Geo Events - Smiley Etiquette

vegan freaks

We have 2 ongoing local events, one weekly and one monthly. The weekly event has the date updated and uses the same waypoint name. The monthly event is published as a new event each time with a new waypoint number. We log the weekly event once then post notes, the monthly we log every time we attend.

Keeping an event listing going on and on is a regional thing. If I lived in a region where it was common, I'd probably do whatever everyone else was doing. That you've asked suggests that some folks do one thing, and some another. Your pick. As the log type is "attended" I'd probably use it, personally. I'm a very literal person. I attended, so I'd log it that way.

On a monthly event, we normally only post an "attended" log on the first time, then post a note on subsequent visits. Curious to know what the community thinks about this.

If you attend the event each month, then it is only reasonable to claim one "attended" for each such attendance. However, there is no obligation to do so, and rather, you are free to do what you want.

And, on the reverse side of the coin, I have at times created quite a stir among event cache owners in my area, simply because of the fact that I have sometimes logged tens of thousands of "attended" smileys for a single event at which I had spent about two hours. I have done so because of the simple fact that every time a radionuclide (i.e, an atom of a radioactive element such as radon or a radionuclide of astatine, iodine, lead, radium, uranium, radium, etc.) in my body breaks down and emits a photon of ionizing radiation, it is transmuted into a different element, and thus, as a result of the breakdown of that radioactive element, my body has been entirely changed from what it had been a moment before because its basic elemental composition has been altered, and thus I become a new person perhaps two hundred times per second (see footnote #1), and thus get to claim a new "attended" smiley for each of those new instances of myself.

Footnote #1: It should be noted that my body contains a level of radionuclides that is about 18X higher than that of a typical resident of the USA, due to the simple fact that I supplement my diet of raw animal products (that is, raw pasture-fed meat, raw fish, raw eggs from free-range chickens and raw grass-fed dairy products such as raw milk, raw butter, raw cheese and raw cream) with water from my radioactive water jug (aka "radium water jug"), which dispenses water which exhibits a radioactivity level of about 180,000 pCi/L due to the presence of radon and radon progeny (aka radon daughters; they are quite hot), and I eat a lot of Brazil nuts and also spend two hours per week breathing radon gas in my own personal customized "radon gas chamber".

My personal ethic is one GC#, one smiley, but I wouldn't argue against logging these recurring events each visit. I guess my only argument is with the concept. I never got the point of keeping the same cache page for a monthly event. Each event is a unique experience and should have its own cache page.

Edited by briansnat

My personal ethic is one GC#, one smiley, but I wouldn't against logging these recurring events each visit. I guess my only argument is with the concept. I never got the point of keeping the same cache page for a monthly event. Each event is a unique experience and should have its own cache page.

I agree. Sounds like a good way to run up your smilie count. I think I will start a daily event cache and get a smilie a day! Maybe call it the Breakfast Club and have it at my local McDonald's :D

My personal ethic is one GC#, one smiley, but I wouldn't against logging these recurring events each visit. I guess my only argument is with the concept. I never got the point of keeping the same cache page for a monthly event. Each event is a unique experience and should have its own cache page.

I agree. Sounds like a good way to run up your smilie count. I think I will start a daily event cache and get a smilie a day! Maybe call it the Breakfast Club and have it at my local McDonald's :)

If you'll buy the McMuffins, I'll attend at least one. :D

On a monthly event, we normally only post an "attended" log on the first time, then post a note on subsequent visits. Curious to know what the community thinks about this.

If you attend the event each month, then it is only reasonable to claim one "attended" for each such attendance. However, there is no obligation to do so, and rather, you are free to do what you want.

And, on the reverse side of the coin, I have at times created quite a stir among event cache owners in my area, simply because of the fact that I have sometimes logged tens of thousands of "attended" smileys for a single event at which I had spent about two hours. I have done so because of the simple fact that every time a radionuclide (i.e, an atom of a radioactive element such as radon or a radionuclide of astatine, iodine, lead, radium, uranium, radium, etc.) in my body breaks down and emits a photon of ionizing radiation, it is transmuted into a different element, and thus, as a result of the breakdown of that radioactive element, my body has been entirely changed from what it had been a moment before because its basic elemental composition has been altered, and thus I become a new person perhaps two hundred times per second (see footnote #1), and thus get to claim a new "attended" smiley for each of those new instances of myself.

Footnote #1: It should be noted that my body contains a level of radionuclides that is about 18X higher than that of a typical resident of the USA, due to the simple fact that I supplement my diet of raw animal products (that is, raw pasture-fed meat, raw fish, raw eggs from free-range chickens and raw grass-fed dairy products such as raw milk, raw butter, raw cheese and raw cream) with water from my radioactive water jug (aka "radium water jug"), which dispenses water which exhibits a radioactivity level of about 180,000 pCi/L due to the presence of radon and radon progeny (aka radon daughters; they are quite hot), and I eat a lot of Brazil nuts and also spend two hours per week breathing radon gas in my own personal customized "radon gas chamber".

Shouldn't each new person log under different accounts?

Personally, I never log events as Found, since the system lumps these in with actual caches. They're not caches, they're places, and should have a separate total. So I just log them with notes.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I also reasoned that way, and I did try that route for awhile, but Groundspeak admins got rather upset with me for all the tens of thousands of new geo accounts that I had created, and they convinced me that since each new post-nuclear transmutation Vinny was only marginally different from the old Vinny, and still bore the same name and wore the same clothing and lived in the same place, etc., that I should use only the main Vinny & Sue Team account.

I also reasoned that way, and I did try that route for awhile, but Groundspeak admins got rather upset with me for all the tens of thousands of new geo accounts that I had created, and they convinced me that since each new post-nuclear transmutation Vinny was only marginally different from the old Vinny, and still bore the same name and wore the same clothing and lived in the same place, etc., that I should use only the main Vinny & Sue Team account.

This raises another question. My wife and I cache as a team, and have not yet attended any events. When a team attends, do they typically log one "attended" for the team, or one for each member?

I agree. Sounds like a good way to run up your smilie count. I think I will start a daily event cache and get a smilie a day! Maybe call it the Breakfast Club and have it at my local McDonald's :laughing:

If you'll buy the McMuffins, I'll attend at least one. :laughing:

You drive all the way from Connecticut to Virginia just for a free McMuffin and I will buy you one! :laughing:

This raises another question. My wife and I cache as a team, and have not yet attended any events. When a team attends, do they typically log one "attended" for the team, or one for each member?

1 per Geocaching.com username. Sheeeshhh this thing is getting complicated :laughing:

1 per Geocaching.com username. Sheeeshhh this thing is getting complicated :blink:

Thanks,

That's the answer I was expecting, but just thought I'd ask.

Here's a slight spin on the thread: After searching the forums extensively, I couldn't find an answer to the following question - but this thread seemed "close enough" in spirit to field this question:

What are the prevailing thoughts on logging an "Attended" smiley for an event cache that I organized - and, of course, attended and participated in?

Some additional context: The event (GC1MFT1) was in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, on my wedding day. We had a great turn out of international cachers - and a great time was had by all.

Clearly, when I hide a traditional cache - I wouldn't consider logging a find on that cache: it's just not appropriate, or in the spirit of the game. I HID the cache - that's a different stat - and as the cache owner, it's not reasonable (at least in my mind) to log a find on your own cache.

Event caches seem a bit different, though. True, I did submit and organize this event, and as such, got credit for a "hide" or placement. However - I also was a very active in participant in the actual event.

The only other event I organized, I did not log as 'attended'. However, in this case, given the spirit of the event, in seems appropriate that I should. I suppose, as both event organizer ('hider') and attendee ('finder') - there's certainly no one left to complain.

Thoughts?

The only other event I organized, I did not log as 'attended'. However, in this case, given the spirit of the event, in seems appropriate that I should. I suppose, as both event organizer ('hider') and attendee ('finder') - there's certainly no one left to complain.

Thoughts?

Some people log events they organized because they "attended". I don't subscribe to that because I like it showing cleanly that I organized it...to me, that's my log.

Doesn't matter in the grand scheme which approach you take.

Thoughts?

Some people log events they organized because they "attended". I don't subscribe to that because I like it showing cleanly that I organized it...to me, that's my log.

Doesn't matter in the grand scheme which approach you take.

That's my take. I organized it and listed it and get "credit" for it as a cache, so I log a note rather than an attended.

Of course there is nothing wrong with doing it the other way. It is an "attended" log and you attended the event, even though it was your own, so if you want to log an attended I don't think anybody will give you grief. It's a matter of personal preference.

I never got the point of keeping the same cache page for a monthly event. Each event is a unique experience and should have its own cache page.

Yup. I figure if BillyBobNosePicker is too lazy to type up a new event page to mark his new event, it's probably not going to be that stellar an occasion.

To address the other questions: If I did go to several events that incorporated the same GC number, I would only log one Attended. I always log Attended on the events I host, since I was there and participated. As there are no guidelines governing this behavior, there really is no right or wrong way to do so.