The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

Hi Discombob. I'll not be at your event on Sunday :( but please keep me posted on your plans for Rattus. I made some bold statements about it last night at Zambesiboy's event, so need to make good .... heck!

Let me know what you plan and I'll try to come along (unless something more fun comes along - like having my teeth pulled.. without pain meds...while having needles stuck into my eyes)

Oh boy ...

West Coast trip the long weekend of 27 April to 1st May 2012.

We are going once again to Hondeklipbaai and than back to Cape Town along the sea.

We will be leaving early on Friday 27 April and return on Tuesday 1st of May.

You do need a vehicle with good ground clearance. You need to be self sufficient.

Camping will be on or next to the beach. No cost involve.

Pm me if you interested se we can keep you informed of all the plans.

West Coast trip the long weekend of 27 April to 1st May 2012.

We are going once again to Hondeklipbaai and than back to Cape Town along the sea.

We will be leaving early on Friday 27 April and return on Tuesday 1st of May.

You do need a vehicle with good ground clearance. You need to be self sufficient.

Camping will be on or next to the beach. No cost involve.

Pm me if you interested se we can keep you informed of all the plans.

I may be able to make it !! Hopefully I can arrange to take the Monday off, will keep you posted.

Sounds like a great trip

Here is the West Coast trip program so far.

West Coast 27 /04/2012

27/04/2012 Friday @ 05h00 Meet at N7 Wimpy Milnerton Drive via Garies, Honderklipbaai, Noup, Woodpile to Cape Nature camp 1 at S30 30 428 E17 22 837

28/04/2012 SATURDAY Cape Nature camp 1 to Agama Atra at S31 03 334 E17 42 348

29/04/2012 SUNDAY Agama Atra

30/04/2012 MONDAY Agama Atra to Duiwegat at S31 31 129 E18 03 280

01/05/2012 TUESDAY Duiwegat via Lutzville, Strandfontein, Lambersbaai, Home

Total 1300km

Edited by The Huskies

OK - shooting myself in the foot here as I am a proclaimed anti-statisterix (?) but I do note that WC caches take up the top four most favourited caches in SA. Tops is Table Mountain TB hotel with 152 finds/41 favourites, but having some insight to the inner workings of the cache-owner's brain, I suspect he had a plan. Second (39favs/133finds) is Hesamati's Stellenbosch TB hotel, which I find quiite impressive - I really did not expect this performance from a out-of-town cache. It must be said that both these caches are works of art, so all kudos to them. Third and forth are Sentinel View and Table Top Trove - both old-timers in the geocaching landscape and well worthy of a spot in the hall of fame. Maybe I should not have mentioned this as I might have worsened the immigration situation...

GPSr required. I have a highly skeptical muggle friend who, almost indicernably, is showing signs of interest in the game. This is a slow and gentle process and should be handled with the greatest of diplomacy and care. This friend has one factor which is hampering his/her progress: the possession of a GPSr. Now if there is anybody out there who has a GPSr lying lost the the bottom of a drawer and looking for a good home I (and the muggle friend) would be much obliged. It must have the following attributes:

1. it must work

2. it must not be complicated to operate (the muggle friend is challenged)

3. it must not cost the earth (the muggle friend is challenged)

Buy a donkey...

GPSr required. I have a highly skeptical muggle friend who, almost indicernably, is showing signs of interest in the game. This is a slow and gentle process and should be handled with the greatest of diplomacy and care. This friend has one factor which is hampering his/her progress: the possession of a GPSr. Now if there is anybody out there who has a GPSr lying lost the the bottom of a drawer and looking for a good home I (and the muggle friend) would be much obliged. It must have the following attributes:

1. it must work

2. it must not be complicated to operate (the muggle friend is challenged)

3. it must not cost the earth (the muggle friend is challenged)

Buy a donkey...

Try getting hold of Discombob. He helped me get started with a Garmin eTrex for about R500, and he may have a lead for you. That way you'll know it works - otherwise try a Gumtree search (you might get lucky on price, but you'll not be guaranteed that it'll be any good...!?).

Wouldn't it be grand to walk on the mountain with the one who is a long way from home, before he goes an even further way from home?

Yes, there's an event cache on Saturday, but that's sitting around talking. Not up on the mountain, taking geocaching to the edge.

So how about doing "Not For The Faint Hearted" as a group adieu-in-action sometime over the next three weeks? It seems, with that title, inappropriate to be left undone.

I think Zambesiboy may have a posse of his own standing by to do it, but by making it public here, I want to say "me too!" and invite anyone else to join and propose dates. This Saturday 2 June the weather predictions look good - maybe possible to do the hike in the morning before the event? Otherwise Sunday too no rain predicted yet.

FollowThatRainbow - 0.8m from home!

So how about doing "Not For The Faint Hearted" as a group adieu-in-action sometime over the next three weeks? It seems, with that title, inappropriate to be left undone.

I think Zambesiboy may have a posse of his own standing by to do it, but by making it public here, I want to say "me too!" and invite anyone else to join and propose dates. This Saturday 2 June the weather predictions look good - maybe possible to do the hike in the morning before the event? Otherwise Sunday too no rain predicted yet.

I was thinking exactly the same thing (great minds?). Sunday would be fantastic if possible.

Last time we were on the mountain before an "unofficial" event, things didn't work out too lekker, and we only got to the event about 6 hours late... (Remember Big Head?)

I'm sure Zambesiboy would not want to be late for his Adiue Event..

So I'm edging towards Sunday...

It looks like the hike is on!

8am this Sunday morning 3 June, meeting on Tafelberg Road at the bottom of Platteklip.

So far it's Zambesiboy, Paddawan, Henzz, AndyT1 (if all goes to plan - I hope it does!), Cism (quite possibly) and FollowThatRainbow.

Great. See you there. Looking forward to it.

Who's up for another Cape Doc event with a difference?

This time its going to be

- a return train trip from Cape Town station to Simonstown.

- a submarine tour

- and a meal at Harbour View. You will get a R60 meal voucher for lunch.

Total cost per person for the above will be about R55

Who is keen? What dates? (Next 3 months only please).

No booking places here or with me AT ALL! Places will be determined on a first come, first served basis when you log a "Will Attend" on the event page. I have 16 places, all welcome for lunch though, but if you are not on the train you will not get a meal voucher.

B)

Who's up for another Cape Doc event with a difference?

This time its going to be

- a return train trip from Cape Town station to Simonstown.

- a submarine tour

- and a meal at Harbour View. You will get a R60 meal voucher for lunch.

Total cost per person for the above will be about R55

Who is keen? What dates? (Next 3 months only please).

Sounds like great fun at a reasonable price... We're always up for those. Sundays are always best for us, for this sort of thing, unless its going to be in the mid afternoon on a Saturday.

No booking places here or with me AT ALL! Places will be determined on a first come, first served basis when you log a "Will Attend" on the event page.

Hmm... now to write a script that monitors for this event notification and immediately logs a "Will Attend"...

As long as you you share the script with us all ;)

Nice idea Doc - Hope Have the faster finger when the time comes. May android notify is not working up to scratch so I will have to be sharp!!!

Trev

Fantastic idea! I assume that the 16 places are for the submarine tour only? How long would this tour be?

I can see myself bringing my wife and son along for the train trip and the lunch, but I would rather not take up any spaces "reserved" for geocachers for the submarine tour.

CapeDoc, can you confirm?

An update:

- the trip can only be done on a Saturday.

- We meet at 10am at Cape Town station

- the 16 places are for the whole trip and tour and meal. I am sure familes would be able to join for the train trip (own expence - I don't know the cost.)

- if demand is high, then spaces will be reserved for cachers only, if low, then I can be more accomodating.

- no hop on's or offs.

- cownchicken et al can have another cacher book their places for them via a "will attend" posted by that cacher. The peron they appoint must stipulate who, and how many places they are reserving.

- rules can probably be bent in many ways... :D

An update:

- cownchicken et al can have another cacher book their places for them via a "will attend" posted by that cacher. The peron they appoint must stipulate who, and how many places they are reserving.

Okay we'll appoint you to log a 'will attend' on our behalf!

An update:

Okay we'll appoint you to log a 'will attend' on our behalf!

mmmmmmmmmmm

why not have a lottery Doc - seems fairer as there is obviously a lot of interest - i cacher per team - unless as you say there is not enough demand.

Or does a case of beer cause enough bending of the rules to get me on.

Further I think I will be asleep and unable to log a will attend when the cache comes out or my phone may have a flat battery or I could be lying drunk in the gutter or my hard drive could have crashed or I may just forget so I INCLUDE MYSELF IN THE et al CATEGORY and hereby appoint you to log a will attend on my behalf

Otherwise I am going to have to polish up my technology so I get the notification on my phone immediately!!!!!

Or i'll have to coerce FTR for his auto script!!!!!

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

Or i'll have to coerce FTR for his auto script!!!!!

If I was to share the script (which I haven't written), then:

http://asterixonline.info/comics/Asterix_Comics/12/44

...so that's not a solution...

but to sort of sum up what has been mentioned: the train can take an unlimited number of people (as seen at World Cup rush hour), and the restaurant is probably good for many too, so it's just the sub tour... and there, the chosen few can descend into the iron monster while the others monitor their audio feeds and telemetry from up above on the sunny dock...

"entering the hatch now"

<breath> <breath>

"rather cramped"

<breath> <breath>

"gps all over the place"

<breath> <breath>

"oh my... it's full of stars!"

Found: Sunglasses at the Pulpit Rock (For The View...), Devil's Peak saddle.

I found some sunglasses there. It looks like it might have been a geocaching incident - taking sunglasses off, putting them down on the ground, looking under the rock, so disappointed not to find the cache that you move on without your sunglasses.

They're pretty much identical to a pair I lost in Stanford eight months ago, so I feel attached to them, but if they're yours you can have them back. Describe them for me though.

We are thinking of launching 'The Dishonourable Plunder' on Sunday again.

The weather is looking favourable.

Any cachers who would like to do: GC3NDWD Arrr!!!! Ye Scurvy!!! please contact us.

How does 9am sound to everybody?

Brian we will collect you on Sunday but will contact you before then.

Sunday is going to have good weather so looking forward to seeing all of you.

We'll meet at the cache co-ords sometime after noon and then head off to play pirates.

(Thanks Terunkie for the super photo.)

Have fun everyone - but please coordinate your oars a bit better - it looks quite untidy!! :anibad:

Edited by SawaSawa