Can't open GPI files

Oak

I'm trying to work through Silly Garmin POI Tricks, but my computer can't open GPI files.

I just posted trying to get POIs into seperate folders and Klatch replied linking me to the above thread.

Thanks again Klatch. Unfortunately, when I click on the POI file, I get a dialog box telling me that my computer doesn't know which program created it and therefore can't open it.

Computers for Dummies is WAY over my head.

What do I need to open a GPI file?

Oak

Edited by Oak

What do I need to open a GPI file?

As far as I'm aware, these files can't be opened on a PC, at least not by Garmin-supplied software, and they don't need to be. They're generated by Garmin's POI Loader program just before the data is transferred to your GPS unit.

To create a GPI file, you need to first create a GPX or CSV (comma-separated-values) file with your data and (optionally) a bitmap (BMP) image file that will serve as the icon. You then use POI Loader to generate the GPI file and transfer it to your GPS unit.

To update a GPI file, you need to modify the data in the original GPX or CSV file, then use POI Loader to generate a replacement GPI file and transfer the information to your GPS unit.

Hope this makes sense!

--Larry

It looks to me like the Silly Garmin POI Tricks thread shows the OP adding folders and renaming them but they still have .gpi suffixes.

When I go to the POI folder on my Legend HCx, shown on my computer, with a .gpi suffix I can't open it to see what is in there.

Anyway, thanks for trying. The shortcoming is on my end.

Oak