The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

OH NO!!!! Climb up there again! ;)

You don't HAVE to.....

It really isn't a tough walk. Will only take just over an hour if at a fast pace.

Hmmm......

"up there again"

..........I am going to Hermanus for the week end.......

(Oh, maybe I'll wait till you find Secret Waterfall first)

;):rolleyes::ph34r::anibad::blink::blink::ph34r::ph34r::wub:

<p>

OH NO!!!! Climb up there again! B)
OH NO!!! It has just been published! And now we have to be Proctologists! :)
What still amazes me is that the guy that originally posted those pics in his post for Sentinel View link was actually looking for the Sentinel View Cache and climbing up from Hout Bay side when he found the caves (at the summit of Constantiaberg) and realised he had climbed too high. Looking at the two cache locations the poor cacher had ascended about 300m too high (above sea level) and was about a kilometer off the mark. Compared to his hike this shouldnt take too much effort at all. Go on cownchicken - you know you have to do the elephant colonoscopy</p> Edited by malo mystery

<p>

OH NO!!!! Climb up there again! B)
OH NO!!! It has just been published! And now we have to be Proctologists! B)
What still amazes me is that the guy that originally posted those pics in his post for Sentinel View link was actually looking for the Sentinel View Cache and climbing up from Hout Bay side when he found the caves (at the summit of Constantiaberg) and realised he had climbed too high. Looking at the two cache locations the poor cacher had ascended about 300m too high (above sea level) and was about a kilometer off the mark. Compared to his hike this shouldnt take too much effort at all. Go on cownchicken - you know you have to do the elephant colonoscopy</p>

:o Absolutely correct malo mystery and except for Blackburn Ravine not too many paths going up on that side of the berg and if he did indeed use that path he would come to within 70m of the cache as well! - wonder what GPS he was using? It would have been a lot easier for the rest of us if that chap had crawled in and sorted out the poor elephant :):huh:

The Doc is concerned that he might embarrass the elephant so he enquired about it. Evidently he need not worry.

What is amazing, however, is that one of the posters (post #7) has over 1500 hides. That is a LOT of caches hidden. You've got a way to go, Doc.

PS: Your elephant investigation must me one of the most amusing listings I have seen in a long time. We can do with more humour to cheer up our lives. Thanks for that cache.

Edited by the pooks

I will be in Stellenbosch from today until Friday morning. I have a number of trackables I wish to relolcate, but there simply won't be time for geocaching on this visit to the Western Cape. If there are any cachers near Stellenbosch who wouldn't mind taking some of the coins and TBs off my hands, please contact me so we can arrange a meet! I won't be able to check the forums, so please contact me on my GC profile.

My brother picked up a rather expensive electronic storage device (made by a company that sounds as if they are in the fruit industry) on the cement road from Constantia neck leading to the back table dams. I wonder f there is a way to find the rightful owner, or if someone claims to be the owner, to confirm that they are the rightful owners.

My brother picked up a rather expensive electronic storage device (made by a company that sounds as if they are in the fruit industry) on the cement road from Constantia neck leading to the back table dams. I wonder f there is a way to find the rightful owner, or if someone claims to be the owner, to confirm that they are the rightful owners.

I presume you are talking Apple Ipod or iphone here and since you mention storage device and not phone I take it is an ipod.

Each ipod has a serial number. You can I think register this with apple so that might help -apple may have the owners details on file. Also the ipod has a name that shows up when you plug it in to your pc - often the owners name.

There might alos be pictures that give a visual clue as to who the owner is.

You could also plug the ipod in and scrounge around for a file that might identify the owner. Of course you would have to have an ipod cable (proprietary!)

Obviously you could also post a found ad in the local papers or gumtree

If you need help to connect it to a pc I have an ipod cable and would be happy to plug it in and check it out for you.

Trev

:rolleyes::D:):D We had a fantastic walk! In the end we were a party of 8, 5 cachers and 3 muggles. Thanks all for coming along, sorry to all who couldn't make it.

IMG_4129.JPGhttp://lh4.ggpht.com/_3IsK-qqQCFo/SeA5Awcw...B8/IMG_4136.JPG IMG_4141.JPGhttp://lh6.ggpht.com/_3IsK-qqQCFo/SeA40RAk...A8/IMG_4125.JPG.

Thanks Pooks for the pics! :D:D:D:D

Its that time of year again!

The Pooks has been wanting to do an epic walk, involving some of the toughest and most thrilling caches on table mountain. Reminds me of CowNChicken's "assault on..." walks of a few years ago.

The walk will include:

Traverse Reverse

Kloof corner Medium

Kloof Corner Difficult

Frodo's Journey

and possibly...

India Venster

The Pooks has done them all and others will probably come along who have done at least some of the routes before. It will be a great opportunity for all those wanting to do it, but feel they want to tackle it with experienced leaders.

Who's up for it? And when?

The latter half of Jan, or early Feb are good for me....

:rolleyes::D:):D We had a fantastic walk! In the end we were a party of 8, 5 cachers and 3 muggles. Thanks all for coming along, sorry to all who couldn't make it.

IMG_4129.JPGhttp://lh4.ggpht.com/_3IsK-qqQCFo/SeA5Awcw...B8/IMG_4136.JPG IMG_4141.JPGhttp://lh6.ggpht.com/_3IsK-qqQCFo/SeA40RAk...A8/IMG_4125.JPG.

The Pooks has been wanting to do an epic walk, involving some of the toughest and most thrilling caches on table mountain. Reminds me of CowNChicken's "assault on..." walks of a few years ago.

The walk will include:

Traverse Reverse

Kloof corner Medium

Kloof Corner Difficult

Frodo's Journey

and possibly...

India Venster

The Pooks has done them all and others will probably come along who have done at least some of the routes before. It will be a great opportunity for all those wanting to do it, but feel they want to tackle it with experienced leaders.

If I don't do this as part of a group effort, I will never get around to doing them. Good caches, good hiking, good company, put me down for one place please. I will fall in line with times that are convenient to others, weekends are better but not essntial if I have due warning.

The walk will include:

Traverse Reverse

Kloof corner Medium

Kloof Corner Difficult

Frodo's Journey

and possibly...

India Venster

If I don't do this as part of a group effort, I will never get around to doing them. Good caches, good hiking, good company, put me down for one place please. I will fall in line with times that are convenient to others, weekends are better but not essntial if I have due warning.

Just a caveat: this hike promises to be the most challenging Cape Town has to offer: About 7hrs and hectic exposure, and it can also be a hot day. The tricky bits are two places where your "chest" must not be too big to squeeze through and the other is about a 10m chain where you have to carry most of your body weight on your arms. I would recommend that you need some experience doing similar things before tackling this lot.

For me it is a combination of the three most exciting scrambles on Table mountain - but some previous experience would be recommended.

ah nice route!! Wish I could come along.

But be warned this route had me quivering in my boots when I placed some of them, perhaps because I was exploring the route by myself and wasn't quite sure where I was going :lol: What a silly bunt :blink:

'

The walk could be entitled "D'Bob's Tribute" seeing you placed all the caches!

Taking what D'Bob said here a little more seriously, the route is very tough in places. Some of the toughest climbs are "deep" into the expedition, making a turn around difficult and impractical.

As my shoulders have not been the greatest in the last couple of months, I am planning to do one or two "testers" or preparatory walks to make sure I am going to cope. (and perhaps a few pull ups!) Cism and I will be doing his "The Other way" (probably next Thursday pm) as it involves 2 sets of chains and should be a nice little tester. It will take about 2 hours to do. I would urge anyone inexperienced or unsure of their fitness to join us on this walk before tackling the big one. Contact me if you want to join us.

;)

Considering my "chest" (read as "belly") dimensions, and inexperience with this type of hike and climbing I think for the better of myself and all others involved that I should rather bail out on this one while I still have two feet firmly on the ground. Pity.

Hope you all have a safe and enjoyable cacheing adventure.

howzit i'd love to join the hiking party,for the practice and the big one

Cool, I will PM my details, give me a call regarding Thursday.

Sounds brilliant. Any chance of the 13th or 14th Feb? I do not think I can make the 6th/7th. I would also like to try and squeeze in a few more push-ups! :anibad:

:P Sorry, quite a big group is starting to assemble. There are already 5 or 6 cachers committed, will have to stick to the 6th or 7th. Would love you to join...

I've got that whole Thursday set aside for caching... I would love to join you guys on The Other Way... I am however still undecided on the D-Bob Tribute walk... Who knows, maybe this test run will help me to make up my mind...

Edited by Henzz

Thanks all for attending the walk up Lions Head. Don't be fooled though, on a scale of one to 10, that was probably a 5, the big one being a 10. Remember the first crack? There IS one like that on the big one...but the top is easier and there is a chain to help you.

Had a lot of fun! Sorry to run off at the end!

(Congrats to Henzz on reaching a middle age crisis age...take it out on caching!)

(Congrats to ralph1dc on 50!)

It's Dave's wifes birthday on the Saturday and as CapeDoc would well know, perhaps not the best idea for him to go gallavanting on the moutains on such a day, but if need be a plan can be made. As it happens CUMhike (local Cape Town hiking club who I have hiked with) is also going to do Grotto_fountain_cairn and Kloof Corner on the Sunday.

I enjoyed "the other way" a lot, but I have to admit that at this point in time, that that is about as much as I could handle... I'll leave the big walk to the big boys... I need a bit more practice on the "middle of the road" mountain caches before I will have the kahunas to go for the hair raising stuff...

I'll be cheering you on from downstairs, and will be looking forward to reading your logs... Wishing you all Safe and Happy hunting on the Big Walk...

I enjoyed "the other way" a lot, but I have to admit that at this point in time, that that is about as much as I could handle... I'll leave the big walk to the big boys... I need a bit more practice on the "middle of the road" mountain caches before I will have the kahunas to go for the hair raising stuff...

I'll be cheering you on from downstairs, and will be looking forward to reading your logs... Wishing you all Safe and Happy hunting on the Big Walk...

alas sad news, but better safe than sorry.

You might want to try Frodos Journey by itself as an intermediate.

Fairly challenging, but made much easier recently after the addition of some chains and rings after a dutch tourist died on the route :huh:

Of course, its always best to do this route with someone who knows the route too.

Have just heard we need to be in Aggenys on the 6th for their annual golf day, so unfortunately won't be able to make this one. Won't make it back to CT in time.

We are very dissappointed, but work comes before play, especially if it is an important client.

Maybe we persuade Mr Pooks to go up with us at a later date. :huh:

The Great Traverse Extravaganza was cancelled because of the weather - drizzly with lots of cloud on the mountain. Will re-schedule soon and keep all posted.

Edited to add: Yes, a few brave souls assembled for a final decision (Oceans247, capedoc, Paddawan and yours truly) - the weather made it quite clear (I think I'm mixing metaphors here) that we should postpone this one, so some of us went for coffee with another hiking group who were also wondering about a plan B. The croissants and coffee was good and we ended up joining the others on an interesting alternate route up Lions Head. So all is not lost.

Edited by the pooks

The Great Traverse Extravaganza was cancelled because of the weather - drizzly with lots of cloud on the mountain. Will re-schedule soon and keep all posted.

Disappointed!!!!!

Did enjoy the new route up Lion's Head though....

Edited by CapeDoc