GeoBiking: A Place To Share Your Bike/Cache Adventures

Rockin Roddy

Hello All, and WELCOME to the GEOBIKE thread! Here, we will discuss all things biking and caching from tips on bike equipment to tales of our adventures while biking and caching! Please feel free to share any thoughts you might have, any tips or trip ideas, stories of caching adventures while biking or anything GEOBIKING!

Geobiking includes all forms of bikes...bicycles, motorized scooters and motorcycles. Whether you're new to biking or a seasoned rider, this is for you to share your experience, learn from others' or just share a tale! Please keep this thread ON-TOPIC by discussing biking and caching, there are other threads for caching only! Share all you wish, just please be ON-TOPIC!

This thread was actually started in the coin forums after the loss of my good friend and caching partner Tod (Team Rod & Tod w/KAboom...The Cachestalkers), we have a great thread there, but feel the need to expand a bit so we can discuss ALL things biking/caching! Tod was taken from us Aug 12th, 2008 when a careless driver pulled into his lane forcing Tod to make a life or death decision. Tod's bike high-sided, causing him to roll three times before sliding to the side of the road. Tod wore a "novelty" helmet and was killed instantly when his head met the pavement.

Again, welcome and I hope you all enjoy this (hopefully) ANGST-FREE therad!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

And I will kick this party off with a poem which was shared with me days after Tod's death. This poem really struck a cord in my heart and has helped me in times of sorrow, I hope it can help others as well:

THE BIKER

I saw you, hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line. But, you didn't see me, put an extra $10.00 in the collection plate last Sunday.

I saw you, pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk. But, you didn't see me, playing Santa at the local mall.

I saw you, change your mind about going into the restaurant. But, you didn't see me, attending a meeting to raise more money for the hurricane relief.

I saw you, roll up your window and shake your head when I rode by. But, you didn't see me, riding behind you when you flicked your cigarette butt out the car window.

I saw you, frown at me when I smiled at your children. But, you didn't see me, when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless.

I saw you, stare at my long hair. But, you didn't see me, and my friends cut ten inches off for Locks of Love.

I saw you, roll your eyes at our leather jackets and gloves. But, you didn't see me, and my brothers donate our old ones to those that had none.

I saw you, look in fright at my tattoos. But, you didn't see me, cry as my children were born and have their name written over and in my heart.

I saw you, change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere. But, you didn't see me, going home to be with my family.

I saw you, complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be. But, you didn't see me, when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.

I saw you, yelling at your kids in the car. But, you didn't see me, pat my child's hands, knowing he was safe behind me.

I saw you, reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road. But, you didn't see me, squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to take the next turn.

I saw you, race down the road in the rain. But, you didn't see me, get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date.

I saw you, run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time. But, you didn't see me, trying to turn right.

I saw you, cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in. But, you didn't see me, leave the road.

I saw you, waiting impatiently for my friends to pass.

But, you didn't see me. I wasn't there.

I saw you, go home to your family.

But, you didn't see me.

Because, I died that day you cut me off.

I was just a biker. A person with friends and a family.

But, you didn't see me.

Re-post this around in hopes that people will understand the biker community.

EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE US, RESPECT OUR RIGHTS TO RIDE WHAT WE CHOOSE AND TAKE A FEW EXTRA SECONDS TO BE SURE WE'RE NOT IN 'YOUR' WAY – LIVE TO RIDE . . . . RIDE TO LIVE

May you rest in peace Tod

c586747f-e11f-45f2-a4fb-9e217e093bca.jpg

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Such sad news, I heard of another biker on another website I use got killed recently by an old lady in a pickup who was high on drugs.

Myself and Rangerchuk have done a fair bit of caching by mountain bike, We are lucky enough to live in an area with alot of canal and river towpaths as well as open spaces with trails. I'd like to cache by bicycle on the Kennett and Avon canal towpath, there are alot of caches along there. The only trouble is it's muddy in the winter and full of muggles in the summer!

I must get on my bike more often actually, I'm trying to get fit!

Such sad news, I heard of another biker on another website I use got killed recently by an old lady in a pickup who was high on drugs.

Myself and Rangerchuk have done a fair bit of caching by mountain bike, We are lucky enough to live in an area with alot of canal and river towpaths as well as open spaces with trails. I'd like to cache by bicycle on the Kennett and Avon canal towpath, there are alot of caches along there. The only trouble is it's muddy in the winter and full of muggles in the summer!

I feel your pain, my friend!

My first bike/cache/camp trip was actually the trip I made to the GeoCoinFest a few weeks or so back, FUN! Tod and I had planned to make the trip, I felt the need to follow through! The trip wasn't long, but it was the first time I loaded all my camping gear onto my Kaw Vulcan 900LT Classic and hit the road. I took only the essentials of course, a tent (which I chose so I could bring my HUGE inflatable bed), bed, sleeping bag and clothes. Although the forecast was for lower 50's at night, I FROZE as the tent was NOT 3 season (like my much smaller backpacking tent). 50's my eye, it felt closer to 30's! :D I definitely need to make better plans and take better equipment!

I now know that I can safely and easily load up for any trip though, I plan to make many more in the near future!! Anyone else load up and head out on a cache/camp trip??

While on the subject of camping gear, what is the best lantern to carry on the bike for a trip?? I'm limited as to what I can carry because I'm not able to pull a trailer, so smaller is best, but function is a must! Light and heat (if needed)...but, fuel is another thing to pack??

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I'll be posting an updated picture of my geobike(s) (old). I've done some more upgrades to the KLR and have bought a new peddle bike: 2008 Jamis Durango 3 (Sweet!).

One thing I would encourage everyone who rides to do is take a MSF course and take it seriously. After riding for over 20 years I took an intermediate course with the wife--mainly to keep her company--but I learned a lot. I'm a convert and a believer. Highly recommended no matter how long you've been riding.

That said, you can't control what other people do out there. You can only control whether you're going to be in their way. I minimize the amount of time in any danger zone. One saying I come across about riding defensively is "Ride like you're invisible." It really feels that way sometimes. The terms "cagers" is used for good reason.

Here's something though on the thought of doing something dangerous. My daughter expressed concern and even a little bit of anger over me becoming a cop and both Sissy and I riding motorcycles. "It's so dangerous," she said. My answer, "I'd much rather die doing something I love or something worth while than live a safe but unfulfilled life."

Sorry to hear you've lost a friend.

Condolences on the loss of your friend.

Nice Idea, two wheel caching is a lot of fun.

CoyoteRed: I too have a Jamis Durango, nice bike , nice price, but had to raise the bars to get pressure off the hands. Also, check your brake lever housing, where the lever attaches, mine have an edge that is sharp as a knife and I did a real nasty slice on my finger one day. I had to file it down on both sides, now I never ride it without gloves.

Yep, that would be me. My primary mode of transportation for caching is the bicycle! That black pole with the red tape spiraled around it is my version of a geocaching stick. I use it for poking around in places where I dont want to put my hands looking for a cache (holes, bushes, under stumps, ect..). The red tape is to help identify it as something harmless. I once had 5 cops (2 unmarked cars and plane clothes, and 3 uniformed in 2 marked cruzers) question me because someone reported that I was carring an "assualt weapon" down the street. They searched all my stuff and tried to take apart the stick to see if it sould be used as a firearm! I guess that is what I should expect living on the "left coast"! I figure that if I make my geocaching stick look silly enough, people will not feel threatened by things they do not understand.

Edited by 1XL-on-XR650L

I've done a fair amount of my meager find total from my mountain bike, but not much from the motorcycle (1984 Honda Magna V65). I wear a full-face helmet and full gear, so it's kind of a hassle to constantly gear up and down. But the bike is easy, especially since there are several parks around my are with bike paths and caches.

And condolences to you about your friend, that is rough. Gotta wear a real helmet, people, I'd rather be safe than cool looking.

Condolences on the loss of your friend.

Nice Idea, two wheel caching is a lot of fun.

CoyoteRed: I too have a Jamis Durango, nice bike , nice price, but had to raise the bars to get pressure off the hands. Also, check your brake lever housing, where the lever attaches, mine have an edge that is sharp as a knife and I did a real nasty slice on my finger one day. I had to file it down on both sides, now I never ride it without gloves.

Post a picture if you get a chance please. I'm not sure I've seen this bke before!

My mountain bike is a GT 5.0 i-drive...I think it is a 2005? It's the last year they made the i-drives I think. The i-drive system is basically a floating crank, it moves according to your position, allowing optimal leverage even while standing or using the "jockey" stance over ruts and uneven terrain.

I also have a BoB's shocked trailer for long trips, this will hold up to 80lbs, enough to carry all the equipment you could need! I used to pull that trailer with a 50lb pack for training, 30-50 miles a day! I'll try to see if I can get a pic, but all the pictures I did have were lost when my computer crashed.

There are some Bike Geocoins that will be coming out soon, from a few different people. Keep an eye out for them in Caches, and get them moving along. It's been a while since I've done any cycling, but I used to be quite active. I'm almost ready to give up my car, and go back to it. Are any Cachers using a Bicycle as primary transportation when Caching?

Yup! This summer I used the car only one weekend the rest of it I found caches by biking to them. The farthest I went in one day was just shy of 100 miles. I managed to find close to 20 that day. Overall if I had to pick a number of miles I did this past summer on my geobike I'd say I was close to 1500 miles traveled.

There are some Bike Geocoins that will be coming out soon, from a few different people. Keep an eye out for them in Caches, and get them moving along. It's been a while since I've done any cycling, but I used to be quite active. I'm almost ready to give up my car, and go back to it. Are any Cachers using a Bicycle as primary transportation when Caching?

Yup! This summer I used the car only one weekend the rest of it I found caches by biking to them. The farthest I went in one day was just shy of 100 miles. I managed to find close to 20 that day. Overall if I had to pick a number of miles I did this past summer on my geobike I'd say I was close to 1500 miles traveled.

If I counted correctly I found 220 caches on my bike this past summer.

Upgrades include an adjustable stem (though I think I'm going to get a solid raised stem), Ergon grips, and a Thudbuster seat post. The new grips are sticky enough that I don't wear gloves. Plus, they are much more comfortable than the regular grips. I checked the brake lever housing and don't have the same issue.

This is the first bike I've owned with disc brakes or hydraulic. It took some breaking in, but they are good and solid. The discs are great for my area where it's not uncommon to ride through soupy areas and get your rims wet or muddy.

I've dropped a little over $1,000 on everything and couldn't be happier with the result. This bike is a major step up from the $100 bike I was riding. The difference in the ride was well worth it for me. I can ride faster and longer. I've been riding it exclusively for trail riding up to this point and don't have any niceties for caching on there just yet.

Upgrades include an adjustable stem (though I think I'm going to get a solid raised stem), Ergon grips, and a Thudbuster seat post. The new grips are sticky enough that I don't wear gloves. Plus, they are much more comfortable than the regular grips. I checked the brake lever housing and don't have the same issue.

This is the first bike I've owned with disc brakes or hydraulic. It took some breaking in, but they are good and solid. The discs are great for my area where it's not uncommon to ride through soupy areas and get your rims wet or muddy.

I've dropped a little over $1,000 on everything and couldn't be happier with the result. This bike is a major step up from the $100 bike I was riding. The difference in the ride was well worth it for me. I can ride faster and longer. I've been riding it exclusively for trail riding up to this point and don't have any niceties for caching on there just yet.

Just as the helmet is important for your head, gloves are important for your hands!! Should you ever take a tumble, you'll be happy to have the gloves protecting your hands from road rash (yes, even if off-road lol).

And yes, a higher priced bike is always better in the ride than those cheap entry-levels! You get what you pay for (in most cases that is)!

How many caches have you went after while riding this new bike?? And please...pictures??

I'd take a pic of mine, but it's all snowy out!

One of my early finds was a LTF - collection of a cache that was to be archived. I did it (and another) while on a 75km MTB ride: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Sgf.hyland/ph...2/gutbuster.htm

First cache just before the first summit, second cache at the second summit.

cr_sec.jpg

Uphill Downhill cache

Yes! Did this one the hard way: biked up from Garston on the way to Bannockburn as part of the Gutbuster MTB ride. Not the best of weather for the start: a good 10 - 20cm of snow meant an "interesting" hunt in the gully below the hut for this cache, charging through snow-covered tussocks. A real buzz to find it though! Took my time for the rest of the ride, just to enjoy the view. I claim LTF on this one.

- bungy cord

+ Laser pointer

Cache at the second summit (which took me a few visits to find!)

Ok! Something I know about for once!

No-Gas-Cache.jpg

More later, I'm at work right now :laughing:

Nice original Stump Jumper! What year is it? I see a bike with some collectible value here.

I'm guessing early 90's vintage. It was a gift from a friend who has since passed away. I think I got it in 1993? I really haven't done much to it other than minor mods to the shift levers, and replacing worn sprockets and derailleur rollers. Oh yeah, a softer seat too!

No-Gas-Cache.jpg

More later, I'm at work right now :laughing:

Nice original Stump Jumper! What year is it? I see a bike with some collectible value here.

I'm guessing early 90's vintage. It was a gift from a friend who has since passed away. I think I got it in 1993? I really haven't done much to it other than minor mods to the shift levers, and replacing worn sprockets and derailleur rollers. Oh yeah, a softer seat too!

Looks a lot earlier than that. Mid 80's perhaps. Early Stumpies are desirable among the vintage mountain bike community...

Visit the vintage/retro/classic section of these forums sometime. Lots of knowledge there...

http://forums.mtbr.com/

:laughing:

All of my (ten or so) non-US finds were on cycling tours. I do a lot of road riding in the summer, but its hard to stop for a cache in the middle of a century ride. And rooting around in the bushes by the side of the road wearing Lycra and cleated shoes tends to raise eyebrows.

If the weather holds, I'll be mountain biking this weekend with some non-caching co-workers, and will make it a point look for a few caches along Forbidden Drive in Philly.

Share the road---

My dear Uncle Robert Hill was killed in Tulsa, OK at the age of 72 while training for the Senior Olympics. He was hit by a 15-year-old unlicensed driver who'd run a redlight and he was thrown more than 100 feet onto the cement. His helmet was completely destroyed. His wife and children...and grandchildren...and niece, were forever hurt by a stupid girl's actions.

GPSr-Moto2.jpg

Supertrapp-side.jpg

Bicycle-bars.jpg

No-Gas-Cache.jpg

More later, I'm at work right now :shocked:

I cache occasionally with my DRZ400, but only when my hubby or my parents watch our son. I enjoyed it greatly, Better gas mileage than my Dodge Dakota, plus combining both riding and caching was awesome. I had one trip that was not as fun. I Thought I would find Rock River Falls cache GCNWXP on the bike, I wore Motocross boots and a thin riding shirt, did not bring bug dope (what was I thinking?). It was a very long walk to the falls with tons of mosquitoes, plus motocross boots are not meant for serious hiking, so I ended up with blisters and a sore calf muscle, and did not find the cache. but I still go find the caches way out in the woods or if I am by myself with the motorcycle.

I cache occasionally with my DRZ400, but only when my hubby or my parents watch our son. I enjoyed it greatly, Better gas mileage than my Dodge Dakota, plus combining both riding and caching was awesome. I had one trip that was not as fun. I Thought I would find Rock River Falls cache GCNWXP on the bike, I wore Motocross boots and a thin riding shirt, did not bring bug dope (what was I thinking?). It was a very long walk to the falls with tons of mosquitoes, plus motocross boots are not meant for serious hiking, so I ended up with blisters and a sore calf muscle, and did not find the cache. but I still go find the caches way out in the woods or if I am by myself with the motorcycle.

I try to dress like I'm going to hike. The major difference is wearing long pants. Mid height hiking shoes. Street armor. Etc. I'm not racing the bike or doing jumps. I'm getting off the asphalt and down the narrow path. When I stop, I'm ready for a hike.

Okie dokie. Here are some updated pix of the bikes. The links go to Flickr for more details.

3056708768_607e628e04_m.jpg 3055875225_c5f91da929_m.jpg

Sissy has a similar peddle bike, a Giant Iguana with RockShox fronts and a Thudbuster. Her scooter is a 2005 Suzuki Burgman 400. It has "issues" when she tries to keep up with me. It doesn't like to go slow, it over heats. Also, the very low center of gravity and the way it sits isn't very conducive to rutty, soft sand roads.

I can carry, and lock up, a fair amount of gear for caching.

...now, if I can figure out how to carry a canoe...

I cache on this

Vulcan4.jpg

and on decent trips, its in this configuration

Vulcan6.jpg

I am off on a roughly 1600km round trip to an event at the end of this month. Next year, a 6-7000km caching trip is planned.

A few extra mods have been made since the pics were taken.

Nice Nomad! I own it's little brother the Vulcan 900LT Classic and I must say, it's nice! I do wish I could hook up a trailer, but maybe next time I will buy a bike of that size. The problem being, my legs are short, so I would need to lower the darned thing a fair bit...

Half tempted to show up for Thanksgiving on the bike, it would likely worry my dad though, so I'll not add to his stress (he's not feeling well these days unfortunately)....that and the 30 degree temps stop me. Maybe I'll make it home in time to take a ride (or before heading over)! :laughing:

No pics right now since my computer crashed and I now have to start over...but at least I have a new computer!

Okie dokie. Here are some updated pix of the bikes. The links go to Flickr for more details.

3056708768_607e628e04_m.jpg 3055875225_c5f91da929_m.jpg

Sissy has a similar peddle bike, a Giant Iguana with RockShox fronts and a Thudbuster. Her scooter is a 2005 Suzuki Burgman 400. It has "issues" when she tries to keep up with me. It doesn't like to go slow, it over heats. Also, the very low center of gravity and the way it sits isn't very conducive to rutty, soft sand roads.

I can carry, and lock up, a fair amount of gear for caching.

...now, if I can figure out how to carry a canoe...

Couldn't you strap an inflatable to that? Don't laugh, there are some well made inflatable canoes out there!! Not sure of the size and weight of them though!!

Well another 80 miles in in the bag. Went out yesterday on my geobike and managed to find 10 caches in 9 hours. Temperature outside 20's to begin and upper 30's at the end.

I'll bet that was a fun trip!! Got to hand it to you, my friend!!

It's hard to tell if I'll get the chance to do a road trip next spring since my dad's really sick and money is tight, but I can dream and plan. I'm working on a trip on the motorcycle from Michigan to California with stops in Montana and maybe hitting the GS HQ!! I'd really enjoy meeting up with fellow cachers and bikers along the way, so can be swayed to making stops for those opportunities!!

Anyone with suggestions on routes or caches can email me, I might just have a reward for those who offer up ideas I use!!

If you like doing puzzle caches come to where I live. We've got plenty of them.

Although I might make it out your way, it won't be for any puzzle caches, I cannot stand most!! :P We have quite the few here as well unfortunately.

I'm looking over the maps right now, trying to figure out a good route which will afford me plenty of beauty while not being overly difficult on a motorcycle!! Since everything will need to fit on the back, I'll have to m ake a lot of plans and know pretty close where I'll be staying nights and such! No long dirt roads for me, but camping will be a MUST!!

Scenes from various caching trips on my Redline D460. Most recent trip was Parker Canyon Lake from Sierra Vista via Montezuma Pass, 76 miles and 7002 climbing-feet roundtrip. (Having the GPS along provides great stats :rolleyes: )

8fc80676-3055-47d5-bc08-82eae24bc7c8.jpg

2f1b2e80-9678-40ae-8f7c-40bb4132e0e2.jpg

92e232d4-0571-48f0-9b7c-e2763094ca31.jpg

b1ca8c4c-921a-47f4-8154-59709f339984.jpg

Mule Ears, my friend, I love the pics!! Great backgrounds and nice bike, but where's your helmet??

Mountain Bikers Unite!!!!

I'm a police officer and geocacher. After much begging on my part, my department sent me to police mountain bike school last spring. Since coming back from school, I patrol on my bike every decent (or semi-decent) day.

As a benefit, my Lt. let me take one of the training bikes (Trek 6000 hardtail) up north to Traverse City, Michigan, on one of my weekends. There are a few caches on very scenic bike paths. There absolutely is NOTHING like mountain bike geocaching on a beautiful fall day in northern Michigan (IMHO!!!). Here's a picture of my office. I took it the morning following a massive thunderstorm that hit my jurisdiction last June.

Cache Safe!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

my-summer-office2.jpg

Mountain Bikers Unite!!!!

I'm a police officer and geocacher. After much begging on my part, my department sent me to police mountain bike school last spring. Since coming back from school, I patrol on my bike every decent (or semi-decent) day.

As a benefit, my Lt. let me take one of the training bikes (Trek 6000 hardtail) up north to Traverse City, Michigan, on one of my weekends. There are a few caches on very scenic bike paths. There absolutely is NOTHING like mountain bike geocaching on a beautiful fall day in northern Michigan (IMHO!!!). Here's a picture of my office. I took it the morning following a massive thunderstorm that hit my jurisdiction last June.

Cache Safe!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

my-summer-office2.jpg

Which Torch light does that battery pack power?? I had the blowtorch and I must say, you want respect at night, this is the right series!! People would actually dim their headlights for me thinking I was on a motorcycle!!

One of my coins which is in the Todie's Wild Ride effort was logged a few days ago...this coin...http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1781343

After the cacher posted this, she emailed me asking I accept her apology for her comment as she then read the whole description and thought her comments were inappropriate. Far from the truth!! ALL riders should obey the laws of the roads, NO ONE is exempt from being responsible! When riding your bicycle, PLEASE remember that the laws also apply to YOU! Stop at signs, ride WITH traffic at all times and use common sense as well as wear all proper protective gear (helmets, gloves etc).

We all must share the roads, so let's all do our part to be responsible!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I ride this Honda Shadow VLX 600

l_241d014863d9d896b5d72cd3c2f5c345.jpg

I've taken it out to get a few caches back when the weather was warmer. By the time it warms up again I'll be really wanting to have a reason to take a long ride, so maybe I'll pick out a cache a couple hundred miles away (back roads) and go find it.

Here's a log of mine from a find earlier this year that was a Park and Grab behind a bank:

Hooray for finding a cache! Tonight I headed out to Deadman's Curve but had to log a DNF because it got too dark before I arrived. So I did a quick ride over to this one and was able to find it in no time.

While waiting for a nearby car to leave I just paced back and forth talking on my "cell phone" and Johnny Law drove up in his Gwinnett Co. pick-em-up trucks. He asked if I was waiting on someone and suggested I do it elsewhere before they get a call, and off he went. As soon as he was over the hill I made a quick grab for this one. I was able to sign it and put it back without him coming back to see if I'd heeded his warning.

This is one of those caches where I wish I knew if you'd gotten permission or not, and if so I would have told him exactly what I was doing and to move along. I hate that the cops feel that they need to run every body off that's wearing a skull pattern rag on his head, riding a motorcycle, and walking back and forth behind a bank. It's not like I'm charging people too much to take their own money out of an ATM or something.

I set a cache up just for folks to increase their MB skills from beginner to a tuffer ride - it is 3.3 miles of medium/light biking to the cache, so it CAN be done on foot. Surprizingly more people have walked it than biked it. It is in a WMA and both bikers and walkers are enjoying the cache and see lots of Wild life in WV. Don't get many logs but great comments on just about all of them. I was surprized that as many did the 6.6 miles and truely enjoyed it on foot - they claimed to be tired afterwards. I would like to do more of this, but I am very picky where I put a cache. No quickies for me!

I just started riding a motorcycle. Took the Rider's Edge course back in June, and picked up a bike in late August. It's a 1991 Honda Nighthawk 250. The previous owner hardly rode it, and the owner before that (original owner) basically kept it on the back of his RV for riding around campgrounds. Low miles, good price, and great gas mileage.

I haven't been caching on it yet. I'm still not all that comfortable fiddling with the GPS while riding, but it's something I plan on doing. I have done a little Waymarking on it, since I don't have to push buttons, or watch the arrow while riding.

f0ac8d94-087e-4e66-99f5-0cb13071ebcd.JPG

f804a8ba-cc6c-4e34-84cb-ecea3c943f40.JPG

I ride this Honda Shadow VLX 600

l_241d014863d9d896b5d72cd3c2f5c345.jpg

I've taken it out to get a few caches back when the weather was warmer. By the time it warms up again I'll be really wanting to have a reason to take a long ride, so maybe I'll pick out a cache a couple hundred miles away (back roads) and go find it.

Here's a log of mine from a find earlier this year that was a Park and Grab behind a bank:

Hooray for finding a cache! Tonight I headed out to Deadman's Curve but had to log a DNF because it got too dark before I arrived. So I did a quick ride over to this one and was able to find it in no time.

While waiting for a nearby car to leave I just paced back and forth talking on my "cell phone" and Johnny Law drove up in his Gwinnett Co. pick-em-up trucks. He asked if I was waiting on someone and suggested I do it elsewhere before they get a call, and off he went. As soon as he was over the hill I made a quick grab for this one. I was able to sign it and put it back without him coming back to see if I'd heeded his warning.

This is one of those caches where I wish I knew if you'd gotten permission or not, and if so I would have told him exactly what I was doing and to move along. I hate that the cops feel that they need to run every body off that's wearing a skull pattern rag on his head, riding a motorcycle, and walking back and forth behind a bank. It's not like I'm charging people too much to take their own money out of an ATM or something.

Nice ride! I agree, LEO could be out grabbing up real criminals but feel the need to harass bikers merely because of their looks.

My first find on my new bike came a bit after buying it, a new cache popped up while I was checking emails and it wasn't too far! KAboom and I loaded up (I in leathers as it looked like rain, poor KAboom had none lol) and headed out! Sure enough, halfway there, it started raining...hard! No stopping now, there were actually TWO new caches in the same area and we were going after them regardless!!

Got to the first one and pulled under a tree in the cemetery it was located....then saw LEO. Being off the paved roads (but not on any graves), I was worried as he approached in his SUV, he merely rolled his window down and asked if we needed any help, then took off! The rain slowed enough it wasn't bothering us much, so we grabbed the first FTF and I handed KAboom my leather vest and denim jacket for more protection before heading after the second which was in another cemetery a short ride away! Found this one just as the rain subsided, we got 2 FTFs and I was happy...KAboom?? He was just soaked lolol! Amazing what leather over-pants and a good leather jacket will do for you in inclimate weather!

While I would love to get a mount, right now, the GPS is tied to the handlebar and then velcro'd to the gas tank (the strap is only looped around the bars for quick and easy removal, the velcro does most of the work...I'd not trust just the velcro at highway speeds though)!

The title "Long Way Round" finally came available on Netflix and is being shipped today! I first read about this series on Kevin Kelly's site. There are some outtakes on YouTube which I watched and became even more interested in watching the whole series.

Exploring on a bike... ;)

Coyote, make sure you look for their sequel, Long Way Down, where they rode from John-O-Grotes in the UK, to Cape Town in South Africa. I have both series on DVD.

I have an 02 Honda Goldwing with a Garmin 2610 intergrated into the intercom. I actually found my first cache with just the GPSr on the bike, a gaurdrail cache. I plan out a 200 mi or so route, mostly small towns and recreation areas.

I also just purchased a Diamondback Wildwood mountain bike for the bike trail caches. Haven't had much of a chance to use it because I got it just before cold weather hit but caching on it is a hoot.