Geocaching Instructor Jobs

pwcpa

The Prince William County VA Park Authority is currently recruiting candidates to coordinate and implement a year-round outdoor adventure in Geocaching as a part of our new environmental studies program! Join our team and train support staff, supplement and check lesson plans and train and monitor staff and program participants (ages 9yrs old and older) on the proper use of GPS equipment.

The ideal candidate will be at least 18 yrs old, with 1 year of Geocaching experience and the ability to setup a cache onsite. Flexible schedules are available so you may work as many or as few weeks as you would like. Positions are available at Locust Shade Park, Lake Ridge Park and Veteran's Park. Must be able to pass a background check. In addition to excellent pay - $12.50 - $15/hr - we offer free or reduced rate access to our parks and facilities (some restrictions apply).

For more information, please email mpope@pwcparks.org or visit us and apply online at www.pwcparks.org.

The Prince William County Park Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in our workforce.

The Prince William County VA Park Authority is currently recruiting candidates to coordinate and implement a year-round outdoor adventure in Geocaching as a part of our new environmental studies program! Join our team and train support staff, supplement and check lesson plans and train and monitor staff and program participants (ages 9yrs old and older) on the proper use of GPS equipment.

The ideal candidate will be at least 18 yrs old, with 1 year of Geocaching experience and the ability to setup a cache onsite. Flexible schedules are available so you may work as many or as few weeks as you would like. Positions are available at Locust Shade Park, Lake Ridge Park and Veteran's Park. Must be able to pass a background check. In addition to excellent pay - $12.50 - $15/hr - we offer free or reduced rate access to our parks and facilities (some restrictions apply).

For more information, please email mpope@pwcparks.org or visit us and apply online at www.pwcparks.org.

The Prince William County Park Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in our workforce.

Fantastic interface with the public!

If i Weren't few thousand miles away, i would definately go for this job.

Geocaching is awesome and chance to teach it is one big pleasure!!! how to get in this vacancie if i am so far??? :)

Wow, if I weren't a few hundred miles away I'd totally jump at a chance like that. I think, on my list of dream jobs, 'geocaching instructor' would appear very high up. Good luck with your program!

Looks like this thread has died for a bit.

How did this program turn out?

I am a student at the University of Vermont and have been thinking about ways to find employment involving geocaching.

Recently, I have been talking with a Youth Summer Camp program in Pennsylvania about teaching kids about orienteering and geocaching. I may have an opportunity this summer to work with kids, 7-16 years old, and teach them about geocaching!

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Any other ideas?

Recently, I have been talking with a Youth Summer Camp program in Pennsylvania about teaching kids about orienteering and geocaching. I may have an opportunity this summer to work with kids, 7-16 years old, and teach them about geocaching!

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Any other ideas?

Ever heard of a little program called Boy Scouts of America? :D

They have been teaching Orienteering for years and recently started a Geocaching program.

Orienteering is typically taught to ages 11+ in Scouts but if you keep instructions at their age level you can go younger. (Never let the kids go off alone...Scouting or not, buddy system or in small groups!)

Boy Scout orienteering program: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/boysco...es/mb-orie.aspx

Orienteering book: http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDe...&item=35925

Geocaching is set up for teaching ages 7+. The teaching materials are online and downloadable just adapt where needed.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoySco...teScouting.aspx

I bought this book and my 9 yr olds love it. They read it cover to cover on the way home the day we bought it. We carry it with us now so if we run into anyone and want to explain Geocaching we have a great color reference right there.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDe...&item=34477

I'm still setting up my first lesson with a group (aside from my own twins) and I think we're going to do a scavenger hunt type of thing where once they complete all 10 they get the patch. The lesson plan on the Scout site gives you step by step instructions for a 3 cache demo.

Where in PA? That's where we're located, just outside of Philly.

BettyAnn