The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

What a fascinating piece of history, thanks Mr Pooks.

I think it deserves a cache somewhere along the road. If there isn't already one in progress, I'll be happy to oblige :P

Yes I'll leave it to you local Capetonians to make a plan cache-wise. I've always wondered why that strange name - fascinating story. One should ask John Maytham of Capetalk whether he knows the origins. I believe he also drives that road in the mornings.

I shall investigate a suitable location forthwith :D

Those cachers who attended the SMC Event Cache on Table Mountain will remember Nick Bennett,

(nickbennett50). The guy who arrived in the dark on the Saturday night! :)

He is also the guy respnsible for 'Knut the reindeer hunt' organised by Cape Union Mart.

He is now on another adventure - check out: www.life2thelimit.com

He is on an island in South East Asia with 9 other participants and living like a true 'Survivor'. No TV cameras or rewards for this group!

Hi All

I had an idea for a cache, but I need help. Just want to find out if anybody interested, could do it on my own.

I am sure this has been done elsewhere in the world, but how about a a"Caching for beginners" cache?

A kind of "caching 101" cache.

I envisage:

A collaborative listing from any interested cachers that gives the new cacher a list of lessons learned or tips from the more seasoned cachers out there.

Each tip would be credited to the Cacher who gave the tip or lesson.

Tips could be divided between finding caches and placing caches.

This thread could serve as the deposit point for the tips.

Then, and I would love your suggestions, the cache itself:

a multicache, with a few stages placed by different cachers. Each stage would use clues taken from the info given in the listing or from other stages in the multicache. 1st stage hidden under a OPR with further stages getting trickier.

As I said, could do it all myself, but would prefer input from others.

Anyone keen?

A multi, but not too many stages as a nooby could get frustrated with too many - urban or not? Always a problem I guess.

Not too far on a trail either so no day long hikes.

Maybe some gathering of info from different stages as even film-canisters get ripped?

My suggestion for placing a cache in the wild - make sure no fynbos needs to get trampled to get to the cache - soon a path is formed and that is what we want to avoid!

Second suggestion - If you do place one on top of a mountain or on a long hike - make sure your hints are sufficient for the cacher to find it - nothing more frustrating than hiking for a day and coming up empty handed!

I am keen to help put something together.

I like the point of having tips regarding finding caches AND tips on placements, maybe that would help prevent mugglings and other forms of cache decay.

I would think that the multi would have to cover urban as well as mountain areas because of different lessons learned regarding cache finding/placement, although a straight forward walk/hike from beginning would most likely be preferable, would it be possible? Are you set on one long multi or open to a series of individual caches, maybe linked by having an essential clue to the following cache hidden in the cache container of the preceding cache. Either way I guess all individuals would be responsible for the dedicated maintenance of their portion otherwise the whole thing would fall apart.

I think cache retrieval is just as important as cache replacement. Often over time because of the nature of the hide, the cache ends up being less and less disguised because for example rocks become scratched and scuffed, so what used to be a well hidden cache under a natural looking pile of rocks becomes a rather obvious hide under a conspicuous pile of rocks . Lessons can be learned regarding cache placement and to be cautious when replacing caches and to hide them just as they were found with everything returned as you found it.

There might be cachers that have ideas on caching areas that need help regarding containers and vice-versa - it might help if we could help each other by trading ideas or containers.

Could there be a puzzle solving portion to the cache - maybe a basic list of the more common things to look for regarding puzzles, and some of the ways of solving them? It seem many are weary/cautious/scared of puzzles and this might help open the window for them to enjoy puzzles more.

Great idea Doc...

I've read logs before of newbies that couldn't find the easiest of caches, simply because they just did not know what to look for... More often than not, they give geocaching up after 2 or 3 DNFs...

The only way to learn geocaching is to DO geocaching, it can't be learned from a magazine article...

So this practical-guideline-multi makes a lot of sense...

Count me in with this one... As the thread goes on we will obviously get an idea of how it will shape up, but I'm right behind you...

You might find some useful material here

I have certainly found this information tremendously useful when starting out. I think like finding caches, one still learns a little bit more with each hide.

It would be great to get input from other provinces, since I think each area tends to develop its own personality as a result of the efforts of local cachers.

You might find some useful material here

Aha! One of my favorite sources of info. Now perhaps we can hide a clue in these pages so that the noob gets to read them, or at least is made aware of their existence! Could create a link in the cache listing.

It would be great to get input from other provinces, since I think each area tends to develop its own personality as a result of the efforts of local cachers.

Will post in the general forums soon. Paddawan are you up for one of your sexy hides?

I would think that the multi would have to cover urban as well as mountain areas because of different lessons learned regarding cache finding/placement, although a straight forward walk/hike from beginning would most likely be preferable, would it be possible? Are you set on one long multi or open to a series of individual caches, maybe linked by having an essential clue to the following cache hidden in the cache container of the preceding cache. Either way I guess all individuals would be responsible for the dedicated maintenance of their portion otherwise the whole thing would fall apart.

One of the lessons I have learned is that urban caches often go missing! Especially when a noob is looking for it, so not keen on that idea. Want a place where they can bee dance without drawing attention.

Chain series are no longer allowed because if one cache goes missing all the caches after it cannot be found. It will have to be a multi.

Lessons can be learned regarding cache placement and to be cautious when replacing caches and to hide them just as they were found with everything returned as you found it.

Will add it to the cache and credit it to you.

Could there be a puzzle solving portion to the cache - maybe a basic list of the more common things to look for regarding puzzles, and some of the ways of solving them? It seem many are weary/cautious/scared of puzzles and this might help open the window for them to enjoy puzzles more.

Sure, but easy

I think some of you did the "geocache" hunt around Hermanus last year

Did it again this year, this time got lazy and did it without a GPSr. (There is very little connection to geocaching)

I can recommend it though! We had quite a blast. We paid R250 for the whole car to participate and got:

- a 10min horse ride.

- a Kayak on the Kleinmond lagoon

- a zipwire experience (Foefie slide) through the trees (3 different cables)

- to do archery

- shoot a few paintballs

- dig in the sand on a beach for a "geocoin" (paper disc for a prize)

- taste beer

- taste wine

I got lucky:

- won a whale watching trip for 2 (value R1100) ..... to go with the one I won last year because I built a puzzle the quickest

- won a Shark diving trip for two (value R2200) in the lucky draw!!

Not bad for a bit of family fun!!!!!

I archived my Noon Gun Puzzle today... I wanted to fix the cache with a new final hide, but time is not on my side at the moment. Anyway, the spot is open, and waiting for a new cache. Maybe one of you guys had an idea for a sneaky cache placement, and you needed a GZ...

With the Soccer WC coming up soon, this area should attract lots of visitors...

Any takers?

ah, now that its archived, can you let us know what the solution to the puzzle was. Had a look awhile back, but could not get it, looked interesting

Under the silver cannon that is on the listing, was a hidden away box... It contained some puzzle pieces...

Build the puzzle on site, and you would find the cache very easily nearby...

I pasted the pic onto cardboard, laminated the whole lot, and then attacked it with a stanley knife...

Before that pic became a puzzle it looked like this...

45d6886a-c031-4c62-b541-9e7754a15c65.jpg

The time has come for Besem's Grand Muizenberg Caching Spree! I will be visiting Muizenberg from 9-17 July, and I will have the days of 10-12 July available for caching. The plan so far is to spend a day doing the Silvermine caches (puzzle ridge in particular) and finally bagging Sentinel View and another day doing other caches in the area. So I have a few questions.

How strenuous is the Silvermine hike if I wish to do pretty much everything that's possible? I'm pretty sure I'll be fine on such a hike, but I'm dragging my girlfriend along, so if I need to start her fitness training it has to start now. :D Also, if anyone is interested in joining me on caching trips during those three days it would be awesome.

Also, how feasible is it to walk from Kalkbay train station up to do the cluster of caches around Echo's Edge (GC1Z4PE)? So many caches, so little time! Of course, I prefer quality over quantity, so any suggestions in that regard would be most welcome. I enjoyed the few Cism puzzles I have done to date - I like puzzles and good multis, so there's also the option to go on a Cism cache spree. :laughing:

Anyway, looking forward to my WC visit.

How strenuous is the Silvermine hike if I wish to do pretty much everything that's possible? I'm pretty sure I'll be fine on such a hike, but I'm dragging my girlfriend along, so if I need to start her fitness training it has to start now. :D Also, if anyone is interested in joining me on caching trips during those three days it would be awesome.

I think is is a fairly exhausting hike but doable as a full day hike, starting in the parking lot and working your way up the ridge, to the top of Constantiaberg (Elephant's Protology is a must), then down to Sentinel View and round Skyline Path to Noordhoek View and back to the parking lot. I have not done Earth, Wind, Fire, Water yet, so not sure how long that would take (Doc?). I reckon you will be pretty knackered by then even with reasonable fitness.

Also, how feasible is it to walk from Kalkbay train station up to do the cluster of caches around Echo's Edge (GC1Z4PE)? So many caches, so little time! Of course, I prefer quality over quantity, so any suggestions in that regard would be most welcome. I enjoyed the few Cism puzzles I have done to date - I like puzzles and good multis, so there's also the option to go on a Cism cache spree. :laughing:

Also possible and certainly Paths of the Dead and Mines of Moria are well worth doing. Another full day is up through Spes Bona Forest, to the Amphitheatre, tackle B&F Stonewatch, ET in a garden, then head back to Megaliths (you could do Clovelly Ridge, but it is a quite a down and up again to get across there), then onto Megaliths, Paths of the Dead, Crows nest, Mines of Moria and down Echo Valley. Again a fairly exhausting walk.

I think is is a fairly exhausting hike but doable as a full day hike, starting in the parking lot and working your way up the ridge, to the top of Constantiaberg (Elephant's Protology is a must), then down to Sentinel View and round Skyline Path to Noordhoek View and back to the parking lot.

Also possible and certainly Paths of the Dead and Mines of Moria are well worth doing. ... Again a fairly exhausting walk.

Thanks paddawan! My next question would have been whether Elephant's Proctology is reachable from that side, because I've had my eye on it as well. :D I've also had a look at Mines of Moria and wanted to do it, hence the question about that area. I'm pretty OK with all-day hikes, but haven't done one in a while, so I guess I might have to hit the gym in preparation. And, of course, put in another effort for Number Crunch 2, and the new puzzle or two which I see have appeared.

If the weather is decent I might even jump in the water for a surfing session. :rolleyes:

How strenuous is the Silvermine hike if I wish to do pretty much everything that's possible?

It is quite a walk! To get up to Constantiaberg peak at a really fast pace takes about an hour, maybe a bit more. I walked the Skyline path, up from the reservoir to Sentinel View. Took us quite a while as we were finding caches along the way. About 2 hour walk, but much more if finding caches. It has also got the odd steep up and down, especially near Sentinel View. To do the whole lot will need a good level of fitness and if finding all the caches will probably take in the order of 5 to 6 hours, maybe even a bit more.

I have not done Earth, Wind, Fire, Water yet, so not sure how long that would take (Doc?).

I would guess that about an hour would be what that cache would take. But do you really want to swim in mid winter???

This might be my last post on The Fynbos Finders..

The Stormers fans might just stick me in a cache and hide me under a rock somewhere on Swartberg...

But anyway... I'll shout it out loud...

My Bloed is Blou... Well done Bulls...

0ffa766b-ae31-4cf3-833b-129bf5d62d40.jpg

The Stormers blew into Fort Orlando, but the Bull stood firm...

Beating this Bulls team is not easy at all...

But full credit to the Stormers team...

They played like champions the whole season, and deserved their place in the Final...

With these two teams we can throw a Springbok team together that can scare the living daylights out of any Rugby playing Nation on this Planet... Can't wait.

It is quite a walk! [...] To do the whole lot will need a good level of fitness and if finding all the caches will probably take in the order of 5 to 6 hours, maybe even a bit more.

Thanks for the info, Doc. I reckon I'll start some fitness training with my maintenance run of my own caches on the little koppie (by WC standards...). B) I can always do the bunch of caches over two days if need be. Then, on another note, there's that overdue cuppa that needs to be scheduled... :laughing:

It is quite a walk! [...] To do the whole lot will need a good level of fitness and if finding all the caches will probably take in the order of 5 to 6 hours, maybe even a bit more.

Thanks for the info, Doc. I reckon I'll start some fitness training with my maintenance run of my own caches on the little koppie (by WC standards...). :) I can always do the bunch of caches over two days if need be. Then, on another note, there's that overdue cuppa that needs to be scheduled... :laughing:

Besem - what makes me nervous is not the number of caches or length of hike, but the fact that your girlfriend is accompanying you on your expedition. Now this is where we as geocachers can be treading on thin ice. You will need to dig deep into unchartered territory to come out of this victorious. Hone those diplomacy skills, and if you succeed, you can make big bucks giving master classes (with a small consideration to me, of course). I myself have tackled Puzzle Ridge with non-geocahing company and did the last bit to the Elephant's Spinster on my own...

Having said all that, the circuit from Silvermine dam to Noordhoek View and from there along Skyline Path to sentinel View and back down to the dam must be one of the most pleasant and romantic walks Cape Town has to offer. Hide in your backpack (along with your GPSr) a bottle of bubbly, with some Blue Brie and Carr's water biscuits and you might just on to a winner.

Good luck.

Besem - what makes me nervous is not the number of caches or length of hike, but the fact that your girlfriend is accompanying you on your expedition. Now this is where we as geocachers can be treading on thin ice. You will need to dig deep into unchartered territory to come out of this victorious. Hone those diplomacy skills, and if you succeed, you can make big bucks giving master classes (with a small consideration to me, of course). I myself have tackled Puzzle Ridge with non-geocahing company and did the last bit to the Elephant's Spinster on my own...

I've already gotten into a bit of trouble, and I'm not even in the Western Cape yet. I've been very subtly placing words like "fitness" and "endurance training" in various sentences, and now I'm being accused of calling her fat. Upon explanation, the accusation changed to not having any faith in her at all. I might have to swap the bubbly stuff for some sparkly stuff set in platinum if I want to make it down the mountain alive! :)

It's a brave new world.... we now have local street view on Google Maps and Google Earth.

I'm guessing that now we'll have to start getting more creative with virtual stages of multicaches, to avoid people doing the stages virtually :unsure:

Edited by MnCo
It's a brave new world.... we now have local street view on Google Maps and Google Earth.

I'm guessing that now we'll have to start getting more creative with virtual stages of multicaches, to avoid people doing the stages virtually :)

Au contraire!

Now we start using Google Street view for virtual locations for multicaches.......a Google Street View puzzle!

Trev

Au contraire!

Now we start using Google Street view for virtual locations for multicaches.......a Google Street View puzzle!

Trev

Funny you should say that.... I was thinking exactly the same thing while I was driving around this morning.

I've been working on a "Google Spy" cache for some time in which I incorporated a European street view but life keeps on interrupting, so it's progressing slowly. But while this is in the open now - how many people would you think have access /use this and the Panoramio photos in GE?

I've been working on a "Google Spy" cache for some time in which I incorporated a European street view but life keeps on interrupting, so it's progressing slowly. But while this is in the open now - how many people would you think have access /use this and the Panoramio photos in GE?

I would say anyone savvy enough to be doing geocaching has "broadband" and I use the term loosely in the context of the rubbish served up by Telkom in SA. So I would say it would potentially be in the reaches of just about all cachers. There might be a few outliers who just do not have access due to their remote locations but I am sure they are few.

Go ahead with your cache!!!!!

Trev

I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to cheat their way through a cache that's their loss so don't let it spoil a new one. The whole point of caching in my opinion is to take people places they wouldn't normally go, don't know about or to show them something interesting/appealing and I don't think we should let street view get in the way of this. Just my thoughts on the matter...

Both Pooks & Paddawan told me at the "Let's Celebrate..." event cache on Saturday that they had tried, but couldn't find, Alternative road to Bot River. I couldn't resist the lure of an old forgotten pass road on the way home, so I also tried (unsuccessfully) to find it. As I was now pretty sure that it was missing, and as I had a new micro with log paper with me, I left that for others to find meantime and notified the cache owner of what I'd done.

My questions are:

1. It this considered an acceptable practice?

2. As the owner has accepted my invitation to keep the micro & change the cache description to suit the change in container, should I log this as a find?

.As I was now pretty sure that it was missing, and as I had a new micro with log paper with me, I left that for others to find meantime and notified the cache owner of what I'd done.

My questions are:

2. As the owner has accepted my invitation to keep the micro & change the cache description to suit the change in container, should I log this as a find?

I have done this myself before with "RADAR station", when I knew that I was going to be in the area and the cache was already missing. In this case it was destroyed by fire. I suppose the problem arises when multiple containers start appearing at the same location. I know trevor7000 had one like that and I remember finding the 'temporary' cache.

I think if one has the owner's permission and have restored a cache then it is definitely OK to log as a find. Thanks for replacing the container and I will definitely be back there to claim my find. It is a nice alternative route down the pass.

On a slightly different track, what does concern me is the number of deteriorating or container-less caches due to the high rate of muggling / buggling.

Another problem is full or wet logbooks which never seem to be replaced despite numerous requests. This is situation is particularly prevalent when the owner is either overseas or has left the sport and this detracts from the experience of discovering the cache.

It would be nice to have a more formal process of adopting a cache where the owner has obviously shed his responsibility and ownership; as these substandard and older caches are often in great areas and deserve to be better maintained.

Both Pooks & Paddawan told me at the "Let's Celebrate..." event cache on Saturday that they had tried, but couldn't find, Alternative road to Bot River. I couldn't resist the lure of an old forgotten pass road on the way home, so I also tried (unsuccessfully) to find it. As I was now pretty sure that it was missing, and as I had a new micro with log paper with me, I left that for others to find meantime and notified the cache owner of what I'd done.

My questions are:

I concur that caches in South Africa can do with more maintenance support by the community. We have so many great locations with many of them out of the way, and I would rather pitch in and help that have the cache neglected or not there at all.

The officially preferred way would be for a previous finder to do the maintenance after obtaining the OK from the owner. That would reduce the possibility of a second container while the original is still there. Having said that, I have on occasion volunteered to replace a cache without having found it before and then I did log it as found.

In your case, the owner is clearly quite OK with your efforts, so thanks for replacing it. Now I can also log it when next I go there.

On a similar etymological vein: When you register yourself on computer sites and forums you often have to complete a CAPTCHA to prove to them that you are human (read a distorted group of letters). What is the origin of CAPTCHA?

CAPTCHA = Completely Automated Public Turing Test to tell Computers and Humans Apart and was developed by a team at Carnegie Mellon University in USA. See wikipedia link at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA for more info