The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

Ok, this is really taking geocaching to new heights (in more ways than one): spending several thousand rand for a GPSr to find a leaky Tupperware container full of broken McToys somewhere in the wilderness. Now to hire a cherry picker to retrieve a container on top of an old silo. What can I say ... the adventure calls. I'll be there. let's try drum up some more support to make it a bigger party to bring down the costs!

https://www.facebook...22422384598602/

Sunday 27 January Wynberg Park 8:30 am onwards

Come gather round friends and see and/or participate in placing and almost 5 star cache in a tree in Wynberg Park

Attempt one was made last night. The Eaves potato cannon aimed by De Swart Kat shot true and straight - the projectile was not heavy enough to over come the friction of leaves and limbs so will be redesigned better and heavier than before.

Attempt 1 has shown that it is feasible. Attempt 2 will hopefully be successful.

I have included a link to the FB event (you do not need to be an FB member or logged on to see it)

An early start at 8:30am will leave mean fading light will not hamper us - we were politely asked to leave the park as the security was locking the vehicle boom!

Bring a blanket and a picnic and enjoy an hour or two - if the ropes are set you will have the opportunity to ascend 20+ metres up a free hanging rope to "find' the cache and lay claim to being a co-hider. As etiquette would then dictate you would have to wait for the cache to be published and found and for the the first finder to log before logging your own (significant) achievement.

If nothing else enjoy a morning of sunshine in a beautiful park with your fellow cachers.

See you there.

Trev (on behalf of Dylan)

Edited by trevorh7000

Anyone planning to do any of the more extreme caches on the peninsula this week end? I am on call but a geocaching friend from JHB would love to do something exciting. Lets show him what REAL caching is all about! How about into the Abyss? Anyone wanting to re-do Urban toadstool (there were many if I recall)? Other Kalk bay caves? XXX extremely well hung or other well hungs? I unfortunately need to be able to do a house visit quickly and cant get deep into the mountains.

Suggestions? Offers?

Anyone planning to do any of the more extreme caches on the peninsula this week end? I am on call but a geocaching friend from JHB would love to do something exciting. Lets show him what REAL caching is all about! How about into the Abyss? Anyone wanting to re-do Urban toadstool (there were many if I recall)? Other Kalk bay caves? XXX extremely well hung or other well hungs? I unfortunately need to be able to do a house visit quickly and cant get deep into the mountains.

Suggestions? Offers?

A couple of us are doing 7 of the tough but beautiful caches in jonkershoek stellenbosch this saturday from 7am weather permitting. Your friend is more than welcome to join us. Its a predicted 8hr hike.

If not and you guys wanna do some of the well hungs on sunday, id like to join but i have no gear.

Ill follow the post!

Either option -- peninsula or Skelmbos -- sounds really good. Need to be back for the event cache on Saturday night, though. I'm sure the beer could act as an anaesthetic to all the pain from earlier in the day. Sunday also cool with me. I'll keep an eye on the forum. I don't have a facebook page, so please also keep the thread going here for the social media phobes like me.

3 little peaks Helderberg Nature Reserve on Sunday 28 July 2013!

Theres basically two options, either we get 4x4's and drive up via helderberg farm and park at the top near the Roxy cache OR we park in the reserve and walk up from there. All thoughts are welcome and there will be differences. I prefer we all stick together and tackle this as one group, BUT the option is there to start as 2 groups and meet up at a designated spot on top and continue from there to satisfy all needs ;-)

3 little peaks Helderberg Nature Reserve on Sunday 28 July 2013!

Theres basically two options, either we get 4x4's and drive up via helderberg farm and park at the top near the Roxy cache OR we park in the reserve and walk up from there. All thoughts are welcome and there will be differences. I prefer we all stick together and tackle this as one group, BUT the option is there to start as 2 groups and meet up at a designated spot on top and continue from there to satisfy all needs ;-)

The idea is to go all the way to Ps121, so logically if we start from the 4x4 parking near Roxy1 then we wont be finding the "Nature reserve" caches lower down, maybe try and squeeze in the new Helderberg lookout while returning on the contour path.

And if we start from the parking within the Reserve then we wont find Roxy1 and treasure chest, theres just not enough time in one day.

Hike to Penny's Cave with meridian hiking club and geocachers

Photo's

https://plus.google.com/photos/105115185718724242948/albums/5952292789002242401?banner=pwa

More photos on Meridian FB page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5472975993/

Some background info on the cave with link to resources for more reading

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC459D3_pennys-cave?guid=477f25a2-5d15-409f-9084-21b21d3ebc12

another interesting link (very thorough research into the whole Joshua Penny story)

http://www.historicalmedia.co.za/?p=241

Edited by the pooks

There are a bunch of new caches on Simonsberg near Stellenbosch begging for an expedition. I had let out feelers indicating my intentions to join such a party and now it seems the onus is on me to do something. Terunkie and CnC invited me on a very impromptu assault last Saturday but we were refused access by an adamant security official as the mountain was under cloud (from his angle) and he has strict instructions to forbid access to the hike under those conditions. The hike is therefore subject to the whims of the weather (not an entirely bad idea, although it would have been a beautifully cool day)

I will be doing some more subterranean research (evaluating existing interest and the weather) and post a date closer to the time. Anyone with ideas is welcome.

I was going to start the ball rolling by proposing next Saturday, but from the 7 day forcast there might once again be cloud about = risky

20140111SimonsbergWeather.png

Have been focusing my eyeball on Simonsberg and have come to the conclusion that if there is cloud about, it sits on that mountain. According to the weather guru Sat seems a little risky cloud-wise, so we are going for Sunday 19 January 06h00. Have quite a few customers already. Bring water. My cell 0827663807

Edited by the pooks

Hello Western Cape Geocachers!

Local geocacher, Jamie Behrens (familyBehrens), has been talking to Leighan Mossop, the Senior Section Ranger for the Central Section of Table Mountain National Park about geocaching in the Silvermine Reserve area. After much discussion a few ideas have been suggested for how we as geocachers can give something back to a reserve that is willing to allow geocaching to continue within it's boundaries, please see below:

- Adopt a path

- Path upgrades (requires training)

- Alien clearing using herbicide (requires training)

We are looking for a group of dedicated "pioneers" that would attend training events (CITO) and would be willing to pass on skills learned to attendees of any future events held to carry out designated volunteer work. Regular events will be held in the reserve for anyone wishing to attend and assist.

Please contact Jamie directly (familybehrens007@gmail.com) if you are interested in joining the "pioneer" group of geocachers to receive training to pass on to other volunteers in the future.

Regards,

Dave (zombieZA) on behalf of Jamie (familyBehrens)

Hey guys

What are the recommended new cape town caches places in the last 2 years or so for my visit?

As you know, I like a bit of adventure :lol:

Thanks!

Hey!

It's the 1st time there's caches on the iconic Simonsberg mountain in stellenbosch.

Knee Surgery is also a cache placed in stellenbosch taking you through a seriously amazing kloof(duiwelskloof) which only 1 team attempted so far.

Hope you find some amazing caches!

Ok here is a list of caches that I wouldn't mind doing if anyone wants to join me - and perhaps has equipment for some of them :rolleyes:

Probably best time is Easter weekend, or otherwise anytime during the week between 16 April and 4 May

Tougher hikes are dependant on the general well being of my knees at the time :unsure:

into the abyss

indiana jones and the chambers of terror

Awaken the leviathan

defending the caveman

pristine

well hung

extremely well hung

Penny's cave

knife edge

van hunks cigar lounge

Penny's cave

magic on the beach

tokai witch project - at night

The hardest cache on table mountain

Arrr!!!! Ye Scurvy!!!

general cape point cleanup

Ok here is a list of caches that I wouldn't mind doing if anyone wants to join me - and perhaps has equipment for some of them :rolleyes:

Probably best time is Easter weekend, or otherwise anytime during the week between 16 April and 4 May

Tougher hikes are dependant on the general well being of my knees at the time :unsure:

into the abyss

indiana jones and the chambers of terror

Awaken the leviathan

defending the caveman

pristine

well hung

extremely well hung

Penny's cave

knife edge

van hunks cigar lounge

Penny's cave

magic on the beach

tokai witch project - at night

The hardest cache on table mountain

Arrr!!!! Ye Scurvy!!!

general cape point cleanup

Alot of them im interested in but quite busy times ahead.

Keep posting your plans and ill try to join where I can ;-)

Hi All,

Irene (PackScouter) and I (TroopScouter) will be down in Cape Town from the 1st to 4th May 2014 and would love to join any local cachers who are planning a day of caching on any or all of those days. We have climbing harnesses and rope if needed (let us know to bring them along). We would specifically like to do challenging caches that will take us into or onto the mountains around Cape Town. Please pop me an email if we can join you. john.gaydon@standardbank.co.za

cheers

John & Irene

Hy guys I might be pretty busy this weekend, but might be able to go caching tomorrow, maybe down south to escape the marathon.

My number is 0729397482 if you are free.

Troopscouter, that sounds good, I will befree in the week, and like climbing etc, so bring some ropes along :o)

Some awareness from the International SOS travel advisory site:

South Africa: Cape Town: Spate of muggings around Table Mountain underline need to exercise caution at nature sites

Members visiting Cape Town's (Western Cape province) nature sites should adhere to basic security precautions following a spate of muggings along trails in Table Mountain National Park. Most recently, a cyclist was robbed at knifepoint on 13 February along the Tokai mountain trail on the route to the Constantiaberg radio mast. Additional incidents over recent weeks include:

• 7 February: A group of four hikers were attacked by two criminals carrying a machete.

• 23 January: Two US tourists were robbed by a lone assailant on the Platteklip Gorge hiking route. The attacker was reportedly arrested around 30 minutes after the incident.

• 22 January: A cyclist was attacked by four assailants carrying a machete on the path from the Constantiaberg radio mast to Hout Bay.

Travel Briefing

Criminal attacks targeting tourists and outdoor recreationists in the popular Table Mountain National Park are not a new threat. However, periodic spikes do occur and are often attributed to the activities of a specific criminal group. Incidents have occurred at all times of day, with criminals hiding in the undergrowth before staging an attack in an isolated location. Criminals have also been known to conduct attacks in the dark, often targeting visitors who travel to the city's landmarks for sunrises and sunsets.

The majority of attacks are opportunistic, non-fatal and are usually financially motivated; victims who surrender some cash or valuables to the attacker are unlikely to be physically harmed. On most occasions, particularly during daylight attacks, the assailant will make a hasty escape.

Travel Advice Summary

• Visits to Table Mountain National Park and other outdoor tourist sites are safest when conducted in groups and during daylight hours. Inform someone where you are going and when you intend to be back, and leave all valuables behind. Park in a designated area where possible and follow only marked footpaths.

• Remain alert to your surroundings; if you believe you are being followed, use a mobile telephone to inform someone of the situation and head immediately to a populated area or somewhere you will be visible to fellow visitors or park rangers. Store the South Africa National Parks crime hotline number in your phone. If you notice any suspicious behaviour, inform a police officer or park official immediately.

• If you are confronted, remain calm and quiet and avoid any action that could antagonise the assailant. Consider travelling with a 'muggers' wallet', containing outdated credit cards and a small amount of cash, to hand over to criminals.

• There is a risk of sexual assault, particularly to women travelling alone. Some women carry panic alarms to activate when threatened; though these may scare the attacker into fleeing, activation of an alarm can sometimes antagonise the situation, and is best used if you know you are around near-immediate assistance.

Some awareness from the International SOS travel advisory site:

South Africa: Cape Town: Spate of muggings around Table Mountain underline need to exercise caution at nature sites

Members visiting Cape Town's (Western Cape province) nature sites should adhere to basic security precautions following a spate of muggings along trails in Table Mountain National Park. Most recently, a cyclist was robbed at knifepoint on 13 February along the Tokai mountain trail on the route to the Constantiaberg radio mast. Additional incidents over recent weeks include:

• 7 February: A group of four hikers were attacked by two criminals carrying a machete.

• 23 January: Two US tourists were robbed by a lone assailant on the Platteklip Gorge hiking route. The attacker was reportedly arrested around 30 minutes after the incident.

• 22 January: A cyclist was attacked by four assailants carrying a machete on the path from the Constantiaberg radio mast to Hout Bay.

Travel Briefing

Criminal attacks targeting tourists and outdoor recreationists in the popular Table Mountain National Park are not a new threat. However, periodic spikes do occur and are often attributed to the activities of a specific criminal group. Incidents have occurred at all times of day, with criminals hiding in the undergrowth before staging an attack in an isolated location. Criminals have also been known to conduct attacks in the dark, often targeting visitors who travel to the city's landmarks for sunrises and sunsets.

The majority of attacks are opportunistic, non-fatal and are usually financially motivated; victims who surrender some cash or valuables to the attacker are unlikely to be physically harmed. On most occasions, particularly during daylight attacks, the assailant will make a hasty escape.

Travel Advice Summary

• Visits to Table Mountain National Park and other outdoor tourist sites are safest when conducted in groups and during daylight hours. Inform someone where you are going and when you intend to be back, and leave all valuables behind. Park in a designated area where possible and follow only marked footpaths.

• Remain alert to your surroundings; if you believe you are being followed, use a mobile telephone to inform someone of the situation and head immediately to a populated area or somewhere you will be visible to fellow visitors or park rangers. Store the South Africa National Parks crime hotline number in your phone. If you notice any suspicious behaviour, inform a police officer or park official immediately.

• If you are confronted, remain calm and quiet and avoid any action that could antagonise the assailant. Consider travelling with a 'muggers' wallet', containing outdated credit cards and a small amount of cash, to hand over to criminals.

• There is a risk of sexual assault, particularly to women travelling alone. Some women carry panic alarms to activate when threatened; though these may scare the attacker into fleeing, activation of an alarm can sometimes antagonise the situation, and is best used if you know you are around near-immediate assistance.

Thanx a mill!

Hi All

I have had a fire in my house. Long story about how it happened that I don't feel like sharing. We are having to rebuild. This is very time consuming.

I love placing caches, but I don't feel TMNP has a favorable relationship with geocaching and so have decided not to place caches on the mountain.

I have lost interest in finding urban caches (how many parks, churches and post offices do you need to visit??).

What I am trying to say is that my interest in geocaching has waned. Not disappeared, just waned. For now.

I am finding I am neglecting my caches that need maintaining.

I have wanted to topple Padawan as the number 1 fav point earner in the country but I have failed dismally! Well done Padawan!!

Anyone want to adopt my cache's? Particularly those needing maintenance. There are a lot of Fav Points up for grabs (including the most fav cach in the country and some caches that seasoned caches have told me are the most challenging in the country)

I reserve the right to be completely biased in my choice of who gets the caches.

CapeDoc

Edited by CapeDoc

I know for sure I enjoy your caches and challenges extremely much. And it's sad in a way to see your early "retirement" but I guess you'll still be a "locum" right ;) I'm happy to see that you're willing to pass on your "legacy" to the rest of the team to keep it alive to enable alot of future cachers the opportunity to experience it. I understand your point and think all of us are just hanging on the edge a little longer hoping for the odds to change but TMNP will probably come out on top in the end hurting our hobby quite significantly.

Capedoc - this is indeed sad news. You are among the stalwarts and respected cachers (IMHO) of the SA community.

Thank you for all you have done for the greater caching community - and I trust this will not be a long retirement.

I am sorry to hear about the fire - and I trust that this was not a major setback - I hope that the caching community can be of assistance in some way if possible?

Go well - and we trust that this is not farewell - but until we meet again?

Capedoc - this is indeed sad news. You are among the stalwarts and respected cachers (IMHO) of the SA community.

Thank you for all you have done for the greater caching community - and I trust this will not be a long retirement.

I am sorry to hear about the fire - and I trust that this was not a major setback - I hope that the caching community can be of assistance in some way if possible?

Go well - and we trust that this is not farewell - but until we meet again?

+1 - have sent you a mail