mapping and managing hikes with gps?

Kaboomcult

I am starting to map my hike tracks and post them to my blog. I have been using mapsource, my maps google, to do everything. I was wondering if anyone knows of software that is good for working with tracks. Tips and tricks would be great too...

Also it would be completely awesome if I could add my track to my topo map so I could use it in the future to follow... I want to add it so it shows up on the gps like a trail or road. Is there a way to do this?

Jim

http://huskyhiker.com

I used National Geographic Topo Software, then used Photoshop to move the elevation profile to the position in the picture.

th_1100-Trip.jpg

Wow! That is a nice presentation!

I was going to suggest that you upload your track log into GSAK and export it as .loc .klm or .gpx file. You can open that up in a number of programs and Google Earth and then save as an image. But after seeing Kit Fox's solution, I'd have to say that the only advantage would be ease.

If you are going to map and log hikes, you should download and try SportTracks. Click on the thumbnail image below for the full size screen grab. In the lower left there is the elevation graph and statistics. There are other graphs you can choose. You can save this graph to a file. In the lower right is the map with your choice of aerial, topo, street maps. You can zoom in or out. You can save the image to a file and print.

You can click on a point on the track and it will give you the distance and time into your hike. It will also show the same point on the elevation graph, with the elevation. At the top of the page, you will see statistics for day, week, month (and you can show years also.) If I leave the house with my GPSr, the track is loaded into this program. It is a favorite.

sporttracksscreengrab3cql0.th.jpg

Edited by EScout

I use Delorme's 3D Topo Quads v2.0. It does a great job managing tracks and waypoints. Here's a sample of September's hike. This is a layer consisting of 3 separate tracks as they were 3 separate hikes over the Labor Day weekend on a double overnighter. If I chose to use it, the elevation profile can be included at the bottom of the page without doing any Photoshop work on it. It's all part of the package.

I'm a long time user of the Magellan Meridian Platinum, but it has settings for Garmin GPS as well. With my new Delorme GPS order scheduled to arrive on Monday, I'll be able to utilize aerial and satellite photography on both the map software and the GPS.

Edited by TotemLake

I use Delorme's 3D Topo Quads v2.0.

Speaking of DeLorme. I've been using the DeLorme Topo USA v6.0.

I find it to be a great program for keeping track of hikes. A little learning curve, but pretty powerful too. You can also create maps and share them with people as well by just sending them a link to click on.

Here is one of my mapshares with a profile attached: Hidden Arch Loop - Red River Gorge Kentucky

If you are going to map and log hikes, you should download and try SportTracks. Click on the thumbnail image below for the full size screen grab. In the lower left there is the elevation graph and statistics.

sporttracksscreengrab3cql0.th.jpg

Bummer... SportTracks doesn't support the CO/OR series directly.

But it does allow you to export directly to Google Earth. How did you get the maps to show up in the sporttrack software?

RE: Posts 11 &12:

For SportTracks, your track is loaded into the program several ways. Many Garmins can connect directly. Other than that, it needs a GPX file. If your GPS can export your track directly in GPX format, good. If not, use your map program on your PC to convert and export to GPX. Or use GPSBabel. For example, Magellans can use Vantage Point to export the GPX, or use GPSBable.

The map you see on the page is part of the SportTrack program. You can change the size of this map window, and the Summary/Elevation window.

(when you click on the thumbnail in my earlier post, click again on the image that appears in the new Tab for a larger view.)

I was going to suggest that you upload your track log into GSAK and export it as .loc .klm or .gpx file. You can open that up in a number of programs and Google Earth and then save as an image. But after seeing Kit Fox's solution, I'd have to say that the only advantage would be ease.

How do you import/upload a track into GSAK?

How do you import/upload a track into GSAK?

I am not aware of this working in GSAK.

Use the tools mentioned above to convert your track to GPX or KML files.

To summarize, if you have a PC mapping program that is made by your GPSr brand, try this.

For free programs:

Garmin: G7toWin, Mapsend lite, SportTracks.

Magellan: VantagePoint, GPSBabel, GPS Visualizer (online converter.)

Other brands can use GPSBabel, GPS Visualizer.