The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

Hey all! I'd like to set up an event to start the brainstorming session for the proposed South African Mega Event. Gauteng's already got one coming up (GC2PK15), but before I publish it I want to gauge interest and availability. I'm thinking about 1.5 hours max, just a brainstorming session (for those interested in proving to the Gautengers that the Western Cape is the logical choice for the Mega Event!). Who can make the week of April 11-15? After work, in the evening, at the V&A Waterfront, somewhere (open to suggestions!).

Here are South Africa's most visited destinations:

According to South African Tourism the top 20 attractions in South Africa, as rated by foreign visitors on departure from the country and published in the South African Yearbook.

1.Victoria & Alfred Waterfront (Cape Town)

2.Table Mountain (Cape Town)

3.Cape Point (Cape Town)

4.Western Cape Wine Routes (near Cape Town)

5.The Garden Route (Eastern & Western Cape)

6.Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens (Cape Town)

7.Ostrich Farms (Oudtshoorn)

8.Robben Island (Cape Town)

9.Pretoria sights (Gauteng)

10.Kruger National Park (Mpumalanga & Limpopo)

11.Durban beachfront (KwaZulu-Natal)

12.Cango Caves (Oudtshoorn)

13.Drakensberg Resorts (KwaZulu-Natal)

14.KwaZulu-Natal Game Parks (KwaZulu-Natal)

15.Soweto (Johannesburg - Gauteng)

16.Gold Reef City (Johannesburg)

17.Blyde River Canyon (Mpumalanga)

18.Pilgrim's Rest (Mpumalanga)

19.Shakaland / Zulu Villages (KwaZulu-Natal)

20.Private Game Parks/ Reserves in Mpumalanga (Mpumalanga)

Six of these destinations are in Cape Town itself. While another three are in the Western Cape, just over 400km's from the City.

No other Province has so much to offer and so much diversity.

We think this speaks for itself!

SAMP Cape Brainstorm GC2QX72

Please attend and have your say.

It is important that as many Cape Town cachers as possible attend and give their point of view.

In two weeks or two months time it will be too late.

Indeed! Hope to see you all there tonight - looking forward to it!

Not sure if this is allowed or not but...... I have a Garmin Etrex legend with world basemaps loaded for sale that would be a very good starter GPS for any newbie out there. Available for any reasonable offer. I will put it on gumtree in a few days but wanted to give fellow cachers first dibs. It is a good machine and only getting rid of it as my son gave me something with a few more bells and whistles.

Not sure if this is allowed or not but...... I have a Garmin Etrex legend with world basemaps loaded for sale that would be a very good starter GPS for any newbie out there. Available for any reasonable offer. I will put it on gumtree in a few days but wanted to give fellow cachers first dibs. It is a good machine and only getting rid of it as my son gave me something with a few more bells and whistles.

Whoo whooo - some serious hunting coming up then!!

Hi Phil

At an event today, one of the cachers mentioned he was looking for a second hand gps. Is this one of yours still up for grabs? I will PM you for details. Many thanks Silvia

as David kramer once said:

"Hey, whats this? A gathering of the Cape Chauvinistic Society?" :lol:

It's official - Cape Town is tops!!

News24 reported the following:

Cape Town named Tripadvisor's top destination.

May 4th, 2011

The world's best known (and most feared) customer-driven traveller advisory site, TripAdvisor has chosen Cape Town as the number one destination of the Top 25 Destinations in the World - as voted in the Tripadvisor 2011 Travelers' Choice Awards.

Chosen by a poll of actual travellers and TripAdvisor users, the annual award recognises the people's choice of destinations from across the planet. After being placed at twenty fifth in 2010, Cape Town has trumped traditional travel cities like Paris, France (placed fourth), London, United Kingdom (eighth) and Rome, Italy (seventh) to take the top spot.

Says Cape Town Tourism, CEO, Mariette du Toit-Helmbold; "We are positioning Cape Town as a challenger brand and one of the world's new and exciting cities. Cape Town tells an authentic story and captures the hearts and imaginations of a world bombarded with choice and homogeneity. The Mother City is iconic, complex and multi-faceted. As much as there is beauty, there is diversity and personality. There is still room for the unexpected and the spontaneous. This award suggests that this is what today's traveller is searching for. We are honoured to have been chosen and endorsed as the top choice by the very people who are most passionate about travel. We look forward to welcoming more Cape Town fans."

Tripadvisor described Cape Town as "glistening at the southern toe of the African continent."

and The Cape Times the following:

Cape Town is Travellers top Choice

CAPE TOWN has come out tops against cities like London, Sydney and New York in this years TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Destination Awards. TripAdvisor is the worlds largest travel site, and the awards are based on millions of opinions posted by Trip Advisor travellers.

Leading the pack of top 10 cities, Cape Town also beat Paris, Barcelona, Rio de Janeiro and Rome. In addition, Blackheath Lodge and Derwent House Boutique Hotel, both in Cape Town, were ranked 7th and 8th respectively in the "Top 10 Hotels for Service" category.

Cape Town attractions cited favourably included Table Mountain, Robben Island, Boulder's Beach

and the Bo-Kaap. Walks on Table Mountain were listed as the top attraction.

Edited by cownchicken

Cape Town named Tripadvisor's top destination.

WOW, that is impressive!! Thanks for sharing that. I use Tripadvisor and write the odd review for them.

Recently when I was congratulating a restaurant owner on great food, she specifically asked me to write a Tripadvisor review (she did not know I used it). I shows that it has got major clout and it is a fantastic accolade for our great city!!!

Link to the tripadvisor page

Edited by CapeDoc

Does anyone have the coords and clue for stage 4 of the Da Vinci code?

I did this cache a while ago and stage 4 was there, it subsequently went missing.

A cacher has contacted me, saying he will be doing it on Fri as a team building exerscise and would like to know if I can be contacted for assistance if needed.

I live and work in the area, I am prepared to check the stages and would like to replace stage 4 if it is still missing.

I tried to contact the CO a while ago on another matter but I believe he has moved.

It is a great cache, I am prepared to adopt it if possible to keep it going.

Edit: If you do have the info please mail it to me off - forum. I guess the clue is the critical bit, the coords I can get on site if necessary.

Edited by AndyT1

Yes, John-Gill has immigrated but you can contact capeccr as I believe he has taken over maintenance should be adopting the cache, although I see it is still listed under John-Gill

Does anybody know if John Gill is still active? I emailed him last week re:"training" cache but he hasn't responded so I'm not sure if he's emails are still getting to him

As I said above, they emigrated some time ago, before my time I think. They are not very active anymore, in fact their profile says they have not visited the site since mid 2010, so their email address may very well have changed and they have not updated it.

Your best bet, if you are looking for assistance, is to ask someone that has previously done the cache... you can drop me an email if you like.

I did this cache a while ago and stage 4 was there, it subsequently went missing.

A cacher has contacted me, saying he will be doing it on Fri as a team building exerscise and would like to know if I can be contacted for assistance if needed.

I live and work in the area, I am prepared to check the stages and would like to replace stage 4 if it is still missing.

I tried to contact the CO a while ago on another matter but I believe he has moved.

It is a great cache, I am prepared to adopt it if possible to keep it going.

Edit: If you do have the info please mail it to me off - forum. I guess the clue is the critical bit, the coords I can get on site if necessary.

I got the original info. Will forward it off-forum. John Gill have pretty much moved on from SA caching. Several of us have done maintenance (myself, Malo Mystery amongst others) on Da Vinci code as it is a bit of a Cape Town classic. Would be great if we can keep it going.

My apologies for confusing the issue regarding the caches owned by John-Gill. I have been minding the "Training" cache for the last 6 months or so but it's in need of some maintenance as it has some TB's in that aren't. The TB's need to be listed as missing but I can't do it as only J-G has access rights. I regard "Training" as another one of J-G's classics and wouldn't mind adopting it if nobody else is interested. I'm not sure how to go about it though, hence my enquiry

My apologies for confusing the issue regarding the caches owned by John-Gill. I have been minding the "Training" cache for the last 6 months or so but it's in need of some maintenance as it has some TB's in that aren't. The TB's need to be listed as missing but I can't do it as only J-G has access rights. I regard "Training" as another one of J-G's classics and wouldn't mind adopting it if nobody else is interested. I'm not sure how to go about it though, hence my enquiry

Just contact the TB owner and tell them it is missing and they should mark it as missing. That will solve the problem.

I regard "Training" as another one of J-G's classics and wouldn't mind adopting it if nobody else is interested. I'm not sure how to go about it though, hence my enquiry

Adoption is easy, as long as you have an agreement to do so with the current owner, as they will need to approve the adoption.

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

You can be used for both caches and trackables.

I have had a reply from Gill and hopefully you (capeccr and edkin) will be contacted over the weekend if you haven't been contacted already.

They are also eager to have the caches adopted but are extremely busy and have limited time.

If nothing happens please let us know and we can contact them again.

Hello fellow cachers!

(reposting from another thread thanks to cincol :))

I'm going to be in Cape Town soon and would love to catch up with a few locals and maybe pick up a cache or two. Do you think there'd be much interest in an event for Wednesday 1 June? I'm arriving at 10 that morning and leaving Friday morning on a bit of a trip around Africa (so excited!!).

If there would be anyone free to shepherd me around on Wednesday and/or Thursday, that would absolutely brilliant, too ;)

Cheers,

La Kedi (aka Janet)

...Do you think there'd be much interest in an event for Wednesday 1 June? I'm arriving at 10 that morning and leaving Friday morning on a bit of a trip around Africa...

I'm always up for a bit of a get together. Not sure there is enough time to publish an event, but you could give it a try and include detail of the extenuating circumstances in the reviewers note. Otherwise it may have to be an unofficial gathering :)

Two weeks are needed to publish an Event normally. But as MnCo says give it a try. The Waterfront is generally a good place to get together in the evenings. Mitchells or Ferrymans for beers etc. Otherwise the Mugg and Bean for coffee.

Generally most people are working during the week so, at such short notice there might not be too many people that could oblige.

Had you given us a shout earlier we all could have arranged to help you out.

I've volunteered to take La Kedi round the Peninsula on Wednesday ending up at the Event Cache. If anyone would like to join us there are two free seats in the car, so let me know. Recommendations for caches en route (especially Earthcaches) will be gladly accepted.

Edited by Gr8Scot

I've volunteered to take La Kedi round the Peninsula on Wednesday ending up at the Event Cache. If anyone would like to join us there are two free seats in the car, so let me know. Recommendations for caches en route (especially Earthcaches) will be gladly accepted.

I have offered to take her to do just one cache. We are going to do "Orpheus in the Underworld" on Thursday afternoon. We will be joined by one other cacher. Anyone wanting to join in the gang would be most welcome. Please let me know if you want to join.

If you want to join, please know:

- you WILL get dirty

- you will get wet

- you will need a good light source

- you will need a sense of adventure.

Hi Colin - I would love to join you for Orpheus - if it is possible to pick me up in town somewhere as I shall come in by train. Hopefully sort this out tonight at the event.

May not make the event. I will happily pick you up. Give me a call!

Orpheus is looking like fun!! :D May even be joined by Cism, if he is feeling better.

We have mushroomed into a mini event with 6 to 10 cachers going to do it.

The more the merrier!!

We are meeting at:

The end of Chelmsford Road

14h30

There a quite a few caches in the area. If you look at the Eastern Cape besides the Western Cape you will also find a few caches fairly close by.

stevo&fluff are cachers that live in Plett and perhaps you should contact them for more info.

Plett is quite safe, but it is always a good idea to be vigilant and also not to leave cell phones, laptops visible in your car.

I'm from Western Australia and will be coming over in late November early December.

Staying at Plett with my brother's wives family. Is there many caches in this area? and what is the safety like?

Im from George (close to Plett), the guys that 'cownchicken' mentioned that live in Plett would probably give better advise, but here is my take on it.

In the Plett area itself there are about 5 active caches and 2 earthcaches. (in about a 15-20km radius) One cache I would definitely recommend would be (Robberg - Cave View [GC11J3A]. Robberg itself is also home of one of the earthcaches. [GC1YF5V] definitely worth the visit and to do the trails. Then the 2 caches near Keurboomstrand are also beautifull. And Kranshoek in the Harkerville forrest [GC2AA24] is also a great Earthcache thats easy to get to.

If you are however able/willing to travel, say as far as Knysna (+- 40km) or even to George (+- 100km) , or alternatively the same distance in a different direction, you will have close to 100 caches or more that you could hunt.

How long will you be in Plett? what type of caches do you normally hunt (time spent on a specific cache)? And how far are you willing to travel? With this info I will be able to give you more specific recommendations as to which cache to hunt and which ones to rather leave.

regarding Safety: Like 'Cownchicken' said, Plett is generally quite safe, and all the caches that I have done there, are in good areas. Just dont leave valuables in your car went hunting caches. and yes, always be vigilant.

The mission: Frodo's Journey

Thursday afternoon.

Meet at the cable station. At the bus parking lot, immediatly before the cable station. As one enters the parking lot there is a path leading out, onto the mountain. Meet at the steps on that path in the parking lot.

1:45

CapeDoc, capeccr, Zambesieboy, Ralph1dc, J4pos so far...

(Brian?)

Thursday afternoon.

Just reading the listing makes me dizzy..

But with CapeDoc and Capeccr in the lead, middle Earth will be conquered.

Henzz will be there, hopefully brave as Frodo, not quivering like Smeagol.

Thursday afternoon.

Boromir said "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly."

Count me in.

When it came time for the Fellowship to leave Rivendel it was Elrond Half-Elven who said, "Do not make a man swear to walk in the dark until he has seen nightfall"...

We have booked ourselves for 7pm in Table View... Is the plan to be down before sunset?

Edited by The-Eaves