How far away have you seen a cache?

va griz

When walking up to GZ, what's the furthest away you have been when you have seen the cache? Not just known where it is, but seen a part of the container. I can think of one I saw from 30 feet away, and it could have been much more if I had approached from a direction where I had an unobstructed view.

When walking up to GZ, what's the furthest away you have been when you have seen the cache? Not just known where it is, but seen a part of the container. I can think of one I saw from 30 feet away, and it could have been much more if I had approached from a direction where I had an unobstructed view.

I think ALL caches should be seen from at least 2000 yards.....maybe more. :D

The really considerate cachers will keep this in mind when building that huge Pile of Sticks, even clearing brush that may block the view! :D

A big "arrow" made of natural materials would be helpful also but you rarely get that kind of dedication anymore. :D

I personally saw a cache once from more than a mile away. It was beautiful, a HUGE brushpile bulldozed by the county and left conveniently in a field that was zoned for a future landfill. Sweeeeeet! :D:D:D

Edited by chuckwagon101

The entire cache container (a yellow waterproof Otter box with lanyard and ferromagnetic anchor) for my Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now! can easily be seen from the lookout fence located at the edge of a bluff at a small park/monument overlooking the river and the cache hide spot, a distance of at least 550 feet. And, several prospective cache seekers report having seen the yellow container while sitting in a helicopter hovering about 400 feet away, and two have reported seeing the cache from their seats within single-engine fixed-wing aircraft from a distance of about 500 feet. I have also received one report from a person who works in the GIS/mapping world that he was able to discern the container on a high resolution commercial satellite photo of the site which he accessed via a fee-based service -- that would be a distance of at least 280 miles but of course, this sighting involved the use of expensive optical systems and sophisticated mapping technology.

About 200' feet. It was a nano cache but I knew exactly where it was going to be from the cache description as I park my car within 100' of it every weekday. Unfortunately, it's just recently gone missing.

As I have gained more experience geocaching I've learned how to estimate distances much better. I typically start looking for a possible hiding spot for a cache when I'm 200' away. If I see something very obvious about the correct distance and direction I head directly to it rather than try to follow my GPS to ground zero. Even if the cache isn't in the first place I search it's probably very nearby.

Over 200' away. As we approached, we could not believe that it was an ammo can just sitting on the side of the trail. The trail was about 10' wide with a steep hill going up on the right, and a steep hill going down on the left. NO place to hide a small size cache, let alone an ammo can. Coordinates were right on the money. While we were at the cache, 4 kids rode by on bikes, and it was obvious the trail was used often. The cache had been there a few months when we got it, and it finally turned up missing a few months later. I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Hard to say.. I know I've spotted some nearly 250 feet away. Some farther but I have pretty good vision and some hides just stand out.

One of the first ones I found could be see in a while tupperware container about 75 feet or more sitting under a downed tree in plain site. Another one was not hidden at all - just sitting there on top of the pine needles under a pine tree in full view. How lame - I guess I could have confused the entire tree with another one. So many lames caches now I can't count them all.