Log Maximizer Script v2.2 now available

Prime Suspect

This script's basic purpose is to let you set the size of the text entry box to maximize your screen real estate. A lot of other things have been added over the years.

20081110154014mu3.png

In its latest incarnation, it has a forum-like text editor, and new in this version is the ability to add font styles and font color with just a mouse click. Also new is a second text-quote style, in addition to the email-style quoting it had before. This new style is more like what you see in the forums, with the quoted text indented and separated by horizontal lines.

There's now an insert-link button, which makes it easy to put real text links (instead of those lame "(visit link)" links) in your logs. It works pretty much like it does in the forums, except that it doesn't prompt you for the text. If you have selected some text, it will make that text into a link, and prompt for the URL. The cursor is then positioned right after the closing URL tag. If you haven't selected any text, it will prompt you for the URL, then position the cursor in the correct position so that you can type in the link text.

This version also has a off-date reminder. If the date set for the log differs from your computer's date, the date will be highlighted in yellow. A calendar button will appear to the right of the date selector. Click it to automatically set the log date to be the same as your computer's date.

You can also change the entry box font. That's the font you see when you're typing, not the resulting font. So if you want to get back that nice fixed width Courier New font that it used to have, you can. Just select the font you want to use from the font selector. Then from the "Tools/Greasemonkey/User Script Commands" menu, select the "Use Currently Selected Font In Text Editor" option. Then click OK on the confirmation box. If you click Cancel, the font will be set to the site default of Verdana. Again, this just affect the text entry box, not what the final log will look like.

Also brand new is a replacement for the Smiley Icon pop-up window. Before, you had to type or copy/paste the icon code into your log. Now, clicking the Smiley button brings up the Smiley Bar. Just click on the smiley icon you want, and it's automatically inserted into your log, at the current insertion point. If you have selected text, clicking an icon will replace that text with the icon code.

20081110154438dc6.png

The Smiley Bar always starts out hidden when you open a log. Just click the smiley button that used to open the pop-up window in order to display it.

Everything should have Titles attached to them, so if you're wondering what a control does, just hover your mouse pointer over it.

As always, this is for the Firefox browser only, and you need to have the Greasemonkey add-on installed.

Here's the installation page. Enjoy!

I installed this and the Add Waypoint Finder script and can't get either to work. Greasemonkey is installed and reports that both scripts are installed and enabled. FF 3.0.4

Is Greasemonkey active? The little monkey-face icon (with the bad haircut) in the status bar should be smiling, and in color, rather than frowning and grayed out. Just click the icon to toggle the status.

Just a quick note. I didn't like how the line spacing was removed and compressed all the top lines together. So I edited the script to comment out the stylesheet override.

//if (GM_addStyle) {
//	GM_addStyle("p { margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; line-height: .85 } !important");	
//}

Looks and works great for me now. Thanks for making the script.

I was wondering if there is a Log Maximizer for GreaseMonkey for IE (GM4IE). Right now the script only works with Firefox and not on Internet Explorer. Can you help me out here. I have tested this out in Firefox which is really cool. But no luck with IE.

Is there a GreaseMonkey for IE??

Yes! I see there is!

But really, if you have Firefox installed, when/why would you resort to using Internet Exploder?

There are a number of reasons why many FF GM scripts won't work on IE's versions of GM. IE can't interpret URI data as images. All the images that my scripts add to a page are encoded in the script, rather than having to pull them from a remote site. It's faster that way, and eliminates a point of failure. Another issue is that the script often has to traverse the Document Object Model (DOM) to access a specific element on the page. IE uses a different method to count elements than Firefox does. Firefox includes empty text nodes, where IE ignores them. So if you're looking for the 5th child of some DOM element, Firefox will give you one thing, and IE will give you a different one.

The Firefox Greasemonkey developers have gone to great lengths to make it secure. It basically plays in its own sandbox (like Java does), which prevents it from doing malicious things, and prevents other sites from affecting GM scripts. I have no idea if the IE GM developers have done the same thing.

There are a number of reasons why many FF GM scripts won't work on IE's versions of GM. IE can't interpret URI data as images. All the images that my scripts add to a page are encoded in the script, rather than having to pull them from a remote site. It's faster that way, and eliminates a point of failure. Another issue is that the script often has to traverse the Document Object Model (DOM) to access a specific element on the page. IE uses a different method to count elements than Firefox does. Firefox includes empty text nodes, where IE ignores them. So if you're looking for the 5th child of some DOM element, Firefox will give you one thing, and IE will give you a different one.

The Firefox Greasemonkey developers have gone to great lengths to make it secure. It basically plays in its own sandbox (like Java does), which prevents it from doing malicious things, and prevents other sites from affecting GM scripts. I have no idea if the IE GM developers have done the same thing.

Prime, you should settle down, raise a family, grow some crops. Corn maybe. Or rhubarb. Everyone likes rhubarb. I bet there's some money in rhubarb. Does rhubarb grow well in Dallas?

Just kidding, that post tripped my "Programmer Dork-O-Meter". (I'm a programmer too so I'm allowed to pick at him). :unsure:;)

Prime, you should settle down, raise a family, grow some crops. Corn maybe. Or rhubarb. Everyone likes rhubarb. I bet there's some money in rhubarb. Does rhubarb grow well in Dallas?

Just kidding, that post tripped my "Programmer Dork-O-Meter". (I'm a programmer too so I'm allowed to pick at him). :unsure:;)

This from the guy who rewrites javascript games so they give out cache coordinates when you win? :yikes:

Here's the installation page. Enjoy!

Hello everybody, Hello Prime Suspect,

When we follow your link, we are welcomed by an error message (or it looks like such a message) :

"Account for domain gmscripts.locusprime.net has been suspended"

Is this only temporary?

I don't believe so. That domain also hosted the evince geochecker, and the consensus in this thread appears to be that Prime Suspect, aka Prime Reviewer, discontinued the domain.