A little Geocoin history, please..

acadiahiker

I kind of got into this late in the game for the really early coins. I think it was around Nov 2005. Anyway I still am not sure exactly what all I have since I just threw one in my big grenade can in the garage every time I got somethng unique. It takes two people to lift it now. I guess some day I need to go through it.

This is a really good string and I appreciate all you old timers sharing what you know. I have learned more here than just about any forum post on geocoins I have seen. Speaking of which are there any other older strings any one knows of that might be worth looking at for history on the earlier geocoins?

I kind of got into this late in the game for the really early coins. I think it was around Nov 2005. Anyway I still am not sure exactly what all I have since I just threw one in my big grenade can in the garage every time I got somethng unique. It takes two people to lift it now. I guess some day I need to go through it.

This is a really good string and I appreciate all you old timers sharing what you know. I have learned more here than just about any forum post on geocoins I have seen. Speaking of which are there any other older strings any one knows of that might be worth looking at for history on the earlier geocoins?

I'd be reeeeeal happy to help you "go through" your coins :laughing:

If you started Nov 2005 - then you would have some of the earlier coins. The real "explosion" of coins happened around June/July of the summer of 2005 - with things getting super-heated in early 2006 (to the best of my recollection anyhow)

If you had any older coins prior to Nov 2005 - then you might have some very cool ones indeed.

Opps - of course, there are many modern cool coins too. You just might have some "rare" early coins.

I'd be reeeeeal happy to help you "go through" your coins :laughing:

If you started Nov 2005 - then you would have some of the earlier coins. The real "explosion" of coins happened around June/July of the summer of 2005 - with things getting super-heated in early 2006 (to the best of my recollection anyhow)

If you had any older coins prior to Nov 2005 - then you might have some very cool ones indeed.

Opps - of course, there are many modern cool coins too. You just might have some "rare" early coins.

and of course, if there are any of those ugly ol' thangs cluttering up the garage, i would be more than happy to take them off your hands. :laughing:

rsg

Just a note of info for the OP and anyone who's searches find this thread.

I believe it is the Moun10Bike V1 that was first (unless I'm mistaken). The first mb coin #001 is on mb's mantel at home, 002 is "missing" and 003 recently turned up in a cache and found by cacher joe friday. He brought it to an event where a select few of us got to hold and discover it before he drove it up to groudspeak personally to have them add it to their mini museum at their headquarters.

--------

Owner: Moun10Bike

Released: Thursday, September 20, 2001

Origin: Washington, United States

Use TB1F to reference this item.

31_600.jpg

--------

Edited by scavok

I'd be reeeeeal happy to help you "go through" your coins :D

and of course, if there are any of those ugly ol' thangs cluttering up the garage, i would be more than happy to take them off your hands. :D

rsg

Come on over and play. I have folks come by from time to time and we lug the ole ammo can into the family room and dump them all on the carpet. It drives my wife crazy. There must be over 1500 geocoins in there plus all kinds of signature items. It takes many hours to sort through and look at them all. Much wine and beer is consumed in the process. Last time someone came over we were at it for four hours before they had to take the little one home. I don't think I have any of the really really rare stuff like you guys do. But they are pretty to look at.

Think of rolling around on a bed of geocoins.

I have a box full of old geocoins (2004-2006) :D . Anyone want them?

:D

You know we do! I'll cache the duplicates.

Question: Didn't you have a coin waaaaay back? A round one? I have your raven and I have the military coin that you were kind enough to let me have (even though I'm Canadian and obviously haven't served in the US military). As per the "deal" they aren't ever leaving my possession!

I did, however, think that you had a coin prior to these. Yes/no?

Yes I did. My first geocoin is pictured below. It was like the original personal geocoins from 2003-2004 period, all of the design had actual meaning in relation to the owner of the geocoin. A old Celtic Raven design (yes its also on a wine bottle) for my tattoo, crossed sabers for my military occupation, compass rose for traveling the world. Red for blood shed by American servicemen and women in all wars. I'm a LOTR fan, which explains the "not all those that wander are lost". Each color of the Raven's eye represents a special month in my life.I designed the coin in 2004 and had them made in early 2005.

Always traded away and never sold by me.

cavscout.gif

This is my current geocoin.

cavscout2gold.gif

I have a box full of old geocoins (2004-2006) :laughing: . Anyone want them?

:D

You know we do! I'll cache the duplicates.

Question: Didn't you have a coin waaaaay back? A round one? I have your raven and I have the military coin that you were kind enough to let me have (even though I'm Canadian and obviously haven't served in the US military). As per the "deal" they aren't ever leaving my possession!

I did, however, think that you had a coin prior to these. Yes/no?

Edited by Cav Scout

Believe it or not, there are a few of these geocoins out in the wild. One is in a cache that has not been found since 2005. Cache is still there too. The last geocacher to look for the cache was stopped by a bear.

IMG_3095.jpg

cavscout.gif

One of my favorite coins. Always wondered why the raven eyes were different colors.

Edited by Cav Scout

Is Kilted Cacher still around?

Recently, I read somewhere that the Kilted Cacher geocoin was the first trackable geocoin on GC.com. What were some other very early trackables? And what were the first geocoins with unique icons?

A cacher recented posted on another forum that he had completed his quest for the first 10 geocoins (non-trackable).

I'm curious which ones they are.

I still have one of these geocoins. Its a really nice coin.

First one over? Not sure.

On the Kilted Cacher question. His coin does not have a custom icon - so it's not the first personal with a custom icon. It's also not the first trackable personal coin. So that answers the original post :laughing:

on the trackable site for kilted cacher it says, "My first activated personal geocoin and the first personal geocoin activated on gc.com"

the gc site photo shows a kilted man, in colour. but the photo on geocoinscollection.com and some of the photos on cointracking, show an all metal kilted guy. was there more than one version? or is the coloured one a drawing?

dff64145-c798-433a-892a-0433045f7063.jpg

Dhobby1_trade_140_40333_Front100.jpg

rsg