Buffalo NY Geocaching News Story

tvtech

WIVB-TV in Buffalo (channel 4) will run a short feature on geocaching during the 5PM news on Thursday, November 20, 2008. It will showcase the sport from the finder's point of view as well as someone placing a cache. There is a group of us at the station involved in caching and it got the attention of a news producer. Hopefully it will encourage some new participants in the area.

tvtech

WIVB-TV in Buffalo (channel 4) will run a short feature on geocaching during the 5PM news on Thursday, November 20, 2008. It will showcase the sport from the finder's point of view as well as someone placing a cache. There is a group of us at the station involved in caching and it got the attention of a news producer. Hopefully it will encourage some new participants in the area.

tvtech

Great to hear that, tvtech!

tvtech

There is another local TV station a couple hundred miles to the SE of Buffalo that not only did a news story but has placed a cache. See the WENY NewsChannel 36 cache.

tvtech

There is another local TV station a couple hundred miles to the SE of Buffalo that not only did a news story but has placed a cache. See the WENY NewsChannel 36 cache.

I did that cache (June 9th). I was way off and my dog got the find. He pulled it out of its hiding place and tossed it around - proud as can be.

Edited by WatchDog2020

I did that cache (June 9th). I was way off and my dog got the find. He pulled it out of its hiding place and tossed it around - proud as can be.

We originally were going to place a cache with some type of voucher in it good for a prize (you'd have to come to the station to pick it up) but assumed that geocaching.com would consider it a commercial venture and not allow it so we never pursued it.

By the way, my wife and I love the Finger Lakes area and Southern Tier. We get out that way a couple times a year and do the winery tours and generally hang out to relax. Got to love it there in the autumn.

tvtech

Edited by tvtech

We originally were going to place a cache with some type of voucher in it good for a prize (you'd have to come to the station to pick it up) but assumed that geocaching.com would consider it a commercial venture and not allow it so we never pursued it.

If the voucher was in the cache and said to come to the station to pick it up, it would have been fine.

tvtech

A little hometown caching in the spot light. Cool!

tvtech

A little hometown caching in the spot light. Cool!

I already set up my DVR. Now if I could only figure out how to turn it off so it doesn't record the Channel 4 5:00 news every day, forever. :D

By the way, my wife and I love the Finger Lakes area and Southern Tier. We get out that way a couple times a year and do the winery tours and generally hang out to relax. Got to love it there in the autumn.

tvtech

I like here too and frequently sample the local Finger Lakes wines. For those that are unfamiliar with the Finger Lakes Winery region there are about 100 wineries along the shores of several of the finger lakes (a couple of them even have caches at them) and the area produces Rieslings that rival anything, including those from Germany. The area is not quite so good for reds, but it's improved significantly over the past 5 years or so.

Oh, and to complete the Buffalo/Finger Lakes connection; my wife was born in Buffalo.