Whidbey Island Cache Machine

travisl

And I'm sorry to see Goose Rock and Deception View come off, as they are two of the most scenic caches on Whidbey, but agree that, while the hikes are fairly short, they do take more than 5 minutes. :D

I'm coming up the day before from Tacoma with a buddy. We'll probably do some caching on the southside of the island, but if these two are worth hitting as well, we'll go up north for them. Any other MUST DO WI caches that didn't make the cut, that I can hammer out the day before?

And I'm sorry to see Goose Rock and Deception View come off, as they are two of the most scenic caches on Whidbey, but agree that, while the hikes are fairly short, they do take more than 5 minutes. :D

I'm coming up the day before from Tacoma with a buddy. We'll probably do some caching on the southside of the island, but if these two are worth hitting as well, we'll go up north for them. Any other MUST DO WI caches that didn't make the cut, that I can hammer out the day before?

Deception Pass is a great area. Besides the two mentioned above, I recommend A Sharpe View on the Rosario side. Great view toward the Pass!

Another cool one that didn't make the CM cut is Battery 248 Multi-Cache at Fort Ebey State Park (along the CM route). You get to go inside an old gun battery for the first WP (bring a flashlight!), and the final is a short walk away.

And I'm sorry to see Goose Rock and Deception View come off, as they are two of the most scenic caches on Whidbey, but agree that, while the hikes are fairly short, they do take more than 5 minutes. :lol:

Deception Pass is a great area. Besides the two mentioned above, I recommend A Sharpe View on the Rosario side. Great view toward the Pass!

Another cool one that didn't make the CM cut is Battery 248 Multi-Cache at Fort Ebey State Park (along the CM route). You get to go inside an old gun battery for the first WP (bring a flashlight!), and the final is a short walk away.

THESE CACHES ARE REAL NEAT

I HOPE THEY GET ON THE CM ROUTE

The final route is here:

--> FINAL ROUTE <--

Changes from the previous draft, for those of you keeping score:

Removed:

GCC7BF Goose Rock (former #9, too long a hike)

GCE9F9 Deception Vier (former #10, too long a hike)

GC1A5K8 Grumman Ironworks (former #15, multi, owner request)

GCY2CT Wildcat Den TB Hotel (former #21, disabled)

Moved:

GCQ4EA Flower Power, former stop #2 to new stop #15 (business hours)

No additions since the last draft.

The start point is GC16RZF ("So easy a caveman can do it!"). We'll begin the hunt at 7:30 sharp, and leave as soon as the cache is found. (Not 7:00 a.m. I messed up on this forum topic's subtitle.)

Any changes to the route after this point will be posted here (look for my posts with the icon13.gif icon). Any changes after Friday morning, I'll announce on Saturday morning, if I'm aware of them.

See you all there!

Edited by travisl

I notice that stop #19, InFERNally Green, has a string of DNFs going back to September. Is it confirmed to be there?

And two of them belong to jcar and me.

I knew that name sounded familiar. I really think it's not there any longer...or if it is, it's moved from it's original location. There are also lots of sticker bushes at GZ.

I just logged a SBA on it since it hasn't been checked and the owner hasn't logged in since May.

I notice that stop #19, InFERNally Green, has a string of DNFs going back to September. Is it confirmed to be there?

And two of them belong to jcar and me.

I knew that name sounded familiar. I really think it's not there any longer...or if it is, it's moved from it's original location. There are also lots of sticker bushes at GZ.

I just logged a SBA on it since it hasn't been checked and the owner hasn't logged in since May.

Well, that got the owners attention.

They say they'll check the cache this week...I'll start holding my breath. :laughing:

Travis,

Can you e-mail me about the navigator situation you were talking about?

Thanks

Nick

hey

INFRENALLY GREEN IS NOW DISABLED

Cache is again active, after owner maintenance. Methinks the Difficulty rating might be a tad low.

Methinks the same thing...

Oh, and if I remember, there are no ferns in the region either...

Travis,

Thanks

Nick

hey

Cache is again active, after owner maintenance. Methinks the Difficulty rating might be a tad low.

WOW

that was quick

Travis,

Thanks

Nick

hey

WOW

that was quick

I explained the importance of knowing that this cache was there and available before 100 or so people looked for it this weekend...especially after that many DNFs.

For those that are Premium Member and are interested in more/all of the caches on the island, I previously created a "Caches Along a Route" from Clinton to the Deception Pass bridge. Feel free to use it if you wish.

Thanks Allanon

That was really usefull.

Hey - Don't forget, my Whidbey Island bookmark list has always had all of the caches on the Island. It's updated frequently and has every single one on there. I added the cache machine event cache to the list when it came out. To find the bookmark list, go here or pull up any cache on Whidbey and you'll see it bookmarked.

Edited by Lizzy

The final route is here:

--> FINAL ROUTE <--

Changes from the previous draft, for those of you keeping score:

Removed:

GCC7BF Goose Rock (former #9, too long a hike)

GCE9F9 Deception Vier (former #10, too long a hike)

GC1A5K8 Grumman Ironworks (former #15, multi, owner request)

GCY2CT Wildcat Den TB Hotel (former #21, disabled)

Moved:

GCQ4EA Flower Power, former stop #2 to new stop #15 (business hours)

No additions since the last draft.

The start point is GC16RZF ("So easy a caveman can do it!"). We'll begin the hunt at 7:30 sharp, and leave as soon as the cache is found. (Not 7:00 a.m. I messed up on this forum topic's subtitle.)

Any changes to the route after this point will be posted here (look for my posts with the icon13.gif icon). Any changes after Friday morning, I'll announce on Saturday morning, if I'm aware of them.

See you all there!

I thought I remembered reading this.

I was just talking to someone and this came up, so I checked the Event page and it still says 7:00 as well. :D

I was just talking to someone and this came up, so I checked the Event page and it still says 7:00 as well. :D

Crap. Sunrise is at 8:02, and civil twilight begins at 7:25, so 7:30 is the official start time. I've changed it on the event page now, too.

You'd think I'd have my numbers straight at some point.

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time at this horrible time, but I cannot seem to download a LOC or Pocket query and I really want both for my main GPS and my backup. If anybody would be so kind as to send these files to me for this Cache Machine route, I'd be REALLY REALLY happy.

My e-mail address is: normandcat@gmail.com

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

-Dwight

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time at this horrible time, but I cannot seem to download a LOC or Pocket query and I really want both for my main GPS and my backup. If anybody would be so kind as to send these files to me for this Cache Machine route, I'd be REALLY REALLY happy.

Done.

2.5 of my 3 team members will not be able to join me for the CM (1 is sick and unsure if he's going to make it). So, if anyone is looking for group to join for the CM give me a shout.

Always love to reply to myself... NormAndCat and I will be teaming up for this one. Not sure if Harpo Marx will be feeling well enough to join us. Either way, there's room for one more if there are any more CM lost souls out there.

It was a great one. Easily my favorite winter cache machine yet, and probably among the top 3 of the 17 I've attended.

The restaurant at the end did a great job, considering I told them to expect 50 people, they told me the room sat 50 people, and we agreed that any overflow could take the section next to the room. I was shocked when I arrived at 4:50 and the banquet room was already full. Sure, we had 71 "will attends" listed, but I figured that winter cache machines had a higher incidence of no-shows, and that the number of 2/3/4 person "attends" were offset by the no-shows. I was wrong.

Perhaps it's because I plan winter cache machines on the more populated side of the cascades. Perhaps it's because people can sleep in 'til 6:30. Perhaps people like caching in the cold and rain and snow. Perhaps people have nothing better to do and are on winter vacation, while they make more interesting plans for teh summer. Looking at the numbers, winter cache machines tend to be the most well attended. See the chart:

cmattendancemm4.gif

This is a long way, I guess, of saying that I'm the one to blame for the restaurant not expecting the crowd, not the restaurant itself. I think it all turned out great, though, and almost everyone (including me) had a great time.

I think it all turned out great, though, and almost everyone (including me) had a great time.

Yep. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Interesting attendance graph. I knew there were a lot of folks at Yakima II but this was beyond my estimate. Even with the passes barely passable on that Friday.