The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

Capeccr and I have planned an assault on Spillhaus Ridge tomorrow - all welcome. Some scrambling and exposure involved involved !

Meet at the Constantia Nek parking area @ 8:30 for those that have the day off.

Route down optional, but we currently plan to come down Nursery Ravine - can play this one by ear though.

Hi Guys. I'm moving from the Sandpit (KZN) to the Cape at the end of the year and am keen to find out more about the area with regards to geocaching.

Firstly, which geocaches should be at the top of my "to-do" list?

Then, which areas (nature reserves/beaches/etc) are more family (wife and 3 year old) friendly, which are for more experienced adventurers (trail length/terrain-wise), and which are generally to be avoided if one is not in a group?

Looking forward to your replies.

There are numerous caches which could be on your 'to-do' list.

It all depends on your level of fitness. Most of the good ones require a hike.

Let us know what you are looking for and nearer the time we can make suggestions.

We have taken our granddaughter from around two years of age to do caches in Kirstenbosch and Newlands Forest.

Will mail you with our details and you can contact us.

Those new challenge caches looks WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too difficult for my little brain - tend to avoid unknown caches due to their level of difficulty in general and I'd imagine that you'd need a very high level of fitness to find - which again, I don't have since many of them are 5-5 caches. :(

I was pretty chuffed at the new cache in Parklands on Friday - going to find that one today - and have been recking my brain in hiding caches in Parklands since there has been no hides in the Blouberg area in many, many months. I think the last one was Henzz's cache at Woodbridge Island if I recall correctly, but my level of creativity leaves a lot to be desired.

One day, one day I'll hide my first cache.

Mega Event is near

Who is going? Have you booked and paid for you air tickets? Tips on how to get the best deal? Who is driving up and has space for a passenger to share fuel costs? Train is discounted by 30 % meaning a return of about 800 and transporting a car is 5600 return so renting would be far cheaper?

Accomodation?

I do have accommodation in JHB with my brother so maybe I will just fly up and travel with him.

What are others planning to do?

I am obviously trying to be as cost effective as possible.

Cheers

Trev

I really, really, really wanna go, but I am finding that I just won't be able to afford to get up to Jozi - had some unexpected expenses - not to mention the one when I grabbed Vang 'n Veltie (http://coord.info/GC3VR91)

I know that I am going to regret it. Since it is a month from now, flights to Jozi are not going to be cheap.

Somehow I wouldn't mind a road trip, but if my last road trip is anything to go by, my friend and I paid over R2,000 in traffic fines and at the end of the day, we should of flown up.

What to do, what to do ....

~Glen

Hi

Wow, thanks for the offer !!

Paddawan and I are currently looking for accommodation - arriving Thur evening and leaving Mon morning.

We will have a hire car as we plan to D®ive the Bus plus some other stuff, if you are prepared to put up with us put us up that would be great.

Regards

Andy

Paddawan and I are currently looking for accommodation - arriving Thur evening and leaving Mon morning.

We will have a hire car as we plan to D®ive the Bus plus some other stuff, if you are prepared to put up with us put us up that would be great.

What is Drive the Bus? Sounds interesting.

I am still considering getting to PTA not sure how or where I will stay but can figure that out.

Trev

Hi

Wow, thanks for the offer !!

Regards

Andy

I also want to dive the bus - maybe we can do it together - let me know...

please inbox me your contact details.

What is Drive the Bus? Sounds interesting.

I am still considering getting to PTA not sure how or where I will stay but can figure that out.

Trev

Trev we will make a plan for you - get up here and we will sort you out one way or the other. You know mos the geocachers (especially up North...) are a friendly bunch.

Come and join us this Saturday (15 September / 12h00) at S33 52.900 E018 29.370

The Dishonorable Plunder will be doing duty again.

Scuba Steve is the name of the game.

Bring along a sense of Adventure, and come and have fun with us...

Extra Boats are welcome too...

Thus far ... Henzz , Cownchicken & Huskies...

Hey, count me in too ... I don't think I'll get an opportunity to grab these caches anytime soon since I don't have any form of floatation device.

Any chance of doing Woodbridge Island too? PieterM, I assume you haven't done that one yet?

Just saw that a 3rd Scuba Steve cache popped up this evening. The adventure gets even better.

Come and join us this Saturday (15 September / 12h00) at S33 52.900 E018 29.370

The Dishonorable Plunder will be doing duty again.

Scuba Steve is the name of the game.

Bring along a sense of Adventure, and come and have fun with us...

Extra Boats are welcome too...

Thus far ... Henzz , Cownchicken & Huskies...

How about making it a "RED AND YELLOW" mini-event in honor of Scuba Steve?

scuba-steve.jpg

might see you there!

Edited by CapeDoc

Frodo's Journey: 3 November 2012

I will be visiting Cape Town once again in the hope of securing my 2000th find on Frodo's Journey! The date is Saturday 3 November and some company (and hike leaders!) would be much appreciated. I haven't done any of the caches on route to Frodo's Journey yet, so some careful planning (and possibly some luck) would be needed to ensure that Frodo gets my 2000th smiley.

Any takers?

I will be visiting Cape Town once again in the hope of securing my 2000th find on Frodo's Journey! The date is Saturday 3 November and some company (and hike leaders!) would be much appreciated. I haven't done any of the caches on route to Frodo's Journey yet, so some careful planning (and possibly some luck) would be needed to ensure that Frodo gets my 2000th smiley.

Any takers?

Will speak to Andre. He is planning a trip up again soon.

Just need to check with the other groups who want to go up if 3/11 suits them all.

Hi folks

Can somebody please enighten me which caches form part of Frodo's Journey? Is there a list somewhere? Was hoping to see a bookmarked list or something like that, but cannot find it.

I really would like to join in, esp to do Mines of Moria, but would like to check out the cahces beforehand as I'd like to invite a friend or two.

Thanks

Hi folks

Can somebody please enighten me which caches form part of Frodo's Journey? Is there a list somewhere? Was hoping to see a bookmarked list or something like that, but cannot find it.

I really would like to join in, esp to do Mines of Moria, but would like to check out the cahces beforehand as I'd like to invite a friend or two.

Thanks

Frodo's Journey can be accessed via India Venster or for added excitement thrown in with Traverse . . . . Reverse, Kloof Corner Medium and Difficult.

I would be happy to do Mines of Moria as a separate trip if guidance required. By November the caves would be drying out nicely.

Paddy

Frodo's Journey can be accessed via India Venster or for added excitement thrown in with Traverse . . . . Reverse, Kloof Corner Medium and Difficult.

I would be happy to do Mines of Moria as a separate trip if guidance required. By November the caves would be drying out nicely.

Paddy

I was thinking of doing the whole shebang - Traverse/Reverse & the Kloof Corner caches. But I'm flexible, depending on who can make which trip.

Any takers?

Will speak to the mister if we could join. Would love to go up with you guys :D

A few years ago some South African geocachers came up with the great idea that we should host a Mega Event in South Africa. Now there is less than 2 weeks to go before we all have the opportunity in sharing the Mega Fun at the first ever Mega Event in Africa which is hosted in Pretoria, South Africa.

One of the last items on the programme of the Event is the closing ceremony of the log book at 12:00 on Sunday, 7 October 2012. Those of you that followed the Olympic Games hosted in London earlier this year may have seen during the closing ceremony how the mayor of London, Borris Johnson, handed the Olympic Flag over to the mayor of Rio de Janero, Eduardo Paes.

As organising committee of the 2012 South African Mega Event we would like to be in a position to undertake a similar type of symbolic gesture of handing over the Mega Event to the team of Geocachers who have taken up to the challenge to start organising the next South African Mega event. Geocachers in other regions of the country that want to organise the next South African Mega event are asked to kindly contact us at info@geocachingsa.com so that we can talk about the logistics of handing over the baton not only ceremoniously on 7 October 2012 but also practically thereafter.

Any takers?

Might unfortunately not be around that weekend, but if I am, I'd like to join you, so please include me in the discussions.

Frodo's walk will take place on Sunday 4th November.

Will speak to Besem regarding the time. Will be an early start as he is possibly flying to PE later in the evening.

Of course you'll be be included if you are here Hesamati!

I have managed to secure leave for the week, so there won't be any rush on Sunday. Let's hope the weather plays along.

Any takers?

The DeWet's are so in for this

Any takers?

The DeWet's are so in for this

Just a reminder that Frodo's Journey is now taking place on Sunday 4 November.

e30192c2-10a6-4706-8e9f-252f9d52fd87.jpg

Kloof Corner Difficult with Discombob

The possible route:

Traverse Reverse 4.5 Terrain

Kloof Corner Medium 4.5 Terrain

Kloof Corner Difficult 5 Terrain

India Venster 4 Terrain

Frodo's 4.5 Terrain

Please note that one needs to have a fairly high level of fitness to do these caches and a good head for heights as there is a fair bit of exposure.

e30192c2-10a6-4706-8e9f-252f9d52fd87.jpg

Kloof Corner Difficult with Discombob

The possible route:

Traverse Reverse 4.5 Terrain

Kloof Corner Medium 4.5 Terrain

Kloof Corner Difficult 5 Terrain

India Venster 4 Terrain

Frodo's 4.5 Terrain

Please note that one needs to have a fairly high level of fitness to do these caches and a good head for heights as there is a fair bit of exposure.

[/

Sounds like fun Have fun.

Edited by Team Pooky