Nüvi 550

Nuffie

I don't believe it is. At least my Nuvi 250 can't do it. The Nuvi isn't really designed for geocaching and backcountry navigation so it doesn't have some important geocaching features.

The Nüvi 550 is different. Geocaching, Topo-maps, coordinates, loading routes, gpx-files, etc can be done. But I'am affraid Garmin is forgotten the projection. I hope it wil be in the next update.

(sorry for my bad english)

I don't believe it is. At least my Nuvi 250 can't do it. The Nuvi isn't really designed for geocaching and backcountry navigation so it doesn't have some important geocaching features.

The Nüvi 550 is different. Geocaching, Topo-maps, coordinates, loading routes, gpx-files, etc can be done. But I'am affraid Garmin is forgotten the projection. I hope it wil be in the next update.

(sorry for my bad english)

Update: By email Garmin has told me that the Nüvi 550 has no option for projecting. And they are not willing to fix that in an new softwareupdate. The Nüvi 550 is not a real outdoor-GPS.... :D:D

Hello all,

I am new to this and I have a Nuvi 550.

First of all, I would like to know what is "projection" on a GPS...

Secondly, I downloaded a few GPX files on my Nuvi, and for most of the files, I have all the details, journal etc... except for one, the location that is closest to my home: GC10RK1

As soon as I open this file on my GPS, it shuts down.. <_<

Can anyone help me..?

Thanks in advance,

GS_Marc

First of all, I would like to know what is "projection" on a GPS...

Projecting is the ability to set and navigate to a waypoint a specified distance away at a certain bearing.

For instance if you see mountain peak a mile away at bearing of 180 degrees you can use your GPS to project a waypoint at that location so you can navigate there.

Some puzzle caches make use of this feature.

To make things clear, I transfered many .gpx files to my Nuvi and I can access all of them with no problem, I can read the directions, hints and all. I can also "navigate" to those waypoints with no problems. The only one that causes me trouble is the "GC10RK1" geocache...

Anyone know if this file is corrupted...? Maybe someone can upload it to his/her GPS and check this..?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

To make things clear, I transfered many .gpx files to my Nuvi and I can access all of them with no problem, I can read the directions, hints and all. I can also "navigate" to those waypoints with no problems. The only one that causes me trouble is the "GC10RK1" geocache...

Anyone know if this file is corrupted...? Maybe someone can upload it to his/her GPS and check this..?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

You might be better off starting a thread in the GPS and Technology forum. A lot of GPS experts lurk there and can probably help you out better than those of use who lurk in the Getting Started forum.