The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

If you click "make a booking" it takes you to the Limietberg Reserve page. Booking for Tweede Tol camping. I am up for shoulder surgery, but I fully expect a cape geocacher to take home the prize. :D

89d1f46b-98a9-4494-b4df-250ccc60bb86.jpg

Ah well - you snooze you lose... I secretly was wanting to sit at the top of Bainskloof pass with a laptop at 12h00, but it felt a bit over the top and then stuff happened anyway - I was running late, tom&sons was running late and we only left Paarl at about 12h30. Got to the spot to find Tony Heher of Mountain Meanders fame and 4 friends there with the booty in hand. They were on top of the pass at 12h00 (note to self - there are some hard-core people out there). They say they only beat us by 10 minutes - maybe they were being kind. It was good to meet Tony as I have corresponded a few times about his website. For those that don't know Mountain Meanders has a fine database of GPS tracks of many hikes and walks in the Cape. Table Mountain and Silvermine are particularly well documented and well worth looking at. At least Tony is a non-geocacher.

I thought I would drop this post so that other cachers can avoid disappointment, although it is still worth it to visit the area and even stay over.

Edited by the pooks

Looking for contributions for our next newsletter and for e-maill addresses from those cachers who are still not connected to the The Cape Finds. We can not do this without you. Please help us.

In the two years that we have been trying to help the Western Cape community to get in touch with what is happening in their area, there has been precious little input from the WC community.

If any other cacher feels they would like to take over this task, feel free to contact us as we feel we can no longer carry on with this task without any input from the regulars. Many of you have done trips to other provinces, neighbouring countries, overseas and yet we still have no response.

We have to thank cachers like Bats, Larks, Tomtwogates, Anlufu,Discombob, Goofster and FishEagle - and a few others. The success of this newsletter cannot depend on those people alone.

WHERE ARE THE REST OF YOU???

Your ideas Discombob - what do you suggest?

Edited by cownchicken

We have received a few e-mails from cachers and would like to thank them for their suggestions and offered help.

What would help us tremendously is, if cache owners can let us know of:

New cachers

Visiting cachers (foreign and those from other Provinces)

Funny logs

Milestones

and of course photos! (I have resorted to poaching them from Facebook! :) and cache logs)

We cannot watch every cache and this research takes up a lot of time and results in us not always having all the info.

As cache owners you are automatically sent the logs and can pick up this info without having to go into many, many caches.

Tom, Lawrence how about a story on your respective trips? - We can use them in the next issue.

Good idea to have a general chat area, I am fairly new to this and need some advise! Found the US Army Wildbirds Geocoin that is in a race with the rest of the US armed forces.It needs to get to JHB by the end of July - what do I do, stick it somewhere and hope it gets found or take it myself as I am going - but only on the 31st . Any ideas/help?

Good idea to have a general chat area, I am fairly new to this and need some advise! Found the US Army Wildbirds Geocoin that is in a race with the rest of the US armed forces.It needs to get to JHB by the end of July - what do I do, stick it somewhere and hope it gets found or take it myself as I am going - but only on the 31st . Any ideas/help?

I think if you got into a cache by 31st July it would achieve its goal, guaranteed. Unless you put it the hand of another cacher travelling up to JHB before then, I would think it would be the best bet.

Welcome to the forums!

Nice to see a few of your logs!

Why not come and meet a few of us? I am hosting an event cache. Click here to have a look.

Those of us at the recent event cache decided to start a Cape Town / Western Cape database of cachers.

There are a few primary reasons why:

- To let others know if a walk or outing is planned. Sometimes a group will get together and take on some of the more challenging caches. It makes sense to do some of them with people familiar with the routes.

- To inform others regarding blogs, make appeals for contributions to news blogs.

- To generally increase communication among local cachers who may want to get together for more casual caching or social events.

A Facebook group has also been started, to help in a similar manner and photos be shared in a more casual way.

Please PM me for details and if you want to be added to either group. I was thinking of posting links here but felt that this may be too public a forum to be openly sharing contact details.

Edited by CapeDoc
Interesting! Can't help but wonder who is actually organizing it and if the caches they are going to find are any of the 'real' one's in the area.

It does not seem like it as they refer to an "activity" at each cahce and the retrieval of a coing from each cache leading meto believe that the cahces are independent of Groundspeak Geocaches for wantof a better word. Hover over the pins on the map and they include Guest houses locations.

Also one has to pay an extra R100 to have 2 people do activities at each location so there must be spme value add there.

All in all it looks like it could be lots of fun. Pity I won't be able to make it. SA play NZ in the morning and I will be hobnobbing at the Nederberg Wine Auction later !!!

Trev

I called them. The geocaches are containers to be found, containing "geocoins" (their own version). These are collected and are used to determine who gets what prize. The caches are completely independent of GS, one off's placed only for the day. Each location has a fun activity with it....if you do it, consider taking a wet suit. It is a day's activity then it is gone for good. More amazing race with a bit of gps and prizes thrown in.

Will be doing Swartkop 1, 2 & 3 on the weekend of 5 or 6 Sept. What would be your choice?

Anybody interested in joining us? Please let us know.

Will be camping at Gamkasberg over the KKNK - from 2/4/10 - maybe we can turn this into an Event Cache. If we have some more 4x4's joining us we can spend a night on top of the mountain. A truly memorable trip.

Edited by cownchicken

CapeDoc, keep an eye open for Family Gr8Scot in hermanus.

You will know them when you see them, I am also hoping to be there.

Hmmmm. I did the Pinelands Scout Amazing Race day with my family the other day. Although I had great fun, it did teach me that my 18month old gets a little tetchy sitting in the car all day. She is giving me second thoughts....but still may attend.

I heard on Wednesday that I will have to fly down to Cape Town for the weekend on Friday. I plan to cache the entire day on Sunday, my aim being to find all the caches within the borders of the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve. I don't even know if this is feasible, but I'm sure going to try!

Does anyone want to join me for this epic caching trip?

I heard on Wednesday that I will have to fly down to Cape Town for the weekend on Friday. I plan to cache the entire day on Sunday, my aim being to find all the caches within the borders of the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve. I don't even know if this is feasible, but I'm sure going to try!

Does anyone want to join me for this epic caching trip?

Would love to do this with you! I have done a few and they were great. I think the task is a big one! Some of the caches are quite significant hikes, but if you start early, you may do it. Sounds like a blast! Family commitments...... ;)

Some of the caches are quite significant hikes, but if you start early, you may do it. Sounds like a blast! Family commitments...... ;)

The plan is a 7am start... :)

My mouth is also watering for your King's Block House cache. I'm going to try and squeeze it in on Saturday so that if I can't finish it in one day (ambitious!), I have Tuesday and Wednesday morning to attempt a completion.

Some of the caches are quite significant hikes, but if you start early, you may do it. Sounds like a blast! Family commitments...... ;)

The plan is a 7am start... :)

My mouth is also watering for your King's Block House cache. I'm going to try and squeeze it in on Saturday so that if I can't finish it in one day (ambitious!), I have Tuesday and Wednesday morning to attempt a completion.

If you want to try King's Block House, you might want to have a little chat with one of those that have found it....and have a 3G enabled laptop with you. One of the puzzles is VERY tough without internet assistance.

hey all - looking for your input.

Just a quick question on changing one of my caches from multi to reg, thought I'd get a general opinion, perhaps from those who have done it before.

I was thinking that Good Point hardly ever gets found, and because of its driving and time needed, its not tourist accessible. (although the terrain of the final location makes it pretty inaccessible anyway :shocked: )

I would really like for more folks to visit the final cache site.

Also, one of the waypoint beacons has again been removed :blink:(

And Vespax's sailors star is now at one of the other waypoints, so that waypoint does not add annything exttra to a cachers experience (assuming its still active :(

Would the previous finders feel miffed if I changed this cache from a multi to a regular, using just the final waypoint, which means the cache and site will attract more viewers.

Should I just edit the page, or archive it and set up a new one for the regular cache?

any thoughts?

hey all - looking for your input.

<snip>

Interesting one. Besem & I were on our way to do that one, but I had to leave before the last exciting bit. I note that all the intermediate points have caches at or near them these days. That was almost useful as one could find other caches as you are doing this multi, although that can be construed as duplication. The intermediate locations are interesting and this multi grouped them nicely together turning it into a good history lesson.

It probably makes sense to turn it into a regular. If so, would it still have the exciting final approach that I have yet to do. Perhaps one could add a blurb to the "new" or changed cache, explaining what points were part of the original multi, recommend that people visit them and perhaps mention the caches there. I would think changing the cache type preferable to a new listing as the final part is still the same. It would probably attract more visitors as a regular.

Edited by the pooks

Just a quick question on changing one of my caches from multi to reg, thought I'd get a general opinion, perhaps from those who have done it before.

My personal preference is for it to be kept a multi, simply because there aren't a lot of multis in SA and I have a preference for them. (; However, in hindsight, the cache is completely findable without the coordinates simply by using your description of how to get there.

What you can change, however, to attract more visitors is perhaps to make it a short multi that starts, say, at the lighthouse, can be done completely on foot, with the last waypoint at the track that leads down to Diaz beach. If the icon is near the point itself where the visitors go, it's more likely to be looked at, I reckon.

I won't mind too much if you *do* change it to a traditional, but I don't want to see it being archived.

I would really like for more folks to visit the final cache site.

If that is truly your aim, then a regular is the way to go. On the listing you mention taking lunch and making a day of it. That puts you into the mindset of committing an entire morning to just one cache. That automatically will make it for locals only, tourists will want more freedom (and don't want to pack a lunch!) . Even for those locals, it doesn't look very kid friendly, so now dads and moms need to make plans to get away from the kids for an entire morning (that's a big chunk of any week end to be away from your kids).

Regular is the way to go.

(I will be sad, I was thinking of collecting the clues bit by bit, maybe over months or years, but would have got there in the end.)

Hi All. My first post on the forum. Does anyone know of anywhere in Cape Town where I can buy suitable micro containers? I tried the new big CUM store at Canal Walk, but they had no idea what I was on about.

CUM often stock quite a nice, cheap micro container on the "Gidget" displays. They tend to come and go, sometimes you find them, sometimes you don't.

Otherwise.....

http://www.sageoshop.co.za/

http://www.geocacheshop.co.za/

Cape Town Cachers ...

My GPS was stolen about a week back and I'll be out of Geocaching circulation until I've replaced it ...

Needless to say ... I miss my favourite toy!!

Happy caching! :D:(

Welcome to Geocaching SA

My camera was stolen a week or so ago while I was geocaching.

Jy moet wakker wees...

This weekend is the Greyton Rose Fair - a really special weekend with a huge market tomorrow, magnificent flower show and open gardens to be visited. Besides all that, there's all sorts of music events, super restaurants and quite a few geocaches to be hunted, too!

The Western Cape geocaching community will be well represented at the market - Ducky & Mucky will be making bacon & egg rolls from early morning, followed by hamburgers for lunch, while Cow - of Cownchicken fame - will be tossing pancakes, assisted by the Barking Mad team and lastly, our rather special boerewors rolls will be braaied by Tricky Vicky and Chicken while Mickey and Tiny Tigger run around selling them!

All profits will go towards primary school education in our area.

If anyone wants to come and visit tomorrow, we'd love to meet you!