The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

Hi all,

I happened to see this article in the Constantiaberg. The Peninsula looks like a fun place to geocache. Could anyone give me some names of memorable caches that would be worth tackling?

Thanks

All depends what is your fancy. With such spectacular surroundings, the mountain caches are the most spectacular, especially the ones with exposure and scrambling involved as that gets the adrenalin really going. There are also many less hectic hiking caches, caving specimens, puzzle caches, and some city models. Let us know your preferences and we can steer you in a direction. Looking at the favourite points and logs will also give you a good idea.

All depends what is your fancy. With such spectacular surroundings, the mountain caches are the most spectacular, especially the ones with exposure and scrambling involved as that gets the adrenalin really going. There are also many less hectic hiking caches, caving specimens, puzzle caches, and some city models. Let us know your preferences and we can steer you in a direction. Looking at the favourite points and logs will also give you a good idea.

Scrambling sounds like fun. I will definitely give some mountain caches a whizz.

Thanks for the pointers.

B

We are blessed with a beautiful mountain, with fantastic caches. It is hard to go wrong! As pooks says, it all depends on what takes your fancy. I'm less keen on risking life and limb, but 'not for the faint hearted' is one of my all time favs. There are other much more hetic climbs out there if you are in for a scramble.

In other news, has everyone seen this yet?

http://www.geocaching.com/map/beta/default.aspx?lat=43.269433&lng=-116.3887

you will need to zoom out a bit...

very interesting take on a power trail....

I learned something this week I thought I'd share. Perhaps everyone already knows, but that is the joy of forums. :D

I was trying to get into the forest around Paradise to do hidey hole, and there were a fair number of gates, but all of them were locked. I know, I can walk in from the Newlands Reservoir, or pay to get into Kirstenbosch, but sometimes I'm lazy and most of the time I'm poor. So, while trying to find an unlocked gate, I encountered a hiker coming out of the gate on upper paradise road, he taught me how to get a key.

You can get a key from the paradise mountain offices, that you can then go copy and return (free!). They are not only for residents, he said. The woman who loaned me the key said they were meant for residents, but since I went in there 'all the time' it was no problem. The offices are located on the road to Rhodes Mem, but turn left where the road turns right. The key gives unlocks at least 3 gates in the paradise 'hood. (see image). Awesome news.

662aa282-ce60-4d5a-9a67-3a3fae1f55ad.jpg

I'm returning the key in the morning, so don't run out there to get it right away :).

Does anyone else know of ways to get access to any other locked parts of the mountain?

Does anyone else know of ways to get access to any other locked parts of the mountain?

Bolt cutters?

I very much doubt that the key is for residents only - they probably just say that to try and discourage others - the residents do not own Table Mountain - nor do SAN Parks for that matter - maybe bolt cutters will be required one day.....the mountain should be free for all. I had been wondering about those gates as I grew up in Willow Road and there were not locked gates back then -the times they have a'changed!

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

Congrats to AndyT1 on your new Dive series caches along the False Bay coast - I can just imagine the frantic action of the FTF hounds deciding which way to go to get the maximum benefit!

Congrats indeed! Wish I had been there to join the hounds.

I do think though that this post is probably more suited to the Milestones forum though... With 900+ finds your 1st hide is a huge milestone!!! ;-)

Congrats to Capeccr in cleaning up the majority of the FTFs on the Dive series - sounds like Thunder might also have been a bit peeved not to have been included in the night caching?

Yes well done Capeccr for stealing the thunder (excuse horrible pun) from the Hounds of the South.

I too ventured about but gave up soon after for lack of motivation and horrible conditions. But I did find one 2nd to Capeccr and that was good enough for and worth the 60km round trip to say I had snatched a cache before Zambesiboy and the others in their very backyard!!!!

Nice series Andy which I will be back soon to complete.

trev

Yes Andy - thanks for a great series of caches which we really enjoyed doing despite being pre-empted by Capeccr (to whom maximum respect! :cry: , then :mellow: ) . . . but we do like to give others less fortunate a chance from time to time . . . ;).

As some consolation we did manage to get 3 FTFs - and we saw the amazing Comet Lovejoy which in itself was worth the early start!

Let me (and the 'Hounds of the South') wish all WC geocachers a merry Xmas :santa: and a very happy and cacheful 2012!!

Is anyone planning to attempt this series tomorrow on Boxing Day - I want to but prefer cahcing with others - especially on a series like this when I have already had 2 DNFs first time round. I'll b eup and about fairly early and should be able to fit in the 2 or 3 hours or so any time - may be some lunch in Simonstown afterwards - reply here or PM me.

Cheers

trev\

Congrats to Capeccr in cleaning up the majority of the FTFs on the Dive series - sounds like Thunder might also have been a bit peeved not to have been included in the night caching?

Yes - it would have been nice to have Thunder along with me, but he can be difficult to keep track of on a dark night. He can also be reluctant to get back in the car if he thinks the walk has not been long enough... :D

Thanks Andy, and congratulations on your first caches.

Another Traverse....reverse trip is on the go. Participants include so far: Paddawan, AndyT1 both who have done this before, Zambesiboy, and two muggle climber friends from NZ. Anyone is welcome to join. We meet just before 6am at the Kloof neck carpark (just at the start of the "pipe track". We will also be doing Kloof corner medium and Kloof corner difficult before ascending to the restaurant for a beverage and then descending in the cable car.

If anyone wants to join you need to be self sufficient with plenty water and a snack or two. Further details can be obtained from me on 021 786 1039 or 082 864 5080.

This should be the perfect end to a great year of caching.

Thanks to all for the fantastic hike yesterday - and in particular to CapeCCR and his cool calm help to some of the ladies who found one or two bits a challenge. What a great way to see out 2011. An album of pics are on FB

hope that lets you in - if not my facebook name "Phil Claire Gargan"

Happy New Year and all the best for safe caching with no DNFs.

Hi there Cape Town guys (I know many watch this thread so I will post a link to my question here as it concerns caching in Cape Town and I am in need of swift assistance):

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Guys... My apologies for being scarce - back now though! :)

I need some help from the Cape Town guys (or those who have cached CT): I have two visiting geocachers coming from JHB tomorrow and I'm keen to take them on a seriously messy journey (the likes of Rattus Maximus; Paths of the Dead; Mines of Moria)... Or just one or two epic Cape Town caches.

Suggestions from those with more experience would be welcomed

(All members are fit and wanting to get filthy if at all possible) :)

Thanks

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(reply here)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=287950

By the way, I am coming for a visit to Cape Town from 2-20 March, so if anyone wants to do some caching, that would be good!

CapeDoc, plleeeeeease can you organise another "Darkenss Beckons " caching trip while I'm there, or whoever organised that sleeping on the mountain trip in the scout hut ;o)

Otherwise, I hope to have an event cache on 3 or 4th march.

Any days preferred by anyone?

Capeccr and myself are planning on tackling Agathas Gully after work on Tuesday, time 4pm but can push it out to 4:30 if needed.

We will meet at the parking near the start of the hiking trail up Constantia Nek.

Note that some scrambling is involved, not too tough though.

There are 4 caches on the route up with a possibility of a few more on the way down.

Let us know if you plan to join us so we do not leave without you.

Mybergs Waterfall Ravine

Hi All,

So this hike is on and the plan is this:

Meet at Constantia Nek at 05:45 and then we will arrange cars and lifts to combine transport. Parking will be at the end of Farriers Way ( S 34°00.575 E018° 22.745 ) to start hopefully at about 6am or shortly thereafter. There is not that much space here to park which is why we will combine transport from Constantia Nek.

We will leave one/two vehicle/s at Suikerbossie to get a lift back to Farriers way. This then avoids the long contour path part of the walk which is a bit boring.

The temperature is set to peak at 27C which is about perfect with mild wind. A bit of rain today should clear by this afternoon.

Bring your own liquid and food. Sunblock and good shoes/boots. Guide books say 6 hours - Capedoc did it in under 4hrs but we all know Capedocs pace.

We will be early for the Disas but happy to do a second trip in a month's time when they should be out.

So far it looks like the following are confirmed:

Phil Gargan

Phil Wright (and thunder?)

Adrian and Inge Lawson

Patrick Lawson

Janice Duncan-Browne

Chris Foreshaw

Ralph Da Costa ?

Andy Taylor?

Mark Budd?

Shane Budd?

I am away at an audition this afternoon but will be home this evening.

My contact is 0828645080 or 021 - 786 1039 or zambesiboy@gmail.com

Cheers

Phil

We are planning to do the False Bay Scenic Walk in Cape Point on Saturday, 28 January 2012. We'll be starting at Smitswinkel Bay Viewpoint and end at Booi se Skerm, and log 10 or so smileys along the way. Hopefully, with a second car waiting at the end :blink:

Let me know if you are keen and then we can firm up on times and other arrangements.