What have you learned?

That no matter how difficult that cache seems, no matter how many DNFs you log on that cache, the next 5 people will log "easy cache", "got this one right away"....

That no matter how closely you try to monitor your time, that cache "right down the road that will only take a minute" will turn into 10 more caches, 50 more miles, & 3-4 hours longer than you planned (and that is IF you are lucky to get away that quickly!)

That showing up to work with weeds stuck to your pantyhose & stickers in your hair is ok if you get a FTF!

That once you hide/find your first cache you will dedicate a large portion of your trunk for ready-to-place caches for when you find that perfect spot, repair kits, jackets, old shoes/boots, variety of swag items, & whatever else you needed & didn't have last time.

That leaving the house without your GPS is just as awful as forgetting your cell phone.

That not checking your email in the morning might cause you to miss out on a FTF.

That explaining to your non-caching friends makes you realize that telling people about this hobby makes you look like a dork. You have to drag them out in order for them to fully appreciate it. (although they still think I'm a dork even after getting addicted to caching... :laughing: )

That work interferes with caching.

Oh my goodness, I've JUST started geocaching and already this sounds like me! Thanks for the chuckle!

I have learned...

more about map reading since I hide and seek by map and not GPS.

to trust my instincts.

to perservere.

to be patient.

to be bold.

to not care if non-players think that the person thrashing about in the bushes or lurking at odd spots is just a little bit crazy.

that yes, my inner child is alive and well.

more in the last year about the city, and indeed the world, that I live in then I did the previous 50 years.

What I've learned:

Have a few grocery store plastic bags with you at all times in winter. Best emergency-winter-boot ever! It may only last a short time before ripping apart, but that's usually enough to get you in and out of that snow.

A short quantity of string and strong, rigid wire can be invaluable to have in your caching kit.

Medical kits - no matter how short the trip is, have one in your caching kit. It'll seem like a space-waster most of the time, but the one time you DO need it makes it entirely worthwhile.

Caching with a buddy creates a great friendship.

Trees can grab your hair and try to rip it off your head.

If you hide a cache and are breathing heavy and bleeding you will have to move it by a few feet.

Sometimes a 1.1 can be harder then a 3.

That you start looking at the world differently. Everywhere becomes a potential hide location and everything becomes a potential cache.

Nobody quite understands what the hell you are talking about. Unless of course they are cachers.

When you forget water or snacks or any important equipment you will end up on a 2 hour or more hike that you were not planning up a giant mountain you didn't know existed.

That one last cache before dark will leave you walking down a mountain in the dark.

There will be firsts.

First maniacal running from a snake

First injury

First spider web eating/attacking experience

First poison oak

First meeting of a geocacher in the wild

First DNF

First Find

First running from bees

First reaching into a dark hole before looking

You also learn that a good day of geocaching means you will have leaves in your hair, dirt on your clothes and a smile on your face.

Children will see you when you least want them to. "mommy why are those two women in the bushes?" UGH

No matter what kind of hide you hide someone will complain.

Edited by Hellolost

There will be firsts.

First maniacal running from a snake

First injury

First spider web eating/attacking experience

First poison oak

First meeting of a geocacher in the wild

First DNF

First Find

First running from bees

First reaching into a dark hole before looking

You also learn that a good day of geocaching means you will have leaves in your hair, dirt on your clothes and a smile on your face.

Children will see you when you least want them to. "mommy why are those two women in the bushes?" UGH

No matter what kind of hide you hide someone will complain.

If the cache is near smelly water, put the dog on the leash!

I was going for a cache along a creek with that clay mud muck stuff; sure enough, my black lab went straight into the water! Good thing she rides in the BACK of the pickup! If I had to put her in a car, I would have been soooo pissed! I just laughed it off and gave her a bath at home.

that poison oak doesn't just grow in 'the woods'.

that poison ivy exists in Salt Lake City.

that I will always fall on my bottom.

that i will always get an injury on my bald head.

that i can't drive or talk while caching, without having an accident.

that snake kits won't help if they're left in the car.

that it doesn't matter how many pens or pencils i buy...i'll still leave them in the car.

Edited by Smokey Bear Collector

That no matter your good intentions when starting a thread there is "ALWAYS" someone waiting to flame you.

OH COME ON BRRRMO - HOW COULD YOU RUIN A PERFECTLY GOOD THREAD LIKE THIS WITH YOUR DOOM AND GLOOM!

Wow, I see what you mean :D:D:D

...sorry, couldn't resist the joke....... *slaps self on wrist*

Edited by kraushad

That no matter your good intentions when starting a thread there is "ALWAYS" someone waiting to flame you.

OH COME ON BRRRMO - HOW COULD YOU RUIN A PERFECTLY GOOD THREAD LIKE THIS WITH YOUR DOOM AND GLOOM!

Wow, I see what you mean ;):santa::santa:

...sorry, couldn't resist the joke....... *slaps self on wrist*

Very Good "Kraushad" That's the kind of flame that keeps the home fires burning. Loved it. ;>}

(edited, family friendly please)

Edited by BrrrMo

I have learnt that this is a lot more popular than I ever imagined, judging by the number of people talking about it here,and elsewhere on the web.

Am interested in finding other geocachers and landowners where geocaches are in my area, for an article for a newspaper in Central Lancashire? Interested - let me know - josie.hill@lep.co.uk

Also wondering where my nearest cache is so I can go and check it out - I live in central Preston!

Edited by Jovahi