coin" listing for .... let's say Nielsenc, but the numbers went over the Personal, Thanksgiving, and Christmas coins.... I don't know.

Also. I don't own all these coins (about 60% only). So I gathered this info from different sources. I always name my coin the .... name of the coin. Some don't, so you never know. Eg. Idaho and "Beentherefoundit" are the same coin.

Any others?

Okay! More research has been done. (I came home from work and looked at my coins).

So. The original question - is there a directory of trackable coins? - no.

However. The link to the above is a comprehensive list of all GC.com trackable coins. The only ones that are hard to find are those that are GC.com trackable without custom icons. These all fall into the "Personal Coin" listing and are prefixed by "PC" in the number.

We then have:

Non-Trackable.

Trackable outside GC.com

Trackable on GC.com with the "PC" prefix and icon

Trackable on CG.com with a custom icon

Finding a list of all coins is easiest in the reverse order.

Trackable on GC.com with custom icon - link was provided above - complete

Trackable on GC.com "PC" coins. I *thought* that this would be not too hard to do. I was wrong. Although the link provided shows 21-22 of these, the fact is there are MANY more. The lists I provided above are the earlier ones (to my knowledge), but I have also found many more in my collection with "PC" prefixes. My collection is mostly pre-2006 coins - so early material only, but there are still more than 21 "PC" coins in it. So they are obviously "Blocks" of numbers across several coins.

Trackable outside of GC.com - very hard to find any lists/references

Non-trackable. The hardest to get a list of as there are some coins folks done even announce to the public. Also, this is where most of the earliest coins fit - because tracking wasn't available.

Hope all the above helps.